• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

School me on suppressors

Altoonabcm157

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2020
New jersey
I have been trying to do some research but frankly need some help here. Quick background I live in a state that I can’t have a suppressor so I really never did any research on them so I am starting from scratch.

Recently a friend in a free state started an NFA trust and I have been added to it so I plan to have another suppressor added to the trust for me when I shoot and hunt in free places.

Here’s my question. My main goal is to find a suppressor that will be on the upper end of noise reduction but will also have minimal effect on accuracy. From my reading direct thread will be better for the accuracy department. Main use will be hunting and range use. Even though I said hunting weight is not a major factor to me. I’m not looking for an anchor but not going to split hairs over ounces.

The caveat is that although main use is for a 30 cal magnum hunting rifle I wouldn’t mind being able to swap it on a few different target rifles or an AR if I choose to.

So what do you all recommend and why, is direct thread the way to go etc. largest caliber that will be fired through it is 300PRC smallest would be 5.56. School me so I don’t pull my hair out. Also budget is not really a concern but since it can’t live in my safe I’m not trying to spend 2k if it can be avoided for nearly identical performance to something that’s less.

I hate to be that guy but...
ARs really work best with a flow through suppressor. I've shot a buddy's DD 6.5 Creedmoor with a Gunwerks 8eight on it. The amount of blowback is enormous and necessitated the rifle be ran with shooting glasses. Don't get me wrong, it's a great can, I typically run it on my 7mm rem mag and 300 norma magnum. Not something I would carry around with.

I'm currently running KGM R30. It works really well and I use Area 419 to mount my suppressors when I can. KGM isn't currently making suppressors for us civilians, but Daniel Defense has picked up their workload. I'm really satisfied with my KGM suppressor as well as DD stuff.

TBAC Magnus, TBAC Dominus (shorter option), Abel Co Theorem.

If you want better suppression, you will want a large volume can (and good baffle design). If you want to maintain precision, you need a suppressor that's built to exacting tolerances, and a good mounting system. With ar-15's, you need to keep in mind mounting (see below), and back pressure.

Because you want to use on a bolt gun AND an ar-15, you should reconsider your mounting choice. Rarely will these two systems be in the same thread pattern. Yes, you can add adapters, which can work. But it will add potential for issues (potential tolerance stacking). I have similar uses as you, and have decided on using Rearden MFG mounts for my suppressor use. I use Rearden brakes for my bolt guns and different muzzle devices on my ar-15's. This will require you to select a suppressor that is using the 'HUB' format (1-3/8x24).

So
TBAC Magnus, TBAC Dominus (shorter option), Abel Co Theorem.

If you want better suppression, you will want a large volume can (and good baffle design). If you want to maintain precision, you need a suppressor that's built to exacting tolerances, and a good mounting system. With ar-15's, you need to keep in mind mounting (see below), and back pressure.

Because you want to use on a bolt gun AND an ar-15, you should reconsider your mounting choice. Rarely will these two systems be in the same thread pattern. Yes, you can add adapters, which can work. But it will add potential for issues (potential tolerance stacking). I have similar uses as you, and have decided on using Rearden MFG mounts for my suppressor use. I use Rearden brakes for my bolt guns and different muzzle devices on my ar-15's. This will require you to select a suppressor that is using the 'HUB' format (1-3/8x24).
so would you consider the magnus or dominus to be built to exact enough tolerances to be acceptable in a precision role?

For the use on an AR I really plan to rarely use it for that but was more interested in having the option to just in case so adapters are really that bad of an idea for that purpose?

So

so would you consider the magnus or dominus to be built to exact enough tolerances to be acceptable in a precision role?

For the use on an AR I really plan to rarely use it for that but was more interested in having the option to just in case so adapters are really that bad of an idea for that purpose?

TBAC is the gold standard for precision built cans for precision use.

I've been extremely impressed with my Abel can, it's got excellent quality and has performed admirably on my precision rifles.

I wouldn't say adapters are "that bad of an idea" - it's just something to think about. If you source adapters from quality manufacturers it shouldn't be an issue. The biggest issue may be the quality of the threading on the ar15 barrel, depending on the brand. I believe @reubenski goes this route, and he seems to have no issues.

Reactions: b6graham
So

TBAC cans ARE the precision cans on the market

With a van like the magnus is the point of impact shift going to be repeatable when I pull the brake and install the call switching back and forth state to state. Basically I’m wondering if I can essentially have two zeros. I’ve pulled and installed my brake enough times to know that doesn’t move my poi but will that suppressor have the same repeatability

The suppressor almost always moves the point of impact. But for me it is very repeatable.

With a van like the magnus is the point of impact shift going to be repeatable when I pull the brake and install the call switching back and forth state to state. Basically I’m wondering if I can essentially have two zeros. I’ve pulled and installed my brake enough times to know that doesn’t move my poi but will that suppressor have the same repeatability
Yes it will be repeatable. No it will not have the same POI as the brake or a bare muzzle.

Reactions: kthomas