• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

school me on the .243

savage110

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2009
USA
Looking at building a .243 as my new rig. Ive heard the Dtacs are what you want to shoot out of a .243, so what length barrel and twist should I go with? I am considering all barrel manufacturers but I really do like Krieger's. What reamer should I use on my build? What velocity should I expect from the Dtacs? And what barrel life is expected from this caliber?

Thanks
-Felipe

Re: school me on the .243

26" 1/7.8tw

I am going to rebarrel my savage with a mcgowen precision 1/8tw and plan on shooting the dtacs and amax's possibly.

I heard someone say the other day expect 1000-1250 if your really pushing the dtacs hard. I got 3250 with RL17 and 105 VLD's but im sure its pretty easy to see 3100 with dtacs.

got a kreiger on my surgeon 300 and thaats one slick mofo. it just doesnt hardly fowl at all they are great barrels , i will go back with kreigers on all my rifles

7.5 twist should do well. .243 is going to be harder on the barrel more than some comparative rounds. 1,000-1,500 rounds depending on several factors.

After reading David Tubb's article on the 6XC, I would lean towards that round over the .243

I shoot DTACs out of a 1-8 shilen with great results .5 moa or better(usually when someone else shoots the rifle). My 1-9 McGowen will shoot them but about the best I can do is 3/4". I use r-25 with the dtacs and imr4350 with the 105 amax. The 1-9 McGowen really likes the amax. If you wantto shoot the DTACs you will need a 1-8 or a 1-7.5 for best results. Check 6mmBR website they have some really good load data for the 243. As for barrel life you will get a wide range of answers anywhere from 1000 to 2500 rounds. But it is really going to depend on what barrel and how fast you push the bullet.

Wow only 1000-1500 rounds... LOL back to plan B (.260Rem)

I have put a lot work into choosing a cartridge for the past few months and figured I would share the results of my findings. Please note this is for Practical Precision shooting (PPS) from 50 – 1000 yards on steel or paper.

The players:

6mm: Includes 6x47 Lapua, .243, 6superLR and other similar cartridge

6.5mm: Includes .260, 6.5x47, 6.5CM, 6.5superLR and other similar cartridge

.308: I don’t really know of another 30cal round used. You can include any similar 30cal cartridge.

.223: I don’t really know of another 22cal round. You can include any similar 22cal cartridge.

7mm: Any of the big magnums 7mm. This includes WSSM, RSUM…

Why did I lump all the similar rounds together? Well, despite how much I love to argue the .260 vs. Lapua there is not much difference in the game we shoot (PPS). Which I guess leads us to the first area of concern accuracy.

What is the level of accuracy one should strive to achieve with a PPS gun? Really we are looking for 3/8 MOA at best. Remember this is off a folding bipod with a tactical style rear bag. We don’t shoot BR and it is very unrealistic to look for BR accuracy of a bipod. If your gun is more accurate than 3/8 MOA on a rest it does not matter at all. I have seen a few Randall built guns achieve this accuracy with properly developed loads and a good shooter. I know other builder’s rifles will too; I just don’t have much experience with them.

Reloading is something I personally was hoping to “game the system” on. I thought man if I point my bullet, neck turn my cases, bla bla bla my gun would be more accurate then the next guy and I would beat him. This is simply not true. You only need to spend as much time to get you gun shooting ½ MOA and you are good to go. The real advantage is ladder testing to find the best performing load at 600+ yards.

Remember even if you do all the cool brass and bullet prep tricks on 6mmbr.com you are still gong to struggle shooting better than 3/8 MOA of the bipod. Then you will most likely lose the bass in the big matches you spent hours working on.

Before I get into the specifics of the cartridges let’s review the guns themselves. What make up a PPS comp gun? Well, we first must look at what we use them for. They are used prone, positional shooting, moved and packed in competition. We also use them for shooting both short and long distances in varying weather conditions and environments.

Lets break it down.

The Rifle including all parts should come in around 16#. You can go heavier if you are large framed guy. For the average guy this is about as heavy as you want to go.

Actions: Actions should be true and straight. Have the clearance needed to perform with some grit or water in them. Do you need a custom action to do this? NO. Will a fluted bolt help? NO. Take cosmetic upgrades for what they are, cosmetic. The cool new BR actions might be the best thing ever but it’s not the best choice for PPS.

Short actions are the preferred action for what we do. They allow most shooters to stay on the gun when cycling the bolt, they are lighter and stiffer than Long actions. Long actions could allow you to run a “middle” cartridge like a 6.5/284, a round that sits between the 6.5mm and magnum 7mms. Only go down this route if you are a shooter with a large frame, 6’2” plus.

Barrels: A few things to look at like SS vs. CM, bottom rifling vs. cut… Bottom line is you want a cut rifle barrel form a good vendor. Why is beyond this article.

Contour: Contour is one that is often over done in “tactical” shooting. What is tactical shooting anyway? I look at our sport as practical precision shooting (PPS). We are required to make the 1st & 50th round hit in competition without time to clean or prep the barrel in anyway between rounds. The rifle must be shot off hand, prone, out of a car and transported during the matches. I often see the guy building “tactical” rifles installing a MTU or other truck axels because it looks cool. If you do this that is fine but please know it is only a cosmetic upgrade will most likely hurt you in the end.

The recommend barrel contour is a standard or medium palma barrel. This will allow you to shot long strings of fire balanced with portability. If you are shooting a big 7mm round or .308 a heavy palma might work better because of the large bore of the cartridge. Only do this if your frame allows you comfortably use the rifle. Once again the larger framed shooters have an advantage here. A 6’4” 230 guy is going to be able to shoot a heavier rifle than me at 5’11 – 175lbs.

What about barrel length? 26” is the standard; you can go up to 28” if you are trying to squeeze a few extra FPS or down to 24” if it helps you shoot better. All of the short barrel, tight bore crap is BS and please don’t pay any attention to it. Every inch you remove off your barrel you will lose velocity. A tight bore barrel will not help you gain speed back all it does is raise pressure with the same powder charge. We don’t need to raise pressure with a tight bore barrel because when reloadingwe can just add more powder. Adding powder will always give more velocity than seating into the lands or tight bore barrels to get the pressure up with a lesser powder charge.

Triggers: Can’t go wrong with a Timney. They work well and are proven reliable. Jewell and others are nice, very nice but have not proven to be as reliable as the Timney. You don’t want a trigger lighter than 1.5lbs in our game. Maybe you can shoot a 2oz trigger off a bench well but try that when shooting out of the back of a car, under a time, on a 100 degree day.

Bottom metal: Just buy the R&D bottom metal and call it done. Others will work too; just make sure you have mags that feed ten and five rounds.

Stock: choose one that fits you well and comes in the weight limit.

Why is all this gun stuff important in a cartage thread? It all comes down to felt recoil but more on that later. Now lets jump into the performance of each round assuming the guns will have 26” barrels and average pressure loads.

The 6mm rounds can drive a 115gr bullet around 2950 or the 107’s at 3050. The 6mm’s best BC bullet available is the 115gr DTAC.

Wind drift at 1000 yards in 10 mph wind.
107SMK – 2.1 mil
115JLK – 2.0 mil

Free recoil energy in (ft/lbs) 5.2. A 243 does not require a brake but might recoil slightly more that a .260 with one.

The expected barrel life for a .243is in the range on 1500 – 1700 rounds. You might get more or less based on how hard you push it.

The 6.5mm’s (.260) can drive a 140gr bullet in the 2850 range. This is interesting because unless you shoot a custom or Burgers bullets you gain noting over the 243. The .260 recoils more, is more expensive and more complex to reload than a 243. It does have a small advantage in barrel life but that is naturalized by the bullet cost. Also, note the custom bullets can be very hard to get most of the time and may be backordered a year or more. The Berger is a good balance but is a VLD and only adds the the load dev issues of the .260.

142SMK – 1.9 mil
140JLK – 1.7 mil
140BerVLD – 1.8 mil

Free recoil energy in (ft/lbs) 6.7. This is a bit high for a PPS comp gun and it’s recommend 6.5 shooters install a muzzle brake.

The expected barrel life for a .260 is in the range on 1800 – 2000 rounds. You might get more or less based on how hard you push it.

You can shoot 130, or 123 in a 6.5mm but I can’t see why you would. A 6mm will beat them in the wind with less drop and recoil.

The 30cal rounds have a wide range of bullets from 155grs to 240grs. Let’s look at some of the more common ones.

155SMK – 2.7 mil
175SMK– 2.7 mil
190berg - 2.3 mil

Free recoil energy in (ft/lbs) of a .308 ranges from 8 -9.5. They have much more recoil then the 6/6.5 and are almost always shot with a brake.

The expected barrel life for a .308 is in the range on 4000+ rounds.

The .308 even with the heavies can’t hang with the 6/6.5mm but does have the advantage in you can find many of the shelf rifles, factory ammo and a long barrel life. This is why we recommended them for new shooters.

The 223 is often over looked but can be more competitive than the average .308 shooting 175. It offers good barrel life, little recoil, inexpensive reloading at the cost of impact signature on steel. It should not matter as hit is a hit but the spotters need to see the hit. When looking at the .223 the heavy bullets are key, seated way out to AI 223 mag length.

90bergerVLD – 2.2 mil
80gr SMK– 2.9 mil

Free recoil energy in (ft/lbs) 2.5. A 223 does not require a brake at all.

The expected barrel life for a .223 is in the range on 2500 -3000 rounds. You might get more or less based on how hard you push it.

Really the 223 pushing the 90gr bullets by the speed provided via R17 is a great little round. I was really surprised by the numbers. For the shooter that does not get past 600 much and cost is a concern it’s my number one choice.

The 7mm mag rounds are the kings for wind performance, recoil and cost. But what else can drive a very high BC 180gr bullet @ 2950 or better?

180berger – 1.6 mil

Free recoil energy in (ft/lbs) 11.7. Wow, that is over 2x the .243, you will want a brake and maybe add a few lbs to the rifle to get this down.

The expected barrel life for a 7wsw is in the range of 1000 - 1200 rounds. You might get more or less based on how hard you push it.

The 7wsm or other mags don’t make since as a primary rife. They simply cost a lot to reload, are very hard on barrels, and require a heavy rifle to get the recoil down. One would be nice to have for the windy days or for all prone shooting so the weight was not an issue.

So what did i choose to do... I am going to run a 6.5 for comps shooting the JLKs and a 223 for local matches shooting the 90gr bullets. I have some barrels to burn up setting on the shelf first so you will see a 243. and some other stuff along the way.

Wow thanks for the write up man! If the .260 is only going to give me a few hundred rounds more then I think ill stick with a .243. I though the .260's were good until about 4000 rounds?

264charlie excellent post. The DTAC was one of the reasons I went with the 243 but my rifle's both liked the amax so well I went with it. Your info on the 6.5 has me thinking about another build.

Not even close to 4k with a 260. At least not with match accuracy.

264Charlie,

That was an excellent post!

A couple of things I would throw in. I'm running the 6mm super lr and easily getting 3200 with 105 vld's and 107's running VV N160. The advantage of this powder is that it burns much cooler reducing barrel wear. I've just switched over to this load recently, but I like what I see so far.

My understanding from others who have used this in 243, 6cm, etc is that barrel life is significantly improved to the 2000 rd mark even running at these velocities.

We'll see! (while keeping my fingers crossed)

.264, great post,

I totally agree the .223 is a great round that is often overlooked. I choose the .260 over the .243 but only becouse I have had such good luck with the round. Both are great!

Kreiger or Bartlien barrels and a good match reamer by PT&G and your good to go. Also, you can throat it seperetly to whatever bullet OAL you choose.

I would try the 105 A-max for sure - great Comp and hunting round.

Good Luck,

JamieD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264Charlie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have put a lot work into choosing a cartridge for the past few months and figured I would share the results of my findings. Please note this is for Practical Precision shooting (PPS) from 50 – 1000 yards on steel or paper.

The players:

6mm: Includes 6x47 Lapua, .243, 6superLR and other similar cartridge

6.5mm: Includes .260, 6.5x47, 6.5CM, 6.5superLR and other similar cartridge

.308: I don’t really know of another 30cal round used. You can include any similar 30cal cartridge.

.223: I don’t really know of another 22cal round. You can include any similar 22cal cartridge.

7mm: Any of the big magnums 7mm. This includes WSSM, RSUM…

Why did I lump all the similar rounds together? Well, despite how much I love to argue the .260 vs. Lapua there is not much difference in the game we shoot (PPS). Which I guess leads us to the first area of concern accuracy.

What is the level of accuracy one should strive to achieve with a PPS gun? Really we are looking for 3/8 MOA at best. Remember this is off a folding bipod with a tactical style rear bag. We don’t shoot BR and it is very unrealistic to look for BR accuracy of a bipod. If your gun is more accurate than 3/8 MOA on a rest it does not matter at all. I have seen a few Randall built guns achieve this accuracy with properly developed loads and a good shooter. I know other builder’s rifles will too; I just don’t have much experience with them.

Reloading is something I personally was hoping to “game the system” on. I thought man if I point my bullet, neck turn my cases, bla bla bla my gun would be more accurate then the next guy and I would beat him. This is simply not true. You only need to spend as much time to get you gun shooting ½ MOA and you are good to go. The real advantage is ladder testing to find the best performing load at 600+ yards.

Remember even if you do all the cool brass and bullet prep tricks on 6mmbr.com you are still gong to struggle shooting better than 3/8 MOA of the bipod. Then you will most likely lose the bass in the big matches you spent hours working on.

Before I get into the specifics of the cartridges let’s review the guns themselves. What make up a PPS comp gun? Well, we first must look at what we use them for. They are used prone, positional shooting, moved and packed in competition. We also use them for shooting both short and long distances in varying weather conditions and environments.

Lets break it down.

The Rifle including all parts should come in around 16#. You can go heavier if you are large framed guy. For the average guy this is about as heavy as you want to go.

Actions: Actions should be true and straight. Have the clearance needed to perform with some grit or water in them. Do you need a custom action to do this? NO. Will a fluted bolt help? NO. Take cosmetic upgrades for what they are, cosmetic. The cool new BR actions might be the best thing ever but it’s not the best choice for PPS.

Short actions are the preferred action for what we do. They allow most shooters to stay on the gun when cycling the bolt, they are lighter and stiffer than Long actions. Long actions could allow you to run a “middle” cartridge like a 6.5/284, a round that sits between the 6.5mm and magnum 7mms. Only go down this route if you are a shooter with a large frame, 6’2” plus.

Barrels: A few things to look at like SS vs. CM, bottom rifling vs. cut… Bottom line is you want a cut rifle barrel form a good vendor. Why is beyond this article.

Contour: Contour is one that is often over done in “tactical” shooting. What is tactical shooting anyway? I look at our sport as practical precision shooting (PPS). We are required to make the 1st & 50th round hit in competition without time to clean or prep the barrel in anyway between rounds. The rifle must be shot off hand, prone, out of a car and transported during the matches. I often see the guy building “tactical” rifles installing a MTU or other truck axels because it looks cool. If you do this that is fine but please know it is only a cosmetic upgrade will most likely hurt you in the end.

The recommend barrel contour is a standard or medium palma barrel. This will allow you to shot long strings of fire balanced with portability. If you are shooting a big 7mm round or .308 a heavy palma might work better because of the large bore of the cartridge. Only do this if your frame allows you comfortably use the rifle. Once again the larger framed shooters have an advantage here. A 6’4” 230 guy is going to be able to shoot a heavier rifle than me at 5’11 – 175lbs.

What about barrel length? 26” is the standard; you can go up to 28” if you are trying to squeeze a few extra FPS or down to 24” if it helps you shoot better. All of the short barrel, tight bore crap is BS and please don’t pay any attention to it. Every inch you remove off your barrel you will lose velocity. A tight bore barrel will not help you gain speed back all it does is raise pressure with the same powder charge. We don’t need to raise pressure with a tight bore barrel because when reloadingwe can just add more powder. Adding powder will always give more velocity than seating into the lands or tight bore barrels to get the pressure up with a lesser powder charge.

Triggers: Can’t go wrong with a Timney. They work well and are proven reliable. Jewell and others are nice, very nice but have not proven to be as reliable as the Timney. You don’t want a trigger lighter than 1.5lbs in our game. Maybe you can shoot a 2oz trigger off a bench well but try that when shooting out of the back of a car, under a time, on a 100 degree day.

Bottom metal: Just buy the R&D bottom metal and call it done. Others will work too; just make sure you have mags that feed ten and five rounds.

Stock: choose one that fits you well and comes in the weight limit.

Why is all this gun stuff important in a cartage thread? It all comes down to felt recoil but more on that later. Now lets jump into the performance of each round assuming the guns will have 26” barrels and average pressure loads.

The 6mm rounds can drive a 115gr bullet around 2950 or the 107’s at 3050. The 6mm’s best BC bullet available is the 115gr DTAC.

107SMK – 2.1 mil
115JLK – 2.0 mil

Free recoil energy in (ft/lbs) 5.2. A 243 does not require a brake but might recoil slightly more that a .260 with one.

The expected barrel life for a .243is in the range on 1500 – 1700 rounds. You might get more or less based on how hard you push it.

The 6.5mm’s (.260) can drive a 140gr bullet in the 2850 range. This is interesting because unless you shoot a custom or Burgers bullets you gain noting over the 243. The .260 recoils more, is more expensive and more complex to reload than a 243. It does have a small advantage in barrel life but that is naturalized by the bullet cost. Also, note the custom bullets can be very hard to get most of the time and may be backordered a year or more. The Berger is a good balance but is a VLD and only adds the the load dev issues of the .260.

142SMK – 1.9 mil
140JLK – 1.7 mil
140BerVLD – 1.8 mil

Free recoil energy in (ft/lbs) 6.7. This is a bit high for a PPS comp gun and it’s recommend 6.5 shooters install a muzzle brake.

The expected barrel life for a .260 is in the range on 1800 – 2000 rounds. You might get more or less based on how hard you push it.

You can shoot 130, or 123 in a 6.5mm but I can’t see why you would. A 6mm will beat them in the wind with less drop and recoil.

The 30cal rounds have a wide range of bullets from 155grs to 240grs. Let’s look at some of the more common ones.

155SMK – 2.7 mil
175SMK– 2.7 mil
190berg - 2.3 mil

Free recoil energy in (ft/lbs) of a .308 ranges from 8 -9.5. They have much more recoil then the 6/6.5 and are almost always shot with a brake.

The expected barrel life for a .308 is in the range on 4000+ rounds.

The .308 even with the heavies can’t hang with the 6/6.5mm but does have the advantage in you can find many of the shelf rifles, factory ammo and a long barrel life. This is why we recommended them for new shooters.

The 223 is often over looked but can be more competitive than the average .308 shooting 175. It offers good barrel life, little recoil, inexpensive reloading at the cost of impact signature on steel. It should not matter as hit is a hit but the spotters need to see the hit. When looking at the .223 the heavy bullets are key, seated way out to AI 223 mag length.

90bergerVLD – 2.2 mil
80gr SMK– 2.9 mil

Free recoil energy in (ft/lbs) 2.5. A 223 does not require a brake at all.

The expected barrel life for a .223 is in the range on 2500 -3000 rounds. You might get more or less based on how hard you push it.

Really the 223 pushing the 90gr bullets by the speed provided via R17 is a great little round. I was really surprised by the numbers. For the shooter that does not get past 600 much and cost is a concern it’s my number one choice.

The 7mm mag rounds are the kings for wind performance, recoil and cost. But what else can drive a very high BC 180gr bullet @ 2950 or better?

180berger – 1.6 mil

Free recoil energy in (ft/lbs) 11.7. Wow, that is over 2x the .243, you will want a brake and maybe add a few lbs to the rifle to get this down.

The expected barrel life for a 7wsw is in the range of 1000 - 1200 rounds. You might get more or less based on how hard you push it.

The 7wsm or other mags don’t make since as a primary rife. They simply cost a lot to reload, are very hard on barrels, and require a heavy rifle to get the recoil down. One would be nice to have for the windy days or for all prone shooting so the weight was not an issue.

So what did i choose to do... I am going to run a 6.5 for comps shooting the JLKs and a 223 for local matches shooting the 90gr bullets. I have some barrels to burn up setting on the shelf first so you will see a 243. and some other stuff along the way. </div></div>

Good post Charlie!

Some info.

My first 6x47L barrel lasted about 2300 and 2cnd 1500.This is with DTACS in the 3050-3100 fps range.

I have a new strategy this time around.A friend and I are sending our new barrels off to get them nitrided.I'm also changing my loads.I'm going to back down the velocity to the lowest barrel node,probably low 2900's and use a slower powder for the case,like H4831 or even H-1000.Less heat and throat erosion.Hopefully the result will be a 5000 round barrel life or so.The new DTACS with more closed hollow point should make up for some of the lost velocity because of the slightly higher BC compared to the old DTACS.All theory at this point but I'll try it anyway.

We have some guys playing with Melonite I am waiting results. I might think my 6.5x47 will get around 2300 -2400 but I don't push it. We have had some guys 260's barrels go bad in 1500 or less.

The models above are all based on the same #'s. You could extend or shorten any of the barrel life numbers by playing with loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ouch!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I got 3250 with RL17 and 105 VLD's but im sure its pretty easy to see 3100 with dtacs. </div></div>

Hey, what's your powder charge for that RL17 and the 105's? Just about to start loading for that same round myself and could use a good starting place.

That was at 42.3gr...you might want to start low I really pushed the round. I used lapua brass, fed 215 primers and RL17...I dont know what your elevation or temperature is so be very very careful working that load up. You should probably start around 38.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ouch!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That was at 42.3gr...you might want to start low I really pushed the round. I used lapua brass, fed 215 primers and RL17...I dont know what your elevation or temperature is so be very very careful working that load up. You should probably start around 38.</div></div>

Holy shit i would start even lower, apparently rl17 has crazy different batches. i am using 37.2gr or rl17 with my 6x47 and i am getting 2920fps with the 115dtacs cci 450 primers. 70 degrees basically at sea level (i live on an island). mind you i have absolutely no pressure signs but that is how i prefer it that way when it gets hot i don't have to worry about blowing primers.

Yeah I blew a little past the primer on a few
frown.gif
but that was with an even hotter load. It was pretty cold when I was working this up. I have since switched over to some h4350 since it finally came in locally.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ouch!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That was at 42.3gr...you might want to start low I really pushed the round. I used lapua brass, fed 215 primers and RL17...I dont know what your elevation or temperature is so be very very careful working that load up. You should probably start around 38. </div></div>

Looking at the limited data for this powder, that does look pretty hot. I guess I'll start at 36 and work up from there.

What about a 284 winchester in a short action (more recoil) running 162gr Amax (BC .625 or so Hornady says) at 2900 fps. What would the barrel life be like on that? Reason for asking is I want a good tactical rifle while still being able to hunt at longer ranges.

Thanks mike, do you think different barrels will yield different mileage?

I'm not a huge proponent on one barrel over another if they're a good manufacturer. I will say that I think 1:7.5 is best although there will be plenty who have used a 1:8. Also, if and when I go back to a 6mm it will be with a gain twist barrel.

My barrel was a Schneider.

Have been shooting a 6 Dasher for a year or so and really like the performance and efficiency of the round. Pushing 105 Amax at 3010 with 33 gr. of IMR 8208, 105 Berger at 2970 with same charge. Haven't tried the Dtacs yet but on the list. It has around 1100 rounds on it now and still shoots 1/2 moa. Hoping for at least 3000 rounds before a rebarrel. Recoil is very mild and it doesn't heat up real quick.

Also think the fast twist .223 is a real choice when shooting 90 gr. Bergers. Fast twist 22-250 might even be better. 6XC is right in there also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bronco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have been shooting a 6 Dasher for a year or so and really like the performance and efficiency of the round. Pushing 105 Amax at 3010 with 33 gr. of IMR 8208, 105 Berger at 2970 with same charge. Haven't tried the Dtacs yet but on the list. It has around 1100 rounds on it now and still shoots 1/2 moa. Hoping for at least 3000 rounds before a rebarrel. Recoil is very mild and it doesn't heat up real quick.

Also think the fast twist .223 is a real choice when shooting 90 gr. Bergers. Fast twist 22-250 might even be better. 6XC is right in there also.</div></div>

man you are making me really miss my 6 dasher. what length is your barrel? i only had a 26" but i could push 105's over 2900 also.

You guys are getting me all depressed about barrel life here. I bought a used 6.5x47 barrel with 1200 rounds through it, thinking it would be good for 5-6000 or so. It might already be spent!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys are getting me all depressed about barrel life here. I bought a used 6.5x47 barrel with 1200 rounds through it, thinking it would be good for 5-6000 or so. It might already be spent!</div></div>

nah...they will go longer than 1200

You can hope for 2400 with a reasonable load. You will not get anywere close to 3000 if you are expecting match accuracy.

Sorry man.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys are getting me all depressed about barrel life here. I bought a used 6.5x47 barrel with 1200 rounds through it, thinking it would be good for 5-6000 or so. It might already be spent! </div></div>

Sorry to hear that!

Have the smith wack a couple inches off on the chamber end then you might get another 1000 or so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264Charlie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can hope for 2400 with a reasonable load. You will not get anywere close to 3000 if you are expecting match accuracy.

Sorry man. </div></div>

WRONG

Again, real experience proves otherwise. There have been many GAP built 243s that can go to 3k with match accuracy. In fact Moon shot a rifle and won the 1000 yard shot with a 243 with >3k rounds that was still holding sub moa.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bronco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have been shooting a 6 Dasher for a year or so and really like the performance and efficiency of the round. Pushing 105 Amax at 3010 with 33 gr. of IMR 8208, 105 Berger at 2970 with same charge. Haven't tried the Dtacs yet but on the list. It has around 1100 rounds on it now and still shoots 1/2 moa. Hoping for at least 3000 rounds before a rebarrel. Recoil is very mild and it doesn't heat up real quick.

Also think the fast twist .223 is a real choice when shooting 90 gr. Bergers. Fast twist 22-250 might even be better. 6XC is right in there also.</div></div>

man you are making me really miss my 6 dasher. what length is your barrel? i only had a 26" but i could push 105's over 2900 also. </div></div>

Barrel is a 24" 1 in 7.8 Krieger, I usually shoot with a AAC suppressor. It's a keeper!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264Charlie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can hope for 2400 with a reasonable load. You will not get anywere close to 3000 if you are expecting match accuracy.

Sorry man. </div></div>

WRONG

Again, real experience proves otherwise. There have been many GAP built 243s that can go to 3k with match accuracy. In fact Moon shot a rifle and won the 1000 yard shot with a 243 with >3k rounds that was still holding sub moa.
</div></div>

Don't quote me on this Mike, but I think he was talking about the 6.5x47. Which I would still disagree with him as I have seen many guys running 6.5's well past 2400 rounds with great accuracy.

What is match accuracy to you? I never never seen a match won by a 243 or 260 with over 2000 rounds.

But hey please guys please shoot them to 3k on matches I am at.

3000 rounds out of a .243? What do you shoot 1 round a day? If youre shooting in match conditions, say with strings of fire up to ten rounds in quick succession, there is no way in hell you will get to 3000. If youre shooting F-CLASS with 20 minute par times then maybe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264Charlie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is match accuracy to you? I never never seen a match won by a 243 or 260 with over 2000 rounds.

But hey please guys please shoot them to 3k on matches I am at. </div></div>

Another know it all. Your saying a 243 with over 2000 rounds on the barrel is not accurate? Now that is funny. I have 1800 on mine right now and it still shoots like the day I got it.

Please stop commenting like you know what your talking about.

I asked what people are considering match accuracy? How is that a know it all?

I am saying a 243 with 2000 rounds fired in match conditions with match loads will not be competitive in the matches held out west. To be competitive you need a gun (and shooter) that can hold at least 1/2MOA of a bipod. Most of the 243 driven hard to keep up with the 260s are getting flyers at 1200 -1500.

My match .243 was only shot at tactical/sniper matches and the first hundred rounds or so for load development. Lots of fast shooting. Has about 1800 rounds through it now and it's well under 1/2 MOA still. No flyers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264Charlie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I asked what people are considering match accuracy? How is that a know it all?

I am saying a 243 with 2000 rounds fired in match conditions with match loads will not be competitive in the matches held out west. To be competitive you need a gun (and shooter) that can hold at least 1/2MOA of a bipod. Most of the 243 driven hard to keep up with the 260s are getting flyers at 1200 -1500.

</div></div>

So your saying the .243 isnt a good rifle compared to a .260 out west?

Really? Read the whole thread... I said the 243 is a great rife. Now if you are shooting loads to get 3k or barrel life you wold be better of with a .260.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264Charlie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I asked what people are considering match accuracy? How is that a know it all?

</div></div>

Charlie is giving good averages of what would be expected for a 243 or 260's barrel life for match accuracy.

There is always exceptions and there are always differing contributing factors to barrel wear from ,types of powders used,baring surface of bullets,pressures loaded,rates of fire and heat,hardness of barrel and I'm sure there's more.

Short range Benchrest shooters usually start to notice a degradation in accuracy at 700-800 rounds.Take that for what it's worth but to me it says that my 6x47L barrel probably isn't shooting as good as when it was new by the 1000 round mark.

Also as a bizarre Tale of woe and reminder of barrel wear...

In my earlier post I mentioned that my 2 barrels wore out at 2300 for the first and 1500 rounds for the 2ncd.Ironically they both wore out at the same match exactly 1 year apart from each other.The first year I won a 1000Y stage with a 7" group on the 1st day and at the end of the 2cnd day at the 100Y paper stage I couldn't hit a 1" smiley.The gun was shooting 2.5" groups.I found myself in the exact situation at 100Y with the 2cnd barrel at 100Y the next year.
cry.gif

Now you know why I'm more concerned with barrel life than most.

OK guys I give up...

some notes on the DOPE listed.. They are all build of the same model. You might need more or less based on the DA you are shooting in.

If any of you 3000 -4000 243 or 260 shooters are shooting TBRC I would love to see them in action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264Charlie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is match accuracy to you? I never never seen a match won by a 243 or 260 with over 2000 rounds.

But hey please guys please shoot them to 3k on matches I am at. </div></div>

Another know it all. Your saying a 243 with over 2000 rounds on the barrel is not accurate? Now that is funny. I have 1800 on mine right now and it still shoots like the day I got it.

Please stop commenting like you know what your talking about. </div></div>

Are you sure "Charlies" the know it all? What are you......freakin bored and feel like pickin a fight? Do us all a favor and go back to watching "Shooter" and petting your rifle with grand thoughts of glory and stay the hell out of theconversation.

Charlie is posting good info based on our experiences shooting fast paced tactical precision rifle comps montly. Keep in mind that most of the competators we shoot with are using .243 .260 and 6.5' s with the very reults he is posting here.

That's my input to this post. This is a dead end argument.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow only 1000-1500 rounds... LOL back to plan B (.260Rem) </div></div>That's the way I would go.

For those thinking .260 is the way, Vu and his crew are big .260 shooters, and IIRC he said they were getting about 2600-2800 out of their barrels.

I might be wrong on that though, I'm trying to remember a SB conversation.

Well the accurate rounds out of a 308 are normally said 4k+ for sure. Now you take a smaller bore of a 260 and you get less then that, and now you make even a smaller one with the same casing and you will get less then that. There is not an easy way to get a perfect number of rounds, but if I'd have to guess it would be like this.
308 (4000-8000) 260 (2000-4000) 243 (1000-2000) plus or minus 500

Hey 264 I wasnt meaning to pick a fight lol. I was just noticing how you said it...and was wondering if this was a west coast east coast battle royal
smile.gif

Either way some interesting reading here. I like my .243 and Im sure everyone is a little biased towards the rifles they choose and shoot for a reason.

264charlie,

Interesting observations. I agree with almost all that you said, but after pondering your tome, I have several questions:

1) How is the .260 Rem "more complicated" to reload than a 243 Win?

2) Has it escaped your notice that Berger also makes a 6.5 mm 140 LRBT non-VLD bullet. It will also only drift 1.9 mils @ 1000 yds in a 10 MPH wind. And it's not as persnickety to reload as the VLD clan can be.

3) In the 7mm clan, no 7mm-08...Hmmmm a 162 gr A-Max @ 2725 FPS drifts 2.0 Mils @ 1000 YDS in a 10 mph wind. And will get 3000 round plus before needing a new barrel. You don't need a 7mm magnum to get the full benefit of High BC 284 bullets.

None of my questions should be taken as a criticism of your excellent post. I just think you are missing a few items, and just curious why.

Thanks,

Bob

Oh, I'm not driving my 243 hard at all: 2930 fps with 39gr H4350. So, that's not true either.
</div></div>

Well Charlie, I shoot out in the windy west and I use a 243 every weekend at the 500, 600, 1K F-Class matches. I'm up to 2500 rounds and just shot a 586 at a 600 yard match at Ben Avery. Furthermore, my son and I shoot same rifle. So, we put 140 rounds through it in one match and I don't clean in for at least 2 matches. Both he and I continue to shoot personal best scores. I think a 580+ on an F-Class target indicates the barrel is still shooting under 1/2 MOA: not burned out by my standards and I'm competing for the win on a regular basis.

Some "knowledgeable" shooters told me I was only gonna get 1000-1200 rounds out of my barrel. Well, I continue kicking their butts with my "burned-out" barrel and the round count continues higher.
smile.gif
Wind has such a huge impact on long range shooting: I don't think you need any better than a 1/2 MOA rifle to win. Benchrest shooters throw their barrels out after 1000 rounds. But their game is way different than tactical or even F-Class.

Oh, and I'm not pushing my 243 "hard to keep up with the 260." 2930FPS with 39.0 grains of H4350.

Next time I rebarrel, plan on getting it nitrided. Heard from plenty of folks now that it extends the barrel life quite a bit. I hoping for $60 extra, that treatment will get me closer to 4,000 rounds of barrel life....on a 243.