• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

School me on the 6.5 Creedmoor

Jethro3898

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2011
Dothan, AL
Guys,

I am planning a target/comp. rifle build and have pretty much settled on 6.5 Creedmoor. It seems like a great round and since I don't yet reload, seems like it is a good choice. I'd like to ask for some assistance regarding the barrel from you guys who are well versed in this chambering.

Through my searches on here I've seen that the general consensus is that roughly a 26" barrel is a good bet. What contour do you guys suggest for a 6.5? I'd like to avoid a rifle that is muzzle heavy.

What type of rifling? I assume a 1 in 8 twist, but what about the type (5R, etc.)?

I'd love some input from you guys who have a 6.5 Creedmoor. Any other specific information you think I need to know, please share.....I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance.

Re: School me on the 6.5 Creedmoor

Med Palma Contour. 24-26" depending on whether you want to run a brake.

Get a 8-8.5 twist barrel from a top tier barrelmaker, IMO type of rifling is personal preference.

For Max speed, I would go 26", either 1:8 or 1:8.5 ( i went with a 1:8 to ensure I could run heavy stuff in my 260)

Here is a follow up question, if one owns a .260 already, is there any reason to get a 6.5CM other than to just have a 6.5CM? I have been trying to talk myself into getting a 6.5CM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REL1203</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For Max speed, I would go 26", either 1:8 or 1:8.5 ( i went with a 1:8 to ensure I could run heavy stuff in my 260)

Here is a follow up question, if one owns a .260 already, is there any reason to get a 6.5CM other than to just have a 6.5CM? I have been trying to talk myself into getting a 6.5CM. </div></div>

When you burn the .260Rem out, rebarrel in 6.5CM. The 6.5CM won't do anything more than the .260 does but variety is the spice of life.

I would look hard at krieger barrels just as the OP said 1 in 8 or 1 in 8.5. The creedmoor is a great choice. Get a good trigger like jewel. A good stock like mcmillan or maners you can skip all the drama and get a surgeon action it will cost close to the same as getting a remington up to speed. Badger bottom metal and grate Optics rings and mount. After that you just need to get good with it.

26" med Palma in 8 twist will work. Rifling doesnt matter much as long as it comes from a quality maker. 5R, 4 or 6 groove won't make a difference. I like to use Bartlein barrels. They make excellent barrels.

My Creedmoor had a 28" MTU profile barrel but it's been set back to about 26.5". It was built by GAP with their Templar action, Manners T3 stock and Badger DBM. Shoots factory 140 AMAX great. It's what I use in matches.

6.5 CM is pretty much my favorite thing to build these days.
The best success I've had in building "factory only" rifles has been with 1-8" twists. 8.5s will also stabilize the Amax 140, and all the 8.5s I've tested (with factory ammo)shot either the 140 or 120 factory loadings good enough for match use... but I think the 8" may be a safer bet to get what you want.
In re: barrels - I prefer cut-filed barrels and lean towards Krieger for conventional rifling and Bartlein, Obermeyer or Rock Creek for 5R. I certainly have no complaints with the ones I've picked
I'm a "heavy gun" guy (the minority) and personally prefer a LV or M24 contour (1.2" for 4-5", straight taper down to .9 or thereabouts)
My preference on length is 26" on the heavies, 27-28 on the lighter contours.

Truthfully, ANY of the top custom barrel makers you'll find mentioned on here produce fantastic products,so you really can't go wrong with any of them. It's Ford v Chevy. Just find a gunsmith you trust!

Everyone has opinions on contour - so I'll give you mine....lol...if I'm trying to build a really light match rifle, I might go down to a heavy or even medium Palma or even a Rem Varmint contour.

I hope this helps, and enjoy the creative process.

I went 24", Bartlein Tubb contour, 1:8 5R. First trip out it shot the factory 140gr load to about 1/2 MOA.

I couldn't be happier with my GAP 6.5 CM. Rob is super helpful and is an excellent resource.

Good luck!

Not much wrong with 6.5cm
Many consider it 260 done right
good choice

6.5 Creedmoor is a great round. Have Mark from S.A.C. chamber it for you. He does amazing work.

I used Bartlein 25" 1:8.5. My rifle eats Hornady 140 AMax & 139 Lapua Scenars.

Guys,

Thank you so much for the input.
My biggest concern was getting the barrel right, so it is nice to see so many people leading me in the same direction.

Thanks again.

I was in the same place you are earlier this year. Luckily I received some very good advise in getting my 6.5CM put together. The wait for getting the barrel fitted seemed like forever. The turn out was well worth wait. I started out the a new R700 SS / SPS in 308. Selling off the new parts to offset the cost. Here is a run down. The action was not modified.

Krieger SS 6.5mm w 1-8.5 twist with a finished length of 28"
Little Bastard muzzle brake.
McRee stock I'm left handed so the factory won't work for me.
Nightforce 20 MOA scope base.
TSP 30mm scope rings
Vortex PST SFP in 6.5-24/50mm scope

It is my 1st custom rifle and with some advice from forum members. I ended up great gun that is easy to shoot 1/2moa groups.

Thanks to all you guys who provided input.

I was pretty set on a custom build based on a Bighorn, but decided to buy an AI AE in 6.5 from Mile High. Went with the 26" barrel (1 in 8 twist).

Sending out my down payment tomorrow!

Rifle should be here in a few months.

Good choice on length and twist. You will like the cartridge.

I've got everything I need to spin up a Creedmoor tube for my primary rifle. Just need a free weekend to get the work done.

I'm really looking forward to trying this round.