• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

school me on the big 3 diesel trucks......

396chevy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2010
USa
Ok I'm looking to get a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel crewcab 4x4 auto truck. My first vehicle was an 89 k1500 reg cab 4x4 with a 396, Anyway since then all I have driven are cars and I have come to the conclusion that I really miss my truck and the smell of diesel. {I grew up on a farm} So here are my requirements= diesel, crewcab truck, Auto, 4x4. I know this sound strange but I don't tow much. I have only heard good things about the duramax/allison combo and I know the same about the 5.9 cummins but I don't know crap about the ford engines/transmissions or the late model dodge transmission and the 6.7 cummins. I plan on doing a bit of modding nothing heavy just a few bolt ons fuel, turbo, exhaust, ECM but not an engine rebuild. And I would like to avoid a tranny build/swap-out but I'm guessing I'm screwed there. I'm looking for 450-500 hp and 800-1000 ft-lbs roughly I have an 2yr in gas auto tech but I don't know much about diesels other than they are pretty easy to get good power out of. So what would you guys recommend? What engine/tranny combo can take the most with out blowing? I'm not picky about brands. So ok school me!!!! Oh and I have about 30-35K to get a good used stock truck. Thanks Pat

Re: school me on the big 3 diesel trucks......

I've had one Dodge with a Cummins, and 2 fords-1 extended cab dually and one crew cab 4x4 with the larger of the Power Stroke Diesels.

I had a Bank's computer,downpipe and transcontroller. I drug my Sprint Car trailer 500 miles a week and never had an issue. You can get big power out of diesels via electronics and bolt-ons.But the levels you are talking about-you don't get something for nothing. I think diesels from all three are supported by the aftermarket. Banks and Bullydog made a lot of good stuff.

I was more concerned about the $40,000 aluminum 410 making 850hp,turning 8300rpms bolted into that Sprint Car from tossing its cookies and ruining my night. That diesel had to drag the whole dog and pony show home.

Try asking here http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/

I'm alot more knowledgeable about the 90's Chevy diesels but from what I've read avoid the newer Ford 6.0 diesels lots of problems.

Don't think you'll have any problems getting what you want with the D-max or Cummins. Of the 2 I believe the D-max has the better trans.

How about this:

GM allowed its unions to bully them into a bad bargain and had inept management. They took money from the Gov. to "save them".

Chrysler allowed its unions to bully them into a bad bargain and then laid it all at the feet of the government. They had the Gov bail out the union pension fund.

Ford has not take a dime of Gov money.

Gov money = our money.

Simple choice.

Good luck

Just a few years ago Ford was circling the drain untill they reorganized, thats what saved them.

The Fords are good, just got to know what to stay away from. The 04 to 06 6.0L Powerstrokes have issues you don't want anything to do with. The 7.3 is solid and very reliable. But for the power your looking for I'd go with the dodge, I don't like the chassis but the cummins rocks. Set up a 5.9 with some twins and your on your way. I don't care for the chevy, can't tell you why... just don't like it. ~wingnut13

If you get more power, you seriously need to consider getting bigger brakes. my 01 Duramax with the banks computer and 4" exahusts is way more than those stock brake were ment to take. Only problem I've had is it shits factory fuel filters like no tomorrow. Got aftermarket and problem when away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you get more power, you seriously need to consider getting bigger brakes. my 01 Duramax with the banks computer and 4" exahusts is way more than those stock brake were ment to take. Only problem I've had is it shits factory fuel filters like no tomorrow. Got aftermarket and problem when away. </div></div>
If I remember correctly, the Dodge 3/4 ton trucks stop 10 feet further than the SRT-10 Ram from 60-0. Every Dodge I've owned/driven always has had good brakes. As far as your fuel filter problem, look into getting a FASS.

The fuel fillters/water seperators go figuer are mild steel on the inside. What do you expect water and steel to do? Hum?

As for the brakes, Ford and Dodge run circles around the chevy, but thats my only complaint.

Best Diesel Drivetrain?

Duramax/Allison...

End of discussion...

cool.gif

+1 easy to get a tcm only and have it programed to your needs.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ID Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best Diesel Drivetrain?

Duramax/Allison...

End of discussion...

cool.gif
</div></div>

You need to do this research on your own man, asking here will simply net you answers relative to what everybody likes and dislikes and probably a lot of answers form people who don't/haven't ever even owned a diesel.

I have been a diesel owner for many moons and can say that all three big names have their problems.

The thinking on the subject is that Ford problems tend to be cheaper to fix...

Look here for facts/info http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wingnut13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Fords are good, just got to know what to stay away from. The 04 to 06 6.0L Powerstrokes have issues you don't want anything to do with. </div></div>

$40 to block off the EGR and the 6.0 problem is gonzo...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wingnut13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Fords are good, just got to know what to stay away from. The 04 to 06 6.0L Powerstrokes have issues you don't want anything to do with. </div></div>

$40 to block off the EGR and the 6.0 problem is gonzo... </div></div>
+1 on blocking the EGR off. Nothing wrong with the 6.0 Fords, although the 04 models got a bad wrap for being on the leading edge of cleaning the diesel up. Ford and International were trying to run before they could walk. Word is from field tests is that the new 6.7 Ford is a brute. It will be interesting to see how the other two meet the new requirements. I have heard that the GM is using engines built last year because the new Duramax won't meet emissions without major headaches. At least thats what the neighbors tells me. His 04 has been in the shop for weeks waiting for new heads, and the dealer is having a hardtime getting parts because all of the left overs were used up building motors for the 2010 models.

Huge cost in the exhaust scrubbers (particulate filters) They really screw your mileage all to shit. To make them function (clean cycle) they have to dump fuel into the exhaust to burn off the particles (carbon) off of the filter (like a huge cat converter). Big thing now is Kalifornia has the new diesel smog check and any visual smoke on a accelerator pedal depression that lingers in the air (very subjective). Pilot injection helps a lot with smoke and also idle noise. Almost all problems can be solved with software. It just depends on how much power you want

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ID Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best Diesel Drivetrain?

Duramax/Allison...

End of discussion...

cool.gif
</div></div>

So I take it you don't want to talk about the cracking piezo injectors in the Duramax
wink.gif

The bottom line is there are pro's and cons to each vehicle. Especially when you add in finding a clean used vehicle as you just multiplied the generations available which includes all the fixes for real or perceived weakness. So much will depend on your intended use and the modifications you want to perform.

Diesel Power Magazine has an online library that has plenty of tech articles detailing many of the weaknesses of the different designs and generations.

I OWN A FORD F350 6.0 L DIESEL. I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT. THE EGR VALVE DID FOUL, THATS A SIMPLE FIX. IT HAS 125K MILES ON IT, I CHANGE THE AMSOIL ONCE A YR. IT IS VERY POWERFUL, YET AVG'S 20-23 MPH ON HWY.

I HAD 2 DODGE'S WITH THE CUMMINS, NICE TRUCKS BUT WEAK TRANS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Punisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I OWN A FORD F350 6.0 L DIESEL. I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT. THE EGR VALVE DID FOUL, THATS A SIMPLE FIX. IT HAS 125K MILES ON IT, I CHANGE THE AMSOIL ONCE A YR. IT IS VERY POWERFUL, YET AVG'S 20-23 MPH ON HWY.

I HAD 2 DODGE'S WITH THE CUMMINS, NICE TRUCKS BUT WEAK TRANS. </div></div>

Punisher, are you changing filters during that year with the Amsoil? My brother is talking about swapping his 6.0 over to Amsoil this year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 338Sendero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Punisher, are you changing filters during that year with the Amsoil? My brother is talking about swapping his 6.0 over to Amsoil this year. </div></div>

I run Rotella 5w-40 full syn on my 6.0 and do the swap every 5k mi. with oil analysis. I don't like the 1 yr oil change because you might be missing important issues going on in your diesel. Send some off to Blackstone labs for a look at whats going on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ford has not take a dime of Gov money.</div></div>

Only because they arranged massive loans just before everything went south.

IMO the Cummins is the best of the three, but I've heard it said, "You buy the engine, you get the truck for free."

Too bad you can't get a F350 with a Cummins.

I have towed a bit with fords and dodges.

A stock 1997 SRW F350, loaded or unloaded feels like flying in an airplane. Fast is not meant to be in it's bag of tricks, and Interantional will tell you that.

I also have spent some time with an 07 Dodge 3500 with the 6.7 cummins. It put you back in the seat with a 36 footer loaded with 300 square bales. Also pulled a 20 foot bumper pull with a hot water pressure washer, and 300 gallons of water, and shifted UP to OD from 2000 RPM going UPhill. Yes, loads of power. That may be a moot point as you have no need to tow.

Never driven a duramax, but I haer they win the horsepower contest. If you want a diesel for fun, that is probably the one. I just have a bad taste in my mouth from a 6.5 diesel suburban a buddy of mine had that was a flat out POS.

I know several folks with Ford Superduty diesel rigs who've had hell with transmissions. And I can tell you that our Dodge Chargers and pickups at the PD are costing us a maintanance fortune, and Dodge seems VERY committed to customer dissatisfaction.

I have spent a lot of time working on and modifying diesel trucks. I started a diesel performance business with a good friend that ended up being too successful... It was a "2nd job" that started taking over my life, so I ended up handing over my share to my partner who is still running it and went back to working my day job only. We owned a Dynojet dyno so over the years I have seen literally hundreds and hundreds of diesels with all different combinations of parts strapped down and run wide open. I've personally had 97, 01, 02 and 06 Dodge Cummins trucks, and an 02 Ford 7.3.

I love the Cummins, but based on what I've seen, and taking into account what you are looking for, I would suggest a Duramax. It is probably the best total package.

The older dodges don't have a true crew cab and the newer mega cab trucks mean you are getting a common rail Cummins, and IMO the injectors on them suck. Lots more problems then the Duramax injectors. The ford 6.0 overall is the worst of the bunch.

I got out of it about the time the 6.4's were coming out. They were doing pretty good from what i was seeing, but hadn't been around long enough to see how they were going to hold up.

All that is assuming you are getting a used truck. If you are buying new, go with Ford. At least they didn't take your tax dollars, and if there are issues they seem better then GM and Chrysler at fixing them under warranty without a fight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cmnspwr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have a look at Competition Diesel. There is a lot to learn, you are forwarned. </div></div>

Very good site. The sniper's hide of diesel trucks...

I am in the process of lemon lawing a 2010 ford super duty diesel if you want PM me and i will tell you why not to buy a ford, funny thing is i owned 2 dodge cummins before this but the old lady wanted this big ford 4 door for the grandkids, when all is said and done and i have my money back i am running yes running to the nearest dodge lot to buy a 2010 so i don't have to have the urea system on it that all 2011 must have!!!

I have owned nothing but Ford for 20 years I have had about 18 diesel trucks. I have an 08 duramax and I love it.
The only reason I am in a GM is because fords 08 and 09 suck I had two engines in less than 36000 miles
I WOULD STAY AWAY FROM NEW FORDS I KNOW TO MANY PEOPLE THAT HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH 08 AND 09 FORDS.

7.62willdo,

I wish you luck with the Dodge too. I have seen a lot of problems with the common rail Cummins, almost all related to the injectors (and I am a die hard Cummins fan). It seems all the newer diesels are less reliable then the older ones. The things they have to do to make the EPA happy cause issues for them all.

The 12v Cummins is the best diesel ever put in a pickup truck, and it's been downhill ever since.

I have a 2005 Ram 3500 that I bought brand new. It has the Cummins (325/610), a 6 speed, 4wd, a leveling kit, 35" tires, is a Laramie, etc.

Want my advice?

Get the Ford! The Dodge is cheap inside compared to the Ford. The Cummins pulls like a freight train but the V8s are quicker empty.

And whatever you do, just forget that automatic transmissions are even offered. Diesel and automatic is a very bad combination.

Get the FORD if for no other reason they haven't had to be BAILED OUT. I Love My Ford it's a 04 F250 SD Crew cab. I used to be a Dodge fan till I got inside the Ford. It's much roomier on the inside, and so far no problems. My uncle has a 98-99 Ford that had 400,000miles on it six years ago and he's still using it as his work truck. He does take good care of it, but I'd bet it's got well over half a million miles on it by now, and the only thing he ever had to change out was the tranny at about 350,000.

Yeah, buy the Ford. While you're cussing about all of the problems with the truck awn the lack of warranty backup, you can hold your head up with pride that you bought a truck that wasn't bailed out..............

Serious question... Has anyone had good experiences with any of the big 3 when there was a warranty issue? They are all a PIA, but my experience has been much better with ford then the other two. Chrysler is awful about warranty issues.

The couple of things I had fixed on my Dodge wasn't an issue, but it could be more because of the shop. I love the cummins, but I will not buy a bail out truck next time. With what the government is doing with the regualation of Diesel pickups I am not sure I will own another Diesel. I just will probably keep the one I have for a long time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> "Too bad you can't get a F350 with a Cummins." </div></div>

I was recently told that you CAN get a <span style="font-weight: bold">Ford 450</span> with a Cummins, and the 6 speed Allison, too.

Now THAT would be hard to beat.

There are kits available to transplant a Cummins into a Ford, and the Allison as well. But unless something has changed recently, you can't get a Cummins in anything smaller then an F650. No cummins available in the F250 - F550.

An Allison would suck ass behind a Cummins anyway. If you're going to transplant something, make it a manual with at least 7 gears. More would be even better.

I have owned 2 Ford 7.3 turbo's. the best trucks I have ever had. Not any problems with either one other than regular parts that wear out(brakes, water pump and the like). I now have over 140 thousand on my 97 4x4 crew cab. I think you can pull the hinges off of hell with this combo. I will buy Fords again if this one ever wears out!

I drive a 96 Dodge Cummins. It has 210,000 miles on it and going strong. Co-worker had a 95 Dodge Cummins and put an aftermarket trans in it. "I" told him to get the cryoed input shaft and he did not. 3 years later the shaft went.

He sold the truck for $2500 last month. I should have bought it.

He now owns a Duramax. Loves it. Has not pulled his trailer with it yet.

A friend owns a business and bought a few 07-08 Ford trucks. He hates the fuel milage the trucks are getting. Some are getting 10 MPG. I told him to get Dodges with the Cummins. He says he should have listened to me.

I am in the market for a used truck. It will be a 2002 or newer Dodge. I love the cummins.

I don`t get it. My 17 yr old son drives the Dodge and gets 17 to 20 mpg, I get 16 mpg day or night.

Hello all, I greatly appreciate the imput. I have recently joined CompetitionDiesel.com and have been keeping busy reading. I have heard about the duramax injector problems but Im pretty sure Ill be swaping out injectors so that shouldnt be a problem. I was worried about the dodge trans. But then it looks like I can get a very well built trans for 5-7K And it looks like no stock transmission will hold up for long with the power im looking to make. And im curious what kind of MPG can I get out of a modded say 500HP and 1000FT-LBS? 10-12? Also What years should I avoid? I have heard the late model ones get horrible mileage, but what is late model? 2008-2010? Thanks Again

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 396chevy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello all, I greatly appreciate the imput. I have recently joined CompetitionDiesel.com and have been keeping busy reading. I have heard about the duramax injector problems but Im pretty sure Ill be swaping out injectors so that shouldnt be a problem. I was worried about the dodge trans. But then it looks like I can get a very well built trans for 5-7K And it looks like no stock transmission will hold up for long with the power im looking to make. And im curious what kind of MPG can I get out of a modded say 500HP and 1000FT-LBS? 10-12? Also What years should I avoid? I have heard the late model ones get horrible mileage, but what is late model? 2008-2010? Thanks Again </div></div>

396chevy, please trust me on this.
If you want to make big power and get great MPG, call Jonathan Goodwin... he switches them over to a vaporized fuel source, and they tell customers to expect the following.

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*] triple power[*]double MPG[*]cut emissions to 1/3rd.[/list]

Call him, you will thank me for telling you about him..

all this talk of interior blah blah blah....i didn't buy my DIESEL truck to look cute in or show off to my buddies or for the comfortable ride....i bought it to WORK....and if you want to work, cummins is the way to go. also, EGR wasn't the issue on the 6.oh no's it was the damn head. usually you can put new studs in and it fixes most the problems but usually not. head gaskets were garbage. the last about 2 years of the 6.0 were decent. but like typical ford they get something going right and then change motors. the 7.3 was the best motor they had. their 6.4 is no good. hell you have to take the cab off to get to the rear injectors... however i am curious about their new 6.7...time will tell..the duramaxes had some injector issues early but they have since proven to be a reliable motor. ive just never cared for aluminum heads and v-8 configs in a diesel.....if v-8 was so good, don't you think big rigs would have v-8's? JMO YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GlockandRoll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd go w/the Duramax, and send it to Jonathan Goodwin of H-Line Conversions to convert to a vaporized fuel source. He's THE leader in diesel power, and makes several arguments as to why the Duramax is king.

http://www.hlineconversions.com/

Interview in his shop, part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBhOCRulJgU

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fTx5gwSCAA

</div></div>

Glocknroll: I'm a Duramax guy. Mine is an LBZ (07 Classic). I looked at hline's site and did not find anything about a vaporized fuel source. More info please?

For the OP: I've had both Dodges w/ Cummins TDs and GMCs w/Duramaxes. The Cummins is a great motor, but I found that it did not justify the Dodge wrapped around it. I jumped ship to GMCs and the D-maxes and never looked back. They have tons of power are quick and comfortable. I would not touch a ford unless it had a 7.3 in it. They've had tons of trouble with their last two iterations of the Powerstroke and they ride like a bucking bronco. I am excited to see how their newly introduced all in-house diesel turns out. They've packed some really interesting tech into it.

Simple enough, should be verifiable by independent third parties. I seem to remember a Mythbusters episode about "vortex" carbs or something.

Lulz for secrets the oil companies don't want you to know.

It's not skepticism it's complete disbelief. Let me know when Consumer Reports verifies 300% HP and 200% MPG. Dynamometers and tracks are not that hard to come by.

CNN = Not reliable, scientific or even vaguely credible.

You didn't watch the videos of his interviews, did you?
Dont bother replying if not... I don't care what your response is.

I have had 4 Cummins Rams, and never had one of them go into the shop for any engine or transmission work. I pull a trailer cross country about 20K miles a year running around 14,000 pounds. For what you are going to do, anything will work. For those running a business that require reliability and bulletproof dependability, Dodge is what you want. I like the interior of the Ford, but I have to reach my destination, not look good getting there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: motochamp250</div><div class="ubbcode-body">all this talk of interior blah blah blah....i didn't buy my DIESEL truck to look cute in or show off to my buddies or for the comfortable ride....i bought it to WORK....and if you want to work, cummins is the way to go. also, EGR wasn't the issue on the 6.oh no's it was the damn head. usually you can put new studs in and it fixes most the problems but usually not. head gaskets were garbage. the last about 2 years of the 6.0 were decent. but like typical ford they get something going right and then change motors. the 7.3 was the best motor they had. their 6.4 is no good. hell you have to take the cab off to get to the rear injectors... however i am curious about their new 6.7...time will tell..the duramaxes had some injector issues early but they have since proven to be a reliable motor. ive just never cared for aluminum heads and v-8 configs in a diesel.....if v-8 was so good, don't you think big rigs would have v-8's? JMO YMMV </div></div>

This doesn't hold water.The Detroit Diesel 6v 8v and 12v motors were the gold standard for 50 years.Ask any commercial waterman they will surely have intimate knowledge of the DD.They sold more of these then Catepiller could of had a wet dream about.

For some interiors do play a pretty big part when you pull a 10k lb boat up and down the coast comfort matters.The cummins is a great motor but it has a very narrow torque range(Normal for inline 6cyl)but the rest of the truck is lacking refinement.The older 47re transmissions were a disaster the 48res are better but still one gear behind.

The Duramax's have the bugs pretty worked out but with the ongoing assault on diesel emissions that may not last.The chevy torsion bar front end rides nice but is not as robust as others.The Allison transmission is the king of the hill nothing else is even close.

The Fords... well they havn't had it right since the 7.3. The 6.0 is a problem and the trans is a cheap pirated copy of the alison. They do have a very robust suspension the interiors are nice and overall it is a good chasis.