• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

School me on tuning metal AICS mags

LJT88

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 16, 2019
    Got a brand new whiskey 3 for my tikka today and after getting the barreled action mounted up I loaded a couple mags just to test the feeding and cycling.

It’s pretty notchy and not terribly smooth. There is also a fair amount of slop with the mag in the mag well. When the mag tips forward the rounds nose directly into the action and won’t chamber.

Hopefully you guys have some tips for tuning these mags. My tac a1 chassis i sold for this and X-ray chassis using Magpul aics mags feed so smooth you can barely feel the round chambering.

Reactions: jonnybrowning
    I appreciate it. Thank you!

Also, there is quite a bit of slop in the mag /mag well fitment. A lot of rocking back and forth.

I only have one gun that accepts AICS mags. The only thing I can say about that is “thank god it accepts Magpul pmags as well.”

I don’t get the love affair with aics mags. You’ve described my experience with them to a T. They don’t feed particularly smooth, the follower is a joke, and if you do get the feed lip geometry right they’ll barf rounds into the action if you insert them too forcefully into the mag well.

The most common malfunction I’ve seen at PRS matches can be summed up as “was running aics mags.”

I hope you didn’t pay full AI prices for them. Put them in the trash where they belong.

Last edited:
    If you haven't done so already, adjust the W3 chassis forend (adjusted fore/aft) and trigger guard (need to remove action and loosen screw) a little bit to take care some of that slop.

If you got the funds, consider getting the Adjustable mag catch trigger guard (if the chassis doesn't have one already, which adjusts vertical positioning).

Then work on the feed lips (width for bolt lug clearance and bullet tip presentation angle) as necessary.

Last edited:
    Reactions: DIBBS and LJT88
    Buy LRI bottom metal.

Only about 300 rounds but AI mags have been no trouble only ever using surplus USMC AI mags that were probably beat........

IMG_0648.JPG

I do know that that the guy in that adjusting video got the bandaged finger from loading the Mfers. They do take some pressure to stuff with .308 and I'm guessing that is when feed lips get mangled.

Last edited:
    I only have one gun that accepts AICS mags. The only thing I can say about that is “thank god it accepts Magpul pmags as well.”

I don’t get the love affair with aics mags. You’ve described my experience with them to a T. They don’t feed particularly smooth, the follower is a joke, and if you do get the feed lip geometry right they’ll barf rounds into the action if you insert them too forcefully into the mag well.

The most common malfunction I’ve seen at PRS matches can be summed up as “was running aics mags.”

I hope you didn’t pay full AI prices for them. Put them in the trash where they belong.
    Please send me your crappy AICS magazines, I'll put them to good use.

SJC