• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing School me on Wyoming Preference Points

ccasanova

Private
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2010
Southeast LA
I’m starting to plan for some hunting out West. I know nothing of the preference points system, but have read the website twice. Should I just start buying points for elk, mule deer, antelope, bear and start putting in every year for the draw and cross my fingers? Can you buy 1pt max per species per year? I’ll be using an outfitter, likely Savory Creek, as I went to school with the owners wife. I’ll check with them for advice as well. My son is 8 and I’d like to take him when he turns 13. I think it says I can’t purchase points for him until he turns 11, but not positive. His birthday is Sept 14 and plan on an elk hunt for him.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks

after you don't draw, make sure you go back and buy the preference point. took me 3 yrs to figure that out...

DT

There are words of wisdom in that approach.

Gives you 2x points every year by doing that.

So if you put in and don’t get drawn you can buy 2 points?

or buy point(s) and put in, then go back and buy more point(s) if you don’t get drawn?

If you don’t get a draw for that season you are awarded a point. You may also buy a point.

That yields 2 points towards the next season

Make sense?

Reactions: ccasanova
Added note.

Check the zone and species that you intend to hunt. Compare that against results from prior years drawings to estimate how many points you need for a 100% draw rate.

It may help you in planning. Then again you could always get lucky and get a draw sooner.

Buy the crap out of the youth pref points. Both of my boys have 5 points for elk and mule deer and they arent interested in hunting yet. Youth pref points are only $10 each...

Buy the crap out of the youth pref points. Both of my boys have 5 points for elk and mule deer and they arent interested in hunting yet. Youth pref points are only $10 each...

So you can buy them when they’re young?

How many points is needed in good areas? 5? 10? 15?

Gotta get them their sportsman ID numbers and buy away. i don’t know if there is a minimum age for points now.

for elk in a good area, I’d say 10 points

Non residents only get one point per year. You'll be chasing the best deer and elk areas for quite a few years unless you draw a random tag. You'll have a better shot at a decent antelope tag, but it will still take some time and who knows where point creep point will be in 5 or 6 years. Spend some time looking at the G&F's non resident draw odds with preference points. The most popular area's are usually the hardest to draw...

Guess I should’ve started years ago. Maybe we’ll have enough points by the time he graduates high school in 10 years.

Seems like a worthy investment though. Gotta start somewhere.

for elk in a good area, I’d say 10 points

That should get an elk tag in any zone.

If you don’t mind getting a cow tag you can usually get them with 0-1 points. When I got my cow tag I had zero points and the zone had a 100% draw rate. A bull tag for that zone took 8-10 points if I remember correctly.

Are there any otc tags for deer or elk these days?

I know the zone I hunted had otc deer doe tags for 35.00.

I do believe they have otc tags available for the general season but they are in zones you most likely would not want to hunt.

Send me a pm with your number and I’ll give you a call on the points system. This is the main state we hunt.

Adam

Apply for hard to draw areas with your first choice and do an antlerless(easier draw) for second choice....go hunting this year. Learn the area and where the bulls like to be. If you don't draw your antlerless tag apply for a leftover antlerless tag.
I've drawn at least one antlerless tag 4 years straight and have lost no points. Taken elk 3 out of 4 years.

My first cow was a 4 point cow. Why in the hell they use points toward a antlerless tag is stupid......no, I was stupid. DONT DO THAT!

Since you mentioned going with a guide you might check private land only tags for the units the guide has access.

I’ll be following this thread. I want to apply for Antelope this year (non resident). Hoping to spend an afternoon on the site to figure it out soon... it’s just so many darn areas to sort through.

So if I were to apply for a bill tag in an area that I was for sure not to draw I would get a pp when I didn’t draw that tag and then purchase a second pp as a non resident? If I were to put in for a doe as 2nd choice and draw that tag would you still get the point for not drawing first choice?

So if I were to apply for a bill tag in an area that I was for sure not to draw I would get a pp when I didn’t draw that tag and then purchase a second pp as a non resident? If I were to put in for a doe as 2nd choice and draw that tag would you still get the point for not drawing first choice?

you can only get one point per year.