• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Schools won't let kids be kids

WxWatcher

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2012
Norman, OK
So I'm sure a lot of you saw earlier in the week the child suspended from school for a Hello Kitty bubble gun. Now there's a school in Boston who threatened to suspend a 5 year old boy for making a toy gun out of Legos. (link at end of my post). Some of us could use Legos and make something that somewhat resembles a gun, such that someone would know what we made without being told. But a 5 year old makes something in the general shape of the letter "L" out of a handful of blocks, and that makes for an "uncomfortable environment" for others?

It's just sad that schools are so caught up in being PC, they lose sight of what it's like to be an innocent kid with an imagination. This makes me particularly sad, as I have a son who is a little over 5 months old, and can't help but wonder what kind of idiotic or hypocritical environment he'll be subjected to while away at school.

I'm sure many Hide members grew up, playing "cops and robbers", shooting stick or plastic guns at each other. And doing so may have led some to have the desire to serve the community and become, and now are, fine officers of the law. Politics are for adults, and kids shouldn't be expected to conform to the same PC standard for things going on in society beyond they're (complete) comprehension.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/01/29/hy...n-out-of-legos/

Re: Schools won't let kids be kids

It's not about being pc, it's about their agenda to make guns "bad and scary"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not about being pc, it's about their agenda to make guns "bad and scary" </div></div>

^this^

Sue the school for hindering a child's artistic development.. We can play the same games as them so we might as well start attacking back. By complaining and not actually doing something that makes a statement and impacts them one way or another (bad press, financially, etc) we will get nowhere.

SHOOTING STICK OR PLASTIC GUNS MY TELL. We used to shoot BB guns at each other and fireworks to. We couldn't or hadn't found out about paintball gun or we'd been shooting them at either other two. We went as far as putting rockets down pvp pipes for RPG's during a firework war. Now not to say someone didn't get hurt or burnt by the fireworks but no MEDICS was needed. How did we get to be older than 16 I'll never now and that is before we got to drive and that is a whole nother story.

i was cleaning one of my suppressors the other day and some guns. my 3yo boy comes out and says, "daddy, whatcha doing?" i told him i was cleaning my guns so mommy and i can go shooting.

"i wanna go shooting too!" he says.

my wife gets a big ol' shit eating grin.

i asked her what she was going to do when they throw him out of preschool for saying he wants to shoot guns with mommy and daddy.

she didn't answer me.

but it is articles like that, that get me one step closer to having him home schooled. my wife her bachelors in K-6 teaching but doesn't have a teaching job yet so she can stay home with the boy as much as possible.

I wish they'd worry more about teaching our kids to read and write.

This is unreal my grand son is 8 and at lunch he was talking about shooting with his grand pa and what kind of guns we used .And how i taught him all about them. well he ended up in Principles office beacuse it was In approriate to talk about things that in school. WTH?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not about being pc, it's about their agenda to make guns "bad and scary" </div></div>

This.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emilio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish they'd worry more about teaching our kids to read and write. </div></div>

And this.

It really is a shame. If my own elementary school was like it is today, it makes me wonder how many times I would've been suspended.

They're already asking kids if their parents have guns in the house. An innocent child shouldn't be subjected to questioning about such things!

I completely agree with the overall sentiment that's being expressed in this thread. The schools have lost their sense of reality, and are pushing hard on an anti-gun agenda, even in reasonably gun friendly parts of the country.

This IS a problem. An entire generation of children are being raised to believe guns are evil, and should be avoided at all costs. Sure, folks like us will raise our kids differently, but we sure don't gain political ground when the millions of other children in these schools (the ones who don't have exposure to guns at home) grow up to think that guns are the root of evil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bushwacker36</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They're already asking kids if their parents have guns in the house. An innocent child shouldn't be subjected to questioning about such things! </div></div>

This is true. I was once dispatched to a call at work where a teacher wanted me to do a welfare check on a child... apparently the child had reported that dad owned a gun.

I called the teacher after being dispatched, and asked her what she was concerned about. She responded that: "my student told me that his dad has a gun in the house". I responded with: "and?"

She went on to talk about how she was worried about his well-being. I asked her if she had any reason to believe that the father was a criminal, or was planning to do something violent with the guns. She said that she just doesn't think it's safe for a kid to be in a house with a gun. I explained the 2nd Amendment to her, and told her that I would not be checking on the child's welfare on the basis of what she told me.

She then called my sergeant and gave him an earful. Fortunately, he's an avid hunter, and again explained the 2nd Amendment to her, as gracefully as possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7.62DAV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BANNED...
It is for the children

</div></div>

Ah yes the children's 1911s and first gen Glocks.

I applaud your " non action ". My twin girls are 6 , in the 1st grade. They have been asked about it. Nothing else was ever said . They didn't tell me what was said the way an adult would tell you, si it was very confusing for myself.

How times have changed. I went out of my way to suggest that, when my daughters were in high school, they tell prospective boy friends that their crazy dad liked to sit in trees with a gun waiting to kill something.

Hell, in 1997. While I was in HS and on "break" during shop class... A few fellow classmates and myself would head out behind the school and take turns hand throwing clay targets for each other and making them puff with the 12ga I always carried in my truck... Try that shit now!!

Do you think (now don't flame me here, please) that perhaps part of the indoctrination is already in place?
Why do we automatically think about how bad it will be in school, or pre-school etc? I am talking about why do we automatically think they HAVE to go to public school?
I met a gent quite a few years ago, who hated the liberal slant and poor quality and anti-gun attitude, (This was 35 years ago), so he bought a package of school material from an approved home school program, (Calvert, I think) gathered 3 other parent pairs, and started their own academy.
What was taught was ONLY what they wanted taught, in the way of philosophical slant.
Many kids in the south attend private academies, and never a day of private school. The academy is strictly accountable for what is taught, and what the general policies are. No unions, and no outside or government dictation. The teachers at an Academy I know of, are payed better, and are way better qualified (the math teachers actually KNOW their subject). History, Civics and Government are still being taught).
In a smaller setting, the cost is defrayed by others who pay a share, so initial and individual cost is more affordable.
Why assume your kids HAVE to endure that garbage, why assume you and your wife are going to have to be down there every week fighting against suspension for ridiculous non-events, why assume you cannot direct your child's socialization, and why would one assume that kids won't get enough exercise, sports, and outdoors play at anyplace other than a public school, and finally, why would anyone send a child into a place that is by policy utterly without protection? Like to gamble? With your child's life?
It is not the same environment as when I or my kids went to school.
We all recognize that, so why send them into meat grinder, they are fed leftist crap, feel good garbage that apparently none of us approve of.
"I gotta work, I'm too busy, we both have to work, I can't afford it..." pretty weak excuses.
Things are getting to the point where we can't afford NOT to do something else.
Remember to a criminal "Gun Free Zone" Really means "Target Rich Environment". To us it should read; "Don't even THINK of leaving my kids here".

It seems to me that the random distribution of idiots is about the same anywhere you go. Teach your children by example and take the time to teach them the things that you feel are important. It surprising, but kids are smart enough to sift out the lies other people tell them.

I will continue to educate all of my children on firearms safety and proper training, the fear of them discussing it and getting in trouble at school is far outweighed by the benefit of understanding firearm safety. Kids love things that are taboo, making guns "bad and scary" is the wrong thing to do and it will backfire, for lack of a better term. I would much rather have my kids educated and well versed in firearms vs not. It is similar to just saying "don't do drugs or have sex" and fail to follow it up with any education to explain the comment, it almost ensures they will pursue it with zero knowledge when given the opportunity.

I'm on the school's side here. The thin brown stock like piece off the back, combined with a barrel of only 8 Lego dots in length makes it an assault Lego gun. It also appears to have holes on the under side of the barrel where he would have been able to mount a grenade launcher or bayonet.

On a side note, it would be fun to show that randomly to 20 people and see if any of them guessed it was a gun.

Totally agree. I'm worried that my nine year old daughter likes to pull the stems off apples and that can be construed to be a hand grenade. Some of her weird clothes look like an urban kids ghille suit. She also has a mini doll head hanging from her backpack. Obviously I have raised a headhunting canibal.