• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope- $1000

Slowstang

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2009
Sacramento, CA
My father is looking to join the tactical shooting game as I just attempt to start. He is looking for a new scope. I have already pre-ordered a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 FFP Mil/Mil but he doesn't really want to wait till June to pick up a scope. He is looking for something in the same price range. I think he is willing to spend up to $1300 on a scope. I would prefer if we kept it Mil/Mil so our setups will be similar. What would you guys recommend?

Thanks for all the input and help.

Re: Scope- $1000

Keep an eye in the classifieds, used Nightforces can be had for that price, hell I picked up a new in box NXS 3.5x15 for less then that in the classifieds. The trick is getting there quick, not thinking and just posting ill take it, I believe there were 3 or 4 behind me in line within 2 mins.

Have him place an order for his own PST now and then let him have your PST when it ships as yours will arrive before his will and then you take his PST when it comes in later...

He's your father...
smile.gif

I know he is my father... BUT..... I'm hoping to get him a good deal on a used nightforce so far but they seem to be a little more than he wants to spend.

How do the IOR 3-18 FFP's stack up against a used nxs 5.5-25?

FFP new or used SFP seems to be the question here really...if FFP is a must then at your budget there is IOR as you mentioned, wait for the PST to ship, or sell a kidney for the F1 or USO from what I know...

If SFP is good then listen to Savage above and scan the classifieds here for used NXS...will show up prior to the PST ship date almost certainly.

Well I appreciate the advice. I'll be browsing the classifieds and talk to my dad, he may rather wait until I get my PST to check it out. On the other hand, he may not like waiting soooooooo long...

Is it JUNE yet? Got a rifle with a tasco mounted on it, that is just sad, a TASCO!

Cool. I'll run it by him. Mike is local so I'll have to give him a call and see if we can come by and check it out. We looked at a Bushnell Elite 6500 today and the glass looked good except the eyebox seemed terrible. At its highest magnification power if you moved your head at all the whole sight picture blurred.. Is this model any better?

Sorry but I would be telling stories here if I tried to answer this...maybe others here can share their experience with this model...was just trying to get you something FFP now instead of later at your budget or less...

I appreciate your help. My view on the scope was in a few minutes at the local gun store. Maybe this wouldn't be an issue when your actually shooting behind the rifle? I was impressed with how clear the glass is though.

If your dad absolutely can't wait for the PST and the Nightforce is too expensive, I'll second the IOR 3.8-18 FFP. from everything i've read and seen the IOR is a great scope that will serve him well. Also, I like the magnification range on it better than the 5.5-25 NXS you mentioned, but that's just personal preference. any way you slice it, it looks like your dad's getting a sweet scope.

Thanks guys for all the advice and help. I'll run it by him tomorrow and see what he thinks. I'll post on what scope he ends up getting and maybe a complete rifle picture when it gets all put together.

Thanks for all the help

I haven't been impressed with IOR reliability and quality. If you want MIL/MIL, that narrows your choices a lot. Your father sounds old school and I suspect he will be fine with MOA turrets which open up your choice a lot. If MOA turrets are ok, then Nikon, Leupold, Weaver, Sightron are all great choices. I'd lean towards Leupold and Nikon as the first choices.