• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope accuracy

Dildobaggins

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2020
    Idk if this is in the right area. Feel free to tell me to move it.

So I built an accuracy driven AR. Loaded Hornady 55 grain soft points from 20.8-24 grains of h335. I had a Nikon prostaff 4-12 power on it. It didn't matter the powder charge. I didn't shoot one group over 1moa. Most were .6 and under. However a 1/4 bullseye is hard to see at 100 yards.

So I went and bought a sightron sii fixed 36 power. Took the old scope out of the rings, and new one in. Loaded some speer 55 gr spitzers and couldn't get it to group under 1 moa. Took some 73 grain elds that I knew shot very well out of the gun with a proven charge and still the same. Not one under 1 MOA most groups were 1.25 to 2 inchs. Just wondering how you would go about diagnosing the issue. Have a wheeler fat wrench coming in with new scope rings today. Trying to avoid a gun smith to month the scope. Thanks everyone.

I would first question fundamentals.
    Then try the Nikon back on there to see if it repeatable.
    Maybe see what your Kraft number is with the Kraft Challenge?

I would first question fundamentals.
    Then try the Nikon back on there to see if it repeatable.
    That's a good thought. Definitely not a world class shooter. But I shot a out 40 groups the first outing and all were under an inch, and now I can repeat it with the scope. I'll mount the Nikon back on and see what happens. Shot about 25 groups today. Should have stopped after the first 5 or so. Something wasent working

those are two VASTLY different scopes and i dont think either is particularly well suited to the task but i'd pick the 4-12 between the two

put the nikon back on and try again

those are two VASTLY different scopes and i dont think either is particularly well suited to the task but i'd pick the 4-12 between the two

put the nikon back on and try again
    May I ask why you would pick the 4-12 when shooting for groups? I got it because I wanted more Magnification for load development.

You changed your optic and the load you shot.

Accuracy wasn't what you expected.

Then you changed the load again.

And again, accuracy wasn't what you expected.

How about trying the 55 Hornadys again with the same load?
    Don't forget to set your parallax properly on the 36x optic
    I'm going to load some 55 Hornady tonight. I had the parallax set at about 115 yards because looked the clearest there. Should I set it dead on 100 yards?

Last edited:
    You changed your optic and the load you shot.

Accuracy wasn't what you expected.

Then you changed the load again.

And again, accuracy wasn't what you expected.

How about trying the 55 Hornadys again with the same load?
    Don't forget to set your parallax properly on the 36x optic
    This.

When troubleshooting, change one variable at a time.

Yeah this is most likely it. I didn’t catch that the second try was with different brand of bullet altogether.

Not sure if anyone caught it but I did shoot 73 grainers out of the gun that I knew shot decent WHEN I had the Nikon on, but I will try same loads as before, and report back

I'm going to load some 55 Hornady tonight. I had the parallax set at about 115 yards because looked the clearest there. Should I set it dead on 100 yards?

Parallax is not used to make the scope clearer.

Setting the parallax properly prevents image shift and makes it where having your head/eye in the same exact spot isn't as critical.

Read up on setting parallax properly.

Having it set incorrectly can actually cause inaccuracy.

Reactions: Dildobaggins
    The way I adjust my parallax...
    Focus in the target with your parallax, now move your head slightly left to right and up down while turning the paralax adjustment each direction until the reticle does not shift from your point of aim. That is your proper adjustment.
    Hopefully I'm describing it correctly.
    When the parallax adjustment is not correct, the reticle will shift back and forth away from your point of aim with the movements of your head.
    Of course you need to make sure your dipoter is set correctly first. Once that is properly set, you won't need to adjust it again.

The way I adjust my parallax...
    Focus in the target with your parallax, now move your head slightly left to right and up down while turning the paralax adjustment each direction until the reticle does not shift from your point of aim. That is your proper adjustment.
    Hopefully I'm describing it correctly.
    When the parallax adjustment is not correct, the reticle will shift back and forth away from your point of aim with the movements of your head.
    Of course you need to make sure your dipoter is set correctly first. Once that is properly set, you won't need to adjust it again.
    You are correct and I am stupid. Haha. I did notice some shift on the reticle. I adjusted this so Thier wasn't as much, but I think I was so focused on being pissed that my groups sucked to trouble shoot it correctly. Going to mount the Nikon and sightron. Get my parallax adjusted and go from there

Parallax is not used to make the scope clearer.

Setting the parallax properly prevents image shift and makes it where having your head/eye in the same exact spot isn't as critical.

Read up on setting parallax properly.

Having it set incorrectly can actually cause inaccuracy.
    That would explain the shitty groupings. Perhaps that was the problem. I'll report back hopefully Monday with all of this resolved

Reactions: savagemann
    Can you settle the crosshairs on the 36x and stay settled through the whole shot ? More magnification does not always mean you will be more accurate , at times it can magnify the flaws . 12x to 36x is a huge jump . If your trigger is heavy you will see that in the reticle . There is no way a 12x Nikon will out shoot your Sightron 36x with a properly set up rifle and rest . Give it some time , once you figure it out you will be styling .

A sightron 36x not well suited to shoot groups ? I have to ask , what do you think a 36x fixed power scope is designed to do ?
    I come here to ask question, and try my best not to be a dick, but I had the same thought when I read that. Haha

Reactions: IZX
    Can you settle the crosshairs on the 36x and stay settled through the whole shot ? More magnification does not always mean you will be more accurate , at times it can magnify the flaws . 12x to 36x is a huge jump . If your trigger is heavy you will see that in the reticle . There is no way a 12x Nikon will out shoot your Sightron 36x with a properly set up rifle and rest . Give it some time , once you figure it out you will be styling .
    Thanks man! I definitely did notice. I have a bipod and a cheap rear bag. The trigger is a CMC 2.5 lbs. Never tested the pull weight. The rifle is about 10 pounds scoped and even at 2.5 pounds of pull I had to really squeeze the bag to keep it stable. I just built a 6mm creed bolt with a trigger tech special and the trigger is so light and crisp. Might look into one for the ar. Or something similar

Reactions: IZX
    Thanks man! I definitely did notice. I have a bipod and a cheap rear bag. The trigger is a CMC 2.5 lbs. Never tested the pull weight. The rifle is about 10 pounds scoped and even at 2.5 pounds of pull I had to really squeeze the bag to keep it stable. I just built a 6mm creed bolt with a trigger tech special and the trigger is so light and crisp. Might look into one for the ar. Or something similar
    Trigger can make a huge difference ,especially with a 36x target scope with fine hairs and target dot . With practice and tweaking your rifle I am sure you will come to really like that Sightron . I have won 100-200 competitions with mine , against scopes that cost 6-8 times more . You have a fine entry level benchrest scope , good luck with your journey .

A sightron 36x not well suited to shoot groups ? I have to ask , what do you think a 36x fixed power scope is designed to do ?
    fixed 36, on an AR, shooting 55gr soft points. that was my point

yes i know what the scope is meant for. just saying for this application it might be hurting more than it's helping

Reactions: Nik H
    Trigger can make a huge difference ,especially with a 36x target scope with fine hairs and target dot . With practice and tweaking your rifle I am sure you will come to really like that Sightron . I have won 100-200 competitions with mine , against scopes that cost 6-8 times more . You have a fine entry level benchrest scope , good luck with your journey .
    Any suggestions on a lite trigger? All that I can seem to find is the trigger tech diamond and a timney Calvin elite.