• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope adjustment for a 20 MOA base

BruceR

Private
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2011
NE Illinois
I currently own a Leupold scope that has 71 MOA of vertical adjustment (advertised). Is this enough adjustment for a 20 MOA base if I zero at 100 yards? My rifle is a 308 with a MV of 2500 fps using Federal 168g Gold medal match ammunition.

Re: Scope adjustment for a 20 MOA base

Is your question: "Can I zero at 100 yards if I use a 20 MOA base with a scope that only has 71 MOA of elevation travel?"

If so:

71 MOA divided by 2 = 35.5 MOA down elevation.

35.5 MOA minus 20 MOA leaves you 15.5 MOA from the bottom stop when the barrel axis and optical axis are parallel.

Right?

Enough for What?

To shoot at 1k you will need approximately 40-42 minutes of adjustment to make it! Although the 168SMKs aren't gonna do it very well, so, you may wanna think about sticking to 800 yards or so or changing bullets.

A 20 MOA base and 71 minutes of adj should get you everything you want with a .308.

Even if you only get half of the adjustment 35.5 MOA + 20 MOA base you will be able to get to 1100+ yards or so with the right bullet.

If this is the wrong answer, then I guess I have misunderstood your question.

Good luck!

You answered my question, thanks for the math and explanation.

I was thinking the same thing but I wasn't sure if there was something else I needed to factor in.

Thanks for the quick reply, I do not have plans on going past about 500-600 yards.