• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope adjustment housing bottomed out on rail

pdog1517

Private
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
Manhattan,KS
Need some advice. Leupold VXIII LR 6.5x20x40, Leupy 1 pc std base,
std low rings all on my 700 VS SF. Within the last 2-3 in lbs of torgue the adjustment housing makes very slight contact with the rail, before that there is 1/32"-1/64" clearance. Is this a bad situation? Do I need to remove a small amnt of material from the base to gain clearnce? The contact is very,very light. I don't want taller rings as the lows put me 1/4" from the barrel with the objective, which is how I prefer it be mounted. Any help? I found this kind of odd as this is all Leupold stuff, 30mm tube , 30mm rings and their base.
IMAG0062.jpg

Re: Scope adjustment housing bottomed out on rail

I would remove some material from the base so it clears if it was me..

That would be my choice, short of going with another base-ring setup.
I'd sooner install Talley rings directly to the action, or another system.
I never liked the twist-in's or the windage-adjusble end of that type of base/rings....but that's just me.

It looks like those rings were actually intended for the two piece mounts where clearance would not be an issue. So either get taller rings, get the two piece mounts or break out the grinder.

Thanks for the input. This is my varmint rig and really my first go with a 700. I've built and used several ARs for varmints, so all the mount options are new to me. I do not really care for the base , seems to put shit in a bind all over, but the rings were available local so I could verify heights etc. Looks like I'll be taking out the dremel and files. Talley, good stuff or no? AND, what height (trick question, I know) -40 mm objective, Rem varmint profile barrel, 30 mm tube. I have a hunt comming in 3 weeks and really don't feel like swapping stuff at this point. I had entertained the idea of the EGW base and Burris XTR rings, but I 'm not really going for the tactical look for this gun, just a nice clean rig.Thanks for all the input, and finally, will the contact actually harm anything?

Nobody, a former member with whom I had a few differences but gave a heck of a lot of damn good input, seemed to like them.
Coming from him, that means a lot.
I never actually tried them but they look like a great lightweight/clean mounting system.
This sounds like one of those "elegant simplicity" situations.

I may give em a try later down the road. Right now I have to use what I have as I have a last minute AR build going on for this upcomming hunt.

I have "gotten-by" with what I had on many occasions.
Nothing wrong with that! I am not rich either.

i would try and find a dual dovetail base at minimum. The base you have with the windage rear will cause you some headache at some time or another. I started building rings/bases because i had one of those fail and missed a huge whitetail buck because of it.

You can file on the middle of your base so the scope clears. Any clearance is just that, clearance so it wont matter if its a thin gap or a big one..

Well upon further research, the base is a LR-Long range base. I pulled the mount and it has LR stamped on the bottom. According to Leupold, this has a built in 1/4 degree which adds 15 MOA. Guess I shoulda checked earlier. The base came with the gun when I bought it. Any way of telling wether the extra material is on top or bottom of the mount? If I tighten the front two screws on the base, the rear sits 1/32 above the rear of the receiver. So, now I wonder if the base is out of spec or the receiver is a little out? I'm havin serious issues with this damn scope and mount, argh.............

which means I need new rings, again? My wife is going to come unglued when she gets the CC bill. How can Leupold build great scopes and such trash for mounts?

It's probably more the actions fault than the base, but the base may be contributing.

Filling the rear gap with bedding would likely help the interference problem. I have never bedded a base, but it should help.

Well, the mount is off and sold. I have an EGW inbound, and still deciding on rings. I got the base free from a friend and the money I got for the old base and rings will cover a set of Burris rings. Any other suggestions for rings in the 50-60 range?Mr. Seekins, I would love your rings, but they will have to wait until I sell my wife.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I started building rings/bases because i had one of those fail and missed a huge whitetail buck because of it.
</div></div>
Man, I know a bunch of us here are sure glad you missed that buck!!!