• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope Adjustment Values

Preston Cropley

Private
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2022
Pineville, LA
I’m building a rifle right now to compete in my first PRS competition and my scope will be delivered tomorrow. I went with a Steiner T6Xi 5-30x56 MSR2 which has 28 mil of elevation and the click value is .1 mrad. Now I’m reading that .2 or .25 is the ideal adjustment values that people are going with. Is this going to be a huge factor with how quickly I’m able to dial in my holds? Or am I just over thinking this?

As long as reticle and adjusts are in synq it could or would, should and will be good, I have had .05 mil adjusted scopes, still i would have 48 clicks for a certain distance and I would run the turrets and shoot that.

I cannot for one second see how that is or would be a difference shooting, unless of cours you entertain yourself with a few scopes and different values for them. That is a classic set up for failure. /Chris

Wouldn't worry about the speed of dialing. Holding over and holding off with your reticle is gonna be far faster. Just make sure the reticle supports enough hold points to support the range you wish to shoot.

You will be learning to dial elevation and holding off the wind along the main horizontal stadia to be one of the preferred ways to make hits. And the other doing pure holds with just the reticle.

The base 10 system of milradians is much easier for most novices and experts alike to use.

Reactions: Preston Cropley
I’m building a rifle right now to compete in my first PRS competition and my scope will be delivered tomorrow. I went with a Steiner T6Xi 5-30x56 MSR2 which has 28 mil of elevation and the click value is .1 mrad. Now I’m reading that .2 or .25 is the ideal adjustment values that people are going with. Is this going to be a huge factor with how quickly I’m able to dial in my holds? Or am I just over thinking this?

Wtf are you reading .2 or .25mil clicks are ideal lol?

First, I would stick with a 0.1 turret AND reticle...It will be much easier for you. Second, be careful of the MSR2 reticle for PRS. You WILL want a "tree" type reticle for those stages where you are not allowed to dial, period. Thing about that. You'll have 3 targets at various distances that you will need to HOLD on your reticle. Let's say 1.2 Mils, 2.2 Mils, and 3.2 Mils. Sounds easy right? dial the 1.2 Mil target before you start the stage and then simply hold 1 Mil on the second and 2 Mils on the third target...EASY! BUT, now there is a 12 mph full value wind that is giving you 0.7 Left wind hold at target 1, 1.0 left wind hold on target 2, and 1.3 left wind hold on target 3. Now I want you to look at your MSR2 reticle and try to figure out that elevation hold AND wind hold on those 3 targets? Do you see? You won't be able to. But, with a tree type reticle it will be very easy. Just think before you buy that scope. Hope this helps!

Probally was reading about .2 or 1/4 mil hash marks (Like the Mk5 or XTR3) and got that confused with the turret click values.

What you want to know? For PRS you want turrets that adjust in .1 mil per click and a reticle with hash marks both vertical and horizontal in .2 or .25 resolution for holding.

this is one of the dumbest threads i've ever seen. some of these replies are so fucked its beyond comprehension.

.1mil clicks is the only option.

reticles are (now) typically either .2 or .25 mil reference marks. they used to me 1 mil or .5 mil very commonly. and it's a lot of preference and you need a lot of time behind scopes to know what reticles you like. like i despise the SKMR and G series reticles. some people love them

and yes. you're overthinking this.

enjoy the scope. go shoot matches. and check out every single other scope (and action/chassis) in your price range that you can. eventually you'll probably find something that works better for you than what you run now. and that's okay.

i've run Vortex, NF, and now Zeiss scopes (have played with enough ZCO, Kahles, etc)
i've run Tikka, ARC, and now only Zermatt actions (have played with terminus impact defiance etc)
i've run KRG, MPA, MDT, Manners, McMillan, XLR, JAE and now run a Henderson HRP and an XLR Element (have played with PDC, Xylo, etc)