• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope advice- 6mm ARC AR platform

arcsandsparcs

Private
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2022
Texas
I'm purchasing a Sgt of Arms built AR in 6mm ARC. https://www.sgtofarms.com/product-page/sgt-of-arms-scout

Gun is capable of sub-MOA -not sure I am, but I guess we'll see. Best scope I've ever owned is a Vortex Viper PSTII 5-25, so looking to step up from there. I'm a bit of a newbie to this world, and am now realizing there are more scope manufacturers than there are genders at a liberal arts college.

Been thinking a 3-18ish mag level would be plenty but could be talked into a 5-25.

• What is the platform for the scope? AR15
  • What cartridge are you shooting? 6mm ARC
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Hunting (deer, predator), target- possible competition?
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Daylight, Lowlight
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? approx100-600 yds, but may want touch steel at 1,000 yds
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? Zero stop, 30mm+ tube diameter, FFP, MIL, under 32 oz, forgiving eye box
  • What is the price range you can afford? $2,000

Reactions: Ronws
Save up another $200 and order this while it’s in stock…Says they have 2 left. It’s only a couple ounces heavier, but German Schott glass, 100% made in Germany.

Get the ZF-MRi reticle, and a wide 4-25 magnification range gives you the best of both worlds. I’m telling you, it’s one amazing scope for the money!

Got to play with one at the local store tonight after work…. Yeah, I’ll be getting one. 😂

Reactions: arcsandsparcs
Add Gen II Razor 3-18x50 as an option.

lots of variation in replies. I do not think you "need" a 25x scope, but they are nice to have. Adds weight and cost. All mid-magnifications in the 14x to 20x maximum sound good to me. Many mentioned.
  • Leupold Mark 5HD 3-18
  • NF NX8 2.5-20
  • Razor HD 4.5-22
  • Arken SH4 Gen2 4-16
Sightron is a possibility. Crisp lens, but narrow depth of field, SFP and 25x. Burris is okay, but you can do better within your budget. Arken EP5 5-25x is possibility if you want to go higher magnification.

lots of variation in replies. I do not think you "need" a 25x scope, but they are nice to have. Adds weight and cost. All mid-magnifications in the 14x to 20x maximum sound good to me. Many mentioned.
  • Leupold Mark 5HD 3-18
  • NF NX8 2.5-20
  • Razor HD 4.5-22
  • Arken SH4 Gen2 4-16
Sightron is a possibility. Crisp lens, but narrow depth of field, SFP and 25x. Burris is okay, but you can do better within your budget. Arken EP5 5-25x is possibility if you want to go higher magnification.
Sightron makes them in ffp and sfp.

Burris XTRIIIi 3-18x50 with SCR2. About $1049 at Liberty Optics and take the rest of the money and buy ammo.

Yeah, I keep coming back to the XTR3i. Good price, too. Ordered.

Thanks to all for the help!

Last edited:
Here are some ideas. One of my faves is the Social Regressive (Kyle) from the neighboring state of Oklahoma.

He built up a 6 mm ARC to be an everything gun like you are describing. He is using a US Optics TS - 20x. So, not cheap glass but he is trying to be good to 500 meters or more.

Go down to the description to see a list of the gun build.

Last edited:
  • Leupold Mark 5HD 3-18
  • NF NX8 2.5-20
  • Razor HD 4.5-22
  • Arken SH4 Gen2 4-16
Good ideas. And while I may also never really go past maybe 12 - 16 on the magnification, the other thing I like about scopes in the 5-25 range is the luxuriously large and forgiving eyebox. It's not even the amount of light that gets in, which is great. But the distance and how much of the reticle you can see is what gets me spoiled.

Good ideas. And while I may also never really go past maybe 12 - 16 on the magnification, the other thing I like about scopes in the 5-25 range is the luxuriously large and forgiving eyebox. It's not even the amount of light that gets in, which is great. But the distance and how much of the reticle you can see is what gets me spoiled.
How much of the reticle you can see is determined by the FOV and not the eyebox - forgiving eyebox is how easily you can see that FOV with differing eye positions.

Yeah, I keep coming back to the XTR3i. Good price, too. Ordered.

Thanks to all for the help!
I think you'll be quite happy with the XTR3i, they are very nice for the price. Are there better scopes, sure, but not for this price. You'll appreciate the massive FOV this scope offers. I think the XTR3i 3.3-18 makes an excellent gas gun scope, The 5.5-30x56 is unnecessary for gas gun use within the ranges of typical AR cartridges, even 6.5 Creedmoor AR-10's and certainly for the 6 ARC, unless you need to do PID at distance the 3.3-18 will serve you extremely well to 1200 and beyond. Let us know what you think once you get it, get the diopter setup correctly and get it mounted.

How much of the reticle you can see is determined by the FOV and not the eyebox - forgiving eyebox is how easily you can see that FOV with differing eye positions.
I agree and did not think I was stating otherwise. Perhaps my words were unclear.

To the point, I use cheek pads from Goda Grip. They help to anchor my cheek bone on a hot and sweaty day and maintain a comfortable eye box or distance from the ocular. FOV is what you can see through the scope at a given magnification.

Or am I wrong? Of course, do not hesitate to tell me that I am wrong or phrased it incorrectly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glassaholic
I think you'll be quite happy with the XTR3i, they are very nice for the price. Are there better scopes, sure, but not for this price. You'll appreciate the massive FOV this scope offers. I think the XTR3i 3.3-18 makes an excellent gas gun scope, The 5.5-30x56 is unnecessary for gas gun use within the ranges of typical AR cartridges, even 6.5 Creedmoor AR-10's and certainly for the 6 ARC, unless you need to do PID at distance the 3.3-18 will serve you extremely well to 1200 and beyond. Let us know what you think once you get it, get the diopter setup correctly and get it mounted.

Thank you. First "real" scope- excited to give it a shot!

Now just need to figure the mount/rings. I was looking at the PEPR mounts from Burris- any others I should consider?

I agree and did not think I was stating otherwise. Perhaps my words were unclear.

To the point, I use cheek pads from Goda Grip. They help to anchor my cheek bone on a hot and sweaty day and maintain a comfortable eybe box or distance from the ocular. FOV is what you can see through the scope at a given magnification.

Or am I wrong? Of course, do not hesitate to tell me that I am wrong or phrased it incorrectly.
Sounds like I misunderstood, you are correct.

Reactions: Ronws
The 3.3-18× XTR3 certainly belongs in this conversations. If you were able to drop it alongside the 18x MK5 I think you would be pleasantly surprised at which one you like better..