• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Advice for 500-1000 yards

NevadaMarine

Shooter
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2014
Nevada
Hello Everyone,

I have a Savage 110E chambered in 7mm Rem Mag that was recently handed down to me. I am looking to put a new barrel, scope and trigger job on it. Here is what I want to do with it. I want to accurately engage variable distance targets/game up to 1000 yards. When hunting season is in, it will be my new deer, elk and maybe antelope gun. When hunting season is not in, I want to be able to see a target at an unknown distance and be able to put rounds on target.

My current experience. I grew up hunting deer with just a Remington 700 ADL in .243 and a basic 3-9x40. Longest shots were probably around 200 yards. In the Marine Corps, I have used my M4 with the 4x ACOG and have gone out to 500 yards. Also, on my M240 I had the 6x ACOG that I walked out to 800 yards. All of it was just guestimating and them walking it on. Never used the mils or moa system, but you best believe I will be learning it soon.

Beings how I can shoot 800 yards with just a 6x, I don't see why a 4-16 or something similar won't work. Is a 6-24 really that necessary? I understand that with the 24x comes pinpoint accuracy, but is the accuracy that much less with a 16x? I have read the Primal Rights ? Primal Rights -- Rifle Sighting Systems - Part 3: SFP vs FFP artical and this makes me believe that I NEED a FFP. Is that true? I have 4 scopes in mind that are in my price range and they are as follows:

Black Bear Sporting Goods - Hunting, Archery, Fishing, Camping, Hiking, Boating, & more. $597
Vortex Viper PST Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6-24x 50mm Side Focus 1/10 MIL $949
Nightforce SHV 4-14x56 MOAR Riflescope C520 for sale! $975
Steiner 4-16x50 Predator Xtreme Riflescope w/ Plex S-1 Reticle FREE S&H 5003. Steiner Rifle Scopes. $669

My budget is around $1000 and these are what I have come up with. Only the Vortex is a FFP. That NightForce is so tempting though. I have used Steiner bino's before and they were great. I don't really want any Leupolds so please don't recommend them. I think I would prefer a mil/mil scope or moa/moa scope. That makes things simple. Also, the Vortex is illuminated...I don't care about that really, it's not important to me.

If you need more info, feel free to ask.

Last edited:
I use a 4-16 Steiner and have no issues seeing impacts on targets (and misses) at 1,000 yds.

Yes, the magnification helps with pin point accuracy. If shooting IBS I would have a super mag scope. For hitting an elk's vitals, a 4-16 is more than adequate.

I'd save just a little more and get something better than the PST. The glass is usable, but not "Better than a Mark 4" as commonly stated.

I saw a Steiner 4-16 for $1200 and change in the optics for sale forum not to long ago. Seriously, save the extra $200-$500 and get a better scope than the PST.

Did you proof read this before you posted it? Either all the voices in your head were talking at once or I'm just too tired to figure out what you are asking.

WTH? This thread wasn't started by me. My response was to the OP which is now gone. Odd.

I'm not asking anything. If you look at the thread from the optics forum page, you see this was started by member 'NevadaMarine'.

I have no clue what happened to it (OP).

Last edited:
I have the Steiner as well and it helps me see UFO's, right! Hell ya it does. But if you want to eat Elk vitals don't get that fucking PST! No way Bob, haha you all know what I'm saying.

lastly magnification will help with that spaghetti! yup, save the money!