• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope advice for a newb.

Larrys1911

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2011
Hello all,

I'm looking at buying a decent scope to run on my 308 and later to be moved to the 223 or 300 Win mag if I ever decide to upgrade farther.

All of those rifles will be used for target shooting mostly and will have a possibility of being pressed into service as hunting rifles on occasion. I have access to a 600 meter range and may try my hand at F class. On occasion I may get to 1K but it will be rare.

I have never used a ranging reticle but I want one now.

I'm looking at the Vortex PST, Sightron Big Sky, Minox (which I can find next to nothing on) Maybe a used Leupold VXIII /VX3, looked at the Zeiss Conquest but I was told the adjustment range was not there so I quit looking. Read a little on Hawke and Weaver and kinda dismissed them.
I wont buy a Bushnell because I don't like the warranty.

I'm looking at the variable 4-14 range.

I'm leaning toward the Vortex but I'm reading the glass is not that great. My best scope is a Vari-X III so I don't know if I will notice the glass isn't great but I love the features.

The Sightron seems nice but I've read some posts on them not being very durable.

I like the range of the Minox (3x15) but that's about the only thing it has that's interesting.

Unfortunately I dont have any sporting goods stores within 180 miles that carry anything but Leupold and Zeiss so seeing them is most likely out. I am planning on heading to the F class comp to see if those guys are like the competition pistol crowd and willing to let you look at their stuff.

I've got a hard cap of $800ish
but I would like to stay below that if possible.

You optical guys talk to me, tell me what you recommend and why. And buy all means if I left something out in that price range let me know.

Re: Scope advice for a newb.

Give your price range and the features you want. Vortex PST, get the FFP Mil/Mil.

When people say "the glass isnt that great" Well no kidding is a sub 1k optic. The saying "you get what you pay for" is spot on when talking about optics and glass quality.

For the price the PST is a great option.

Or you could save a bit and go this route: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2716145&nt=3&page=1

Or save up even more and get a USO
wink.gif

With those distances you will most likely need a 20 MOA base. I didn't see a rifle model mentioned, but EGW might make something for you. Vortex PST is a good way to go. They make an outstanding scope for the price.

Chase B.

I always think that for the money you can not beat a Leupold Mark 4. You could get a nice used one for your price range, shoot it for a while and sell it probably for what you gave for it. The quality is really good and clarity is fine. Second choicefor that price range might be a vortex.

If you love the 3-15 mag range check out the weaver 3-15 ffp. Whats wrong with bushnells warranty? They have a lifetime warranty same as any other good scope, they even have a no questions asked full refund for the 1st year if you purchase any elite scope. The bushy 3-12 and 6-24 ffps are a great buy when you can find them onsale.

Opticsplanet I thought I put that in there, sorry.
Ill be putting it on a S/A Savage Heavy barrel 308 and I have plans for the EGW 20 MOA base. Its an older S/A with a Flat rear so I have limited options there.

Anthony1, I simply dont like the non-transferable warranty.

Thanks everyone

Larry

Get one of these for good practice/fun Vortex Solo 8x36 R/T and a used Leupold or Vortex from SWFA's samplelist or a forum's for sale area.

People sell great stuff for cheap when they listen to others talk about how it's not so great/in style any more.

Bushy and Weaver have the limited lifetime warranty for "original owner only." Weaver specifies needing the original sales receipt whereas Bushy does not indicate as much.