• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope advice for LWRC IC

Macster

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2013
Miami
Hello everyone,

after reading and reading all those wonderful in-depth discussion here I've learned a lot about scopes in general, however being very new to the sport, i feel overwhelmed to make a decision. Especially since some scope options out there and some are quite expensive. Obviously you pay for good glass and coating etc...

Goal:

I've just purchased an LWRC IC for close range training and target shooting. Most ranges here are from 50 - 300 yards. Some further away (2 1/2 hour drive go out 1000 yards). So my goal is closer range training for now. I've placed an order with LaRue for an OBR, however that's not coming for 1-2 years. I have plenty of time to practice with a scope and without. Get the fundamentals going.

I would like to acquire targets quickly as well as have fun putting close groups at 100-200 yards.

Based on your experience with various rifles would an ACOG scope be beneficial? There are so many options. Plus there is an ACOG / RMR option available too. Or are there other brands for you favor. Is a magnification better? Like 1-4 or up to 10? Obviously the ladder won't allow quick target acquisition, or?

Just wanted to hear what you have to say.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Mac

IMHO your answer has more to do with personal preference than anything. For 100-200 yard group shooting I find I can get the job done with a 2.5-10. I find that 2.5 on the low end is enough for me to get on target rather quickly. The trouble I have is shooting from really weird positions like when I do a vtac 9 hole drill (alternative positional shooting i guess it would be called) with that much mag. As long as i'm shooting from a "normal" position tho, no biggie. I think that you might like something in the 2.5-10 mag range judging by the type of shooting you are doing. Nice and compact on a 16" gun.

If you get tired of waiting for the OBR, I've got some JP LRP-07's in 308 and 6.5 on the shelf ready to ship ;)

Like Chris said, the 2.5-10x is a really versatile AR scope range; its pretty good at everything. At close range, a red dot will of course be about the fastest, followed closely by a true 1x scope like the awesome Trijicon 1-4x or Meopta 1-4x. I'm running a Voretx 2-7x32 BDC with a Trijicon RMR mounted at the 1'oclock position at I find it a really useable combo. I will probably upgrade eventually to the PST 2.5-10x32 for a little more hi end mag, and mil dials. Since I've got the RMR, I feel I could use up to a 4-16x comfortably for long range while having a super-fast acquisition up close. There is something really nice about looking through a true 1x scope though, seamless clear sight picture with floating daylight bright dot. The 4x is fine for long range torso-sized steel banging, but not so much for shooting groups.
If money weren't a concern, there are some sweet 1-8x and 1-10x options out there these days... p.s. nice rifle.

Thanks guys,

there are some really nice scope out there like the RAZOR HD GEN II 1-6X24, VCOG™ 1-6x24 Riflescop, Swarovski 1-6 or Mark 6 1-6x20mm . I'll keep reading up on those other recommendations. Luckly the street price is lower than the MSRP, on most of these scopes.

I may have to see some and feel em out as its difficult to judge by the screen.

Cheers
Mac

Last edited:
I just went through this process with building my first AR. It's going to be a 300 BLK that I plan on running mostly subs so I originally thought to just use an Eotech with a magnifier if I wanted to get out farther. After some thinking though I decided something with a reticle would be better for the drop of subsonics. I also thought down the line I may want a 6.5 Grendel barrel which would allow me to reach out much farther. I decided on a NF 2.5-10. Keep an eye out in the for sale sections here and you can probably find a good deal on something that fits your needs.

Welcome to the hide.

I have been using the Leupold FFP MK 6 1-6X20 scope on my MR 762 and it is a great scope in all respects. However for shooting distances greater than 200 yards I would choose a 2.5-10X as well.

Look into the bushnell elite 1-6.5x24. If you went with the FFP model at 1x the dot gets really small kind of like an aimpoint but not as good. It also has daylight useable illumination. 6.5x should be plenty for what your IC will be capable of.

I'm going to need a pic of this IC.........sweet rifle.

Hi guys, it's been a long time. I promised to upload some images.
For now I can only upload the final LWRC build. The LaRue OBR just arrived this week and I am waiting to get a scope for this one. It will be either the SWFA SS 5-20 or the Vortex Razor HD 5-20

I had the LWRC SPR, which is essentially the same rifle. I was on a budget when I was buying a scope for it. I ended up with the SWFA 3-9. It was a good choice for the price. I shot it out it 600 yards, and it did well.

I also just got the OBR finally after 12 month waiting in queue and opted for the SWFA SS 5-20 scope. Seems many people here gave it good reviews. Will update you with images hopefully next week.