• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope advice in mid price range

Deltagunner00

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2011
Central Indiana
Hello!
Looking for some advice and input on a mid-priced optic, which would currently go on a .308. Going to try some Tactical class PRS and use my .308. I used to shoot F Class and am pretty sure I will enjoy PRS, but wanting to give it some runs with what I have, which is my 308 in a chassis before looking to go all in with a 6mm of some sort.

Not wanting to spend more than $1,500.
My list so far:

Bushnell XRS3 6-36x56 ( I can get this under $1500 new, taxes and shipped )
Athlon Cronus BTR Gen2 4.5-29x56
Athlon Ares 4.5-30x56 ( I can get this for quite a bit less than the above 2 )
Keep looking for a used Vortex Razor Gun 2 4.5-27

Just looking for opinions and thoughts on those or anything else in that range.

Thanks!

call liberty optics for their end of month sale on Burris and snag an XTR (or a PRO if you can stretch a little more money)

i wouldnt consider the athlons or razor gen 2 anymore

Here's a lightly used Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27 that is just a little bit over your $1,500.00 limit. It has the EBR 7C Reticle (MOA).

And here's a like-new version with the Horus Reticle (MRAD), but it's more expensive.

Hello!
Looking for some advice and input on a mid-priced optic, which would currently go on a .308. Going to try some Tactical class PRS and use my .308. I used to shoot F Class and am pretty sure I will enjoy PRS, but wanting to give it some runs with what I have, which is my 308 in a chassis before looking to go all in with a 6mm of some sort.

My list so far:

Thanks!
I’ve been using the Bushnell Elite Tacticals for years with great results, so out of those you listed, the XRS would be my pick. Accidentally knocked my rifle with a DMR II Pro off the bench a few months ago. Landed right on the elevation turret and it did not lose zero. The Elite Tacticals are solid scopes. I did a review on the Tract Toric 30mm hunting scope a few months ago. Just a sample of one, but it performed so well that I would not be afraid to try either their 30mm LR or 34mm ELR as well.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: TheSunPope
I’d pick the Bushnell between those options but you can’t go wrong with finding a used Razor either. I’d also look at the Tract Toric.

Hello!

My list so far:

Thanks!

I owned and tested the athlon options - cronus and ares, side by side. I'll have to dig up some photos of them. I also tried the burris xtr III others have mentioned, and own a gen 3 (not a gen 2 though) razor. the 4th scope on this is a vortex viper pst gen 2 as well (which I still run on my 22).

hFZpx0e.jpg

If you can get the Ares or Cronus very cheap, I think you'd be happy. Especially if you find one used. I think the Cronus had slightly better glass, definitely better turrets. I would pay an extra $100-$150 for it. Not $500 more than an ares though.

A razor should likely be more durable, and admittingly Ive never had to try Athlons (similar supposedly) warranty, but Vortex has taken care of me on stuff even when it was 100% my fault. If you plan on any shooting sports where you may have a higher chance of dropping it, however, all of the options I mentioned have lifetime warranties so you should be covered either way.

Resale will be higher on the vortex razors, if you do decide to get rid of it. Ive seen burris xtr 3's lately on here and other forums for as low as $1100. A used one at that price would be a steal, but Ive also seen newer ones for sale from the forum vendors for below $1500 as well. You cant really go wrong in this category with the above options mentioned.

The only option I havent tested of the above is the Bushnell, however, MANY other options in this competitive price point will be based on the LOW optics design, athlon cronus, tract and maven come to mind as well.

I'm running an XRS3 currently and I'm pretty happy with it. I think it'd be a great choice in your price range. The Burris XTR III is worth a look as well if you wanted to save a little money. I've got the 3.3-18 and I like it better than the Ares' ETR I've used, and I hear the 5.5-30's are even better.

Bushnell 6-36 or Burris XTR IIIi 5.5-30 would serve you well. Burris has wider FOV which can be a plus. Choose the reticle you like and go that route. PA just came out with a brand new GLx 4.5-27x56 that might be worth checking out too.

There are lots of solid options these days, Bushnell ET and Burris XTR glass tend to punch above their class.