• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope advice sought—double duty for 6.5CM and 50 bmg?

vagrouser

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2013
WY
Would appreciate feedback on my situation narrowing down a scope, reticle and mount. I’ve got an AI AX in 6.5 CM and a M82A1 50 BMG, both picked up recently and neither are scoped yet.

I intend to shoot informally at 500-1000 and stretching beyond isn’t out of the question (I live in Wyoming). I may shoot occasionally at low light calling coyotes but mostly daylight on steel and targets.

These are both heavy rifles and I put a premium on durability over weight savings. I’m coming at this as a rifle hunter used to holding over for elevation with a self imposed limit of 350 yards on game (just what I feel ethically comfortable with as far as my skill set and clean kills). I’d like to practice and get some instruction to where I can start dialing for elevation and holding for wind which we have plenty of in Wyoming.

Until my fun budget recovers I’m leaning toward scoping the AI 6.5 with top shelf glass and mount and moving it to the Barrett on the less frequent times I shoot it. For now this seems to make more sense than buying two cheaper essentially redundant set ups as intended applications are basically the same between both rifles.

I figure the scope and mount would spend 90% of the time on the AI although a quick detachable mount would seem to have an advantage. Does this make sense or would you take a different approach? My scope and mount budget tops out at ~3500 and I have no problem buying gently used off the PX, etc.

I’ve been reading good things about the NF ATACR 7-35, the SB PMII 5-25 and Vortex Razor. (I have to admit though my Swarovski 10x42 binos look a lot better to me than the Vortex I returned and I’m guessing given their price I can expect similar between the NF/SB scopes and the Vortex).

I’ll happily receive any advice you throw out.
Thanks

With that budget I would highly recommend a Zero Compromise. Everything about it is superb.

I’ll leave it to others to criticize the plan of sharing scopes. It’s a pain but it can be done for a while. QD mounts probably won’t help that much because the rezeroing process will be the rate limiting step.

Those are two very different rifles. Given the recoil on a .50 BMG, I would look to brands that withstand a beating and hold zero, and are used by military. Nightforce would be my first choice. NF can withstand anything, and it is a great optic. Second choice would be Schmidt, followed by Steiner. I would stay away from Kahles and Vortex in this example, as my experience has been that they might be good scopes, but not as durable as the names I mentioned. I might consider Hendtsold, but no real reason unless you really like it.

Next is magnifiaction. 4-16 is too short. 5-25x would be my first choice, but you migth consider something higher, like the 7-35x if you will be going beyond 1,400 yards.

First choice for me would be NF ATACAR 5-25 in Mil-XT, but that is me. scopes and reticles are like shoes. Different fit for different people.

Your budget should get you a very nice optic. As mentioned above look at scopes that are BMG rated. The quick release mount would give me pause on a .50 BMG, just because.

Maybe consider a great scope (NF, S&B, RAZOR) in a great set of rings for the 6.5 and a SWFA SS 16x in a set of Barrett rings on the M82?
I shoot a M99 with the SS 16x (occa$ionally). Sighting in a .50 @ $3-$6+ per round would offset going slightly over budget in little time.