• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Scope Advice

Kevin11mee

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2020
California
Hi Everyone. I'm looking for suggestions on a rifle scope. The scope will go on a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in .300 win mag. The primary purpose of this rifle will be hunting; with max range out to about 600-700 yards. I currently own a Vortex Viper PST gen ii 3-15x44 FFP, and its a fantastic scope but it's a bit heavy at 28oz. for hiking in the mountains for deer and elk. I prefer to dial for elevation and hold for wind, so I want a nice turret with a zero stop. I'm used to a FFP scope but I'm ok with a SFP also. I also prefer MOA to MIL. Max budget would be about $1200. I'm thinking of the following three scopes from Vortex (I'm open to others, I'm just used to Vortex):

1. Viper PST 4-16 x 44. This is a SFP plane scope with no illuminated reticle, but I don't think I've ever used my illuminated reticle to shoot. Goes for around $699.

2. Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16 x44. This is a FFP with no illumination but the same reticle as the Viper PST gen ii. This one is $349 which seems like a steal but I'm guessing the glass isn't as good. Good enough for hunting?

3. Vortex Razor LHT 3-15x44. This is SFP with an illuminated reticle and it's the lightest at 19 oz. Also the most expensive at around $1000. This is probably my favorite but I wouldn't mind saving a few bucks if possible.

Let me know your thoughts.

Last edited:
Seems you are stuck on Vortex.
You have listed three different scopes, made in three different locations, China, Philippines and Japan.
First choice would be the Razor LHT, second the PST, I would not use the Diamondback as I don't think it would hold up to the recoil.
Another option is the Sightmark Pinnacle 3-18, a well made Japanese sourced scope.

Thanks. I'll check out the Sightmark.
Make sure it's the pinnacle, the other 3-18 is a Chinese scope, they are pretty dandy considering the price, but if you can swing the price for a Japanese made optic, that would always be my choice. (The Razor included).