• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Advise (Desert Tech SRS)

Racerngr1

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2010
Corona, CA
I’m moving up in the gun quality world and should probably move up in the scope world as well. I just purchased a Desert Tech SRS because of having so much fun with my RPR I’d like to shoot even further. When I bought my SRS I planned on moving my Vortex Razor Gen 1 from my RPR to the new gun but now I’m thinking of keeping that package in tact and just doing a new scope. The Razor is the highest end scope I’ve used or even looked through but not sure what to do on the Desert Tech. I’d really like to stay in the $2,500 range and would push $3,000 for the right deal but above that I feel like I would be wasting money for the quality of shooter I am and how I would actually use it. Right now I’ve been eyeballing the Nightforce ATACR and NX8, Leupold Mark 5, what other suggestions in a MOA scope? I’m open to nice used stuff too.

Do you have any shooting buddies with high end scopes? If you are your local long range....I'd ask people if I could look thru their glass...but be careful and don't look thru glass that is above your price point ;) But seriously. It's hard to take advice from us online because we are all opinionated that the one we chose is the best. What I may think is the best thing since bikini wax...you may feel is horrible.

You may like one style of turrets more than I do. You may like one reticle and I hate it. You may like the look/setup of an eyepiece. There are so many variables, and when you are going to drop that kind of cash, you really need to get some hands on before hand. We can tell you what not to buy...but there may be 5-6 worthy scopes in your budge...and really it is all down to a preference thing. Or if money actually is a big object...you may find a deal on one and you can overlook some minor things you don't like.

If weight is not a problem get the Razor Gen II there has been some good sales on them lately.

Reactions: culater
I’m actually a fan of the Vortex product but one of the reasons I’m thinking about leaving the scope on the RPR is because of the “burnt bronze” color looks terrible on a new brown FDE rifle. I know it’s first world problems but.

Atacr 4-16 or 5-25. Or nx8 2.5-20 or 4-32 if you do much hunting.

Do yourself a favor and switch to mil. The Moa reticles are subpar for the most part.

I’m actually a fan of the Vortex product but one of the reasons I’m thinking about leaving the scope on the RPR is because of the “burnt bronze” color looks terrible on a new brown FDE rifle. I know it’s first world problems but.

415DDA32-21E7-4BBD-A04C-BD3036EED894.jpeg

Reactions: LONG RNG

AMG then ?

In my opinion....if you plan to run multiple calibers as the DT is designed to do, you should give a hard look at the Revic PMR 428.

I plan to run the 6.5 creedmoor for the bulk of my shooting and 338 Lapua.

If you’re not familiar with them you may want to check them out. They have onboard ballistics with a HUD inside the scope. In short you range your target and then dial your turret until the yardage displayed on the HUD matches. You can program different profiles on your phone and then Bluetooth them to the scope. Makes switching calibers really easy.

IF you're going to take advantage of the switch barrel abilities of the SRS and like to keep your turrets 0'd vs using offsets the L-tec turrets on the RZR ii and amg are excellent. Write down your zero position from the marks under the turret cap and you never have to worry or wonder if you have it set correctly.

When looking at new or used, how much emphasis should I put on internal elevation? Just my thought process is having as much as possible to reach out as far as possible but then again, just because my scope can get there doesn’t mean I can make the rifle get the bullet there.

What is the longest range you intend to shoot....more than once?

When looking at new or used, how much emphasis should I put on internal elevation? Just my thought process is having as much as possible to reach out as far as possible but then again, just because my scope can get there doesn’t mean I can make the rifle get the bullet there.

It’s better to have a gun (and elevation adjustment) and not need it vs need and not have... Get you a mount with 20 MOA built in so you have some flexibility with respect to internal adjustment, esp when you drive the 338 to a mile+. Most high end/alpha scopes have more than enough adjustment to max out the 338 LM unless you plan on engaging targets in the next state over, haha.

For $2500, an ATACR or Schmidt Bender 5-25x56 should be more than sufficient. Spring for the 7-35 if the right deal comes along. ZComp, TT if swinging for the fences (have no clue about their MOA scope offerings but I’m sure their websites can provide the particulars).

Ive owned all of the above except the ZComp and glass is best in the TT, followed closely by the Bender, ATACR 7-35, 5-25 then Razor 4.5-27x56. Thats my subjective opinion, everyone’s eyes are a bit different. Definitely try to get behind some glass before you buy; looking through them in the store is not the same and won’t give you the info you need. All are adequate for the mission.

Reactions: Racerngr1
I have the Spuhr mount with the 60 moa cant and have plenty of Moa elevation my vortex gen 2. I have 74 moa from 210yd zero for my 300 mag and 280yd zero for my 308. When I change cal I just move my windage 5L for my 300 mag and move it back to 0 with my 308. I just use the scope reticle for windage. I pick my SRS last year and like this system A lot. Go with the Spuhr mount IMHO

Reactions: Racerngr1
What is the longest range you intend to shoot....more than once?

At this point I’d be really happy to hit a mile with my 338 but I’m always pushing myself to get better, faster, smarter, stronger. Once upon a time I never thought 1,000 would be doable but I’ve done it and now have new goals. My local range though is just under 1,000 yards so I’ll have to head out to the desert to open her up.

Last edited:
So many variables come into the equation and so many different ways to skin a cat. If you are comfortable with how you shoot your rifle (or any rifle for the matter or fact), don't waste your money chasing shi* (need to take my own advise).

SO many different scopes and mounts and loads can get you where you want to be.

For a 338 - frank had a great post about velocities and stretching that caliber past 2000. 300 grn bullets come to my mind.

I’m in the same boat. I have the SRSA1. I was running the 4.5-30x XRS2 Bushnell on mine with the DTA 40moa Mount. I ran into a issue with my setup. The scope was about 2” to far back and I couldn’t move it any further forward. I switched to my ERS 3.5-21x in the DTA and the position is perfect. For now im
Going to retire the 40MOA Mount and run the XRS2 in a NF 20MOA ended Mount. I’m not how many other run the XRS2 and need a extended Mount.

Attachments

• 2382BC1E-790E-4948-A32F-D8C32BDF2BAE.jpeg
    2382BC1E-790E-4948-A32F-D8C32BDF2BAE.jpeg
    446.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 87198BE4-6EAA-4C27-A26D-0E0F19258BB9.jpeg
    87198BE4-6EAA-4C27-A26D-0E0F19258BB9.jpeg
    538.1 KB · Views: 92
So many variables come into the equation and so many different ways to skin a cat. If you are comfortable with how you shoot your rifle (or any rifle for the matter or fact), don't waste your money chasing shi* (need to take my own advise).

SO many different scopes and mounts and loads can get you where you want to be.

For a 338 - frank had a great post about velocities and stretching that caliber past 2000. 300 grn bullets come to my mind.

If you can find that, I’d love to read it.

I had nightforce atacr on my srs! Mounted on Dta 40 moa mount. Pretty Awsome for 300 Norma and 338!

Reactions: Baer45
I just sold my NF NXS and upgraded to the Revic 428 for my new SRS A2 Covert. I am very happy with my decision but if you find a TT 5-25 jump on it! Either way get you something with the “Tool-less” rezero for the SRS.

Reactions: Baer45