• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope and Scope Mount 100 Yards

sbebenelli

Private
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2023
Iowa
I have done minimal bench shooting with a scope. I am buying a CZ 457 At-One Varmint. Thinking of buying this scope with this scope base. My local range is 50 and 100 yards so most my shooting will be those distances. I assume mostly 100 yards. Is this scope acceptable for what I'm using it for? What elevation scope base do I need?

I'm open to all opinions if there are better options in same price range. Or even less if there are just as good less expensive options.

I have done many forum searches and tried to come up with help without asking. I know these type of questions are asked all the time. A lot of searches were older than 2 years old so I'd like more up to date thoughts on scopes.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Just be aware with that scope the reticle is in Mils and the Turrets adjust in MOA

I could make a lot of suggestions on what you should buy, but I think you’re in need to spend some time here and read…
Your choice of a scope is not what anyone on here would have suggested.

Unless your barrel is severely misaligned with regards to the receiver rail, most any scope will adjust up the 7” or so for a 100yd hit with an initial 50yd zero.
If you take to shooting either tiny targets inside of 100y, or steel out to 500yds, I can’t recommend a first focal plane (FFP) scope strongly enough. This means that no matter what magnification you choose, the reticle and target will always be the same relationship of size. People get hung up on Mils vs MOA turrets and reticles, I say pic a reticle you like, and just make sure the turrets use the same values.
In my opinion the absolute best buy in a scope today is the Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25X56. I personally prefer the reticle in MOA, which has 32MOA tick marks above center, and 36MOA below. That makes for a whole lot of hold over if I’m on a clock and have no time to dial the turret.
As for rails, generally it’s best to go close to half your scope’s possible adjustment range in rail tilt (SE has 110 MOA of adjustment, a 50MOA allows dialing a 50yard zero easy).
A647CEB0-065F-45CF-BC8C-6DC114783DE2.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: camocorvette
Unless your barrel is severely misaligned with regards to the receiver rail, most any scope will adjust up the 7” or so for a 100yd hit with an initial 50yd zero.
If you take to shooting either tiny targets inside of 100y, or steel out to 500yds, I can’t recommend a first focal plane (FFP) scope strongly enough. This means that no matter what magnification you choose, the reticle and target will always be the same relationship of size. People get hung up on Mils vs MOA turrets and reticles, I say pic a reticle you like, and just make sure the turrets use the same values.
In my opinion the absolute best buy in a scope today is the Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25X56. I personally prefer the reticle in MOA, which has 32MOA tick marks above center, and 36MOA below. That makes for a whole lot of hold over if I’m on a clock and have no time to dial the turret.
As for rails, generally it’s best to go close to half your scope’s possible adjustment range in rail tilt (SE has 110 MOA of adjustment, a 50MOA allows dialing a 50yard zero easy).View attachment 8170275
Thank you for you input. It helped. I appreciate it.

Reactions: obx22
Do you plan on competing at all? If you end up shooting PRS style matches you will want a FFP reticle with matching turretes. And if you shoot MILs you will be speaking the same language as almost everybody else there.
MDT makes a very nice scope rail for the CZ. And the Athlon Helos 6-24 BTR gen 2 is a very nice scope.
This website is from a guy on here Spartan Precision Arms, he will hook you up with a good pice if you decide you want one.
I do not know how to put his name or contact fom here.

Always good to ask questions. I've got an Area419 base with a 30 MOA cant and it's great. For me the bubble level in the base itself isn't as ideal since the scope, once set up, may be at a cant/angle. For that there's separate bubble levels from say $40 for a starting one up to $200 plus for electronic ones.

For overall purpose, are you thinking of any competitions down the line like PRS/NRL22 matches or is it solely a backyard can knocker for fun? (both of which are valid goals.) As mentioned, if you're thinking competition, where targets may be at different distances, sizes, etc. going for a First Focal Plane (FFP) will make it easier to range targets and adjust on the fly. For example, say there's a stage with a moving target. If you can estimate the speed, you can dial in and then hold over based on the hash marks in the reticle. If using a Second Focal Plane scope the marks only matter at the specific magnification/distance listed in the manual (say full magnification at say 100 only.) For anything detailed you'd likely want a reticle with more information in it, something like a tree for different distances, wind, etc. Not that BDCs aren't cool, but for precision shots there's better options even at lower price points that give you more info these days.

MILS v MOA. I mean, both will measure the same thing, just in different units. On one hand, if you've learned on one of them and have used it forever it might not be worth switching up. But if you're open to learning MILS, other competitors will almost all be using them so when they talk about wind, hold overs, drop, etc. if you're speaking in the other measurement language it's an extra step to translate.

I've been using a Vortex Diamondback Tactical x6-24. Most of the time I'll be at x12, sometimes out to x18 for relatively longer shots. I'm staying in base/production class for the moment so not getting any fancier with scopes yet on it. For some great recommendations I'd suggest checking out the gear lists for the top shooters for PRS and NRL (found online.) That'll give you recommendations of what the top performers are running on theirs. That will give you ideas for brands, reticles, price points, etc.

There's also gear rabbit holes for bipods, bags, etc.

I appreciate everyones input. I'm listening to everyone and taking everything in. It will not be for competitions. Just target shooting for fun. The longest our local outdoor range allows rimfire is 100 yards.

$200 - $300 gets you a bulletproof SWFA 6X fixed SCOPE in MIL/MIL. Far less cost and far more robust than the Leupold.

I vote look for a used strike eagle in the px. 5x25 and in mil. Will work flawless for everything you ever want.