• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope assistance for pig-headed son

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
Trying to help out my son (22) who is putting together his first rifle. We have a little bit of Call of Duty and Good ol Boy working so I understand these choices are a bit odd, but its his money and he is starting his adult journey.

Platform: Bolt Action 30-06 (likely a weatherby). (I lost this battle--even I STARTED at 308--ugh)
Useage: Realistically mostly Daytime target practice, under 400 yards. We hope to get back deer hunting sometime, but the areas we hunt 400 yard shots are extremely unlikely. So we'll call it 400 and under. White tail deer/ possibly Hog in Texas. We have opportunities for locally 1000+ but he's never gone with me and he's largely independent now.
Wants: He isn't sure. I'm a FFP guy, we've chatted about it he wants a tactical reticle or "hashmarks" as he calls them. At least mill-dot, likely something more "tactical" (yes this frustrates me too)
Budget: $600 or less. I do believe their is some flexibility on this--but he is also young man of limited financial means (working full time but min wage).

I have 0 clue about this price range of scope, I've bought my share of junkers, but with full knowledge they are junkers--trying to get him a little more lasting.

Nuthin wrong with an 06 weathering (as long as it's not a wood stocked Mark V). The scope budget gets him a Bushnell. It is what it is. Some like them well enuf.

Maybe look at the Meopta Optika6 scopes? The MRAD reticle is pretty nice and it looks tactical with the exposed elevation turret lol. It's a little more than his budget, but its a great scope, and you get illumination and FFP for a good price ($749).

Reactions: vinniedelpino
So he wants a "tactical style" scope to be used on a Weatherby rifle that will be used mostly for target shooting? Hmmm.

And he knows a lot more than his old man, right? Just ask him.

I would suggest he look at a 6.5 caliber (260, 6.5 Creedmoor) in a Savage Axis and an Athlon Talos BTR 4-14x44 Mil scope for a minimum wage style shooter.

I have an Athlon Talos BTR 4-14 that I have used on my 6.5 Grendel and a 284 Win which has worked great out to 1000 yds. And it has the all important tactical hash marks.

APLR2-FFP-IR-MIL-PWR-414.png

Reactions: spife7980
An athlon Argos btr 2.5-15x might be just right. I think Doug at camera land has them on sale for $550 or at least did recently. I just put one on my sons 22. Seems well made, glass is decent, FFP, mil/mil, tree style reticle.

Tell him to find a Leupold Mark AR.....that should be “tacticool” enough for him. It’s not ffp though.

Another vote for the SWFA 3-9, it is a great scope for the money and should be a good learning platform. Additionally, if he decides to trade up someday, he can sell it for most of what he has in it.
It might look a little funny atop a deer gun, but it will be a good learning scope.

For me, the toughest part of parenting a son at that age is letting them screw up and pay the price for it. But, silver lining: it feels great when they finally come back and say, "you were right, I should'a listened", just like most of us eventually had to do with dads before, and before them, and before them...

Reactions: Brazo and jakelly
So he wants a "tactical style" scope to be used on a Weatherby rifle that will be used mostly for target shooting? Hmmm.

And he knows a lot more than his old man, right? Just ask him.

I would suggest he look at a 6.5 caliber (260, 6.5 Creedmoor) in a Savage Axis and an Athlon Talos BTR 4-14x44 Mil scope for a minimum wage style shooter.

I have an Athlon Talos BTR 4-14 that I have used on my 6.5 Grendel and a 284 Win which has worked great out to 1000 yds. And it has the all important tactical hash marks.

View attachment 7495131

Yeah that caliber choice is where the pig-headed comes from--he is bound determined to do 30-06 because it is always in stock. He works at Cabela's at the gun counter so now of course he knows everything. Weatherby is a fine choice, but I'm almost 100% certain he doesn't care or use a reticle for ranging, adjusting, wind, etc. I try and talk to him about it--in one ear out the other. He has to play leauge of legends.

If he works at Cabela's, does he get a discount buying from them? Is it enough to skip online retailers?

Also, does he have time to look through their scopes?

How about the Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15x50 in MIL on sale for $549.99

FEATURES
  • HD Glass: HD Glass gives you better light transmission, brighter, and sharper image.
  • Illuminated Reticle: The illuminated reticle provides greater visibility during dusk and dawn and other low ambient light environment.
  • First Focal Plane Reticle: First focal plane reticle stays valid at all power settings allowing you to fully utilize the specially designed reticle that shrinks or grows along with your target as you zoom in or out. The reticle offers quick target engagement at low power while offering precise holdover positions with finer details.
  • Etched Glass Reticle: Reticle etched on the glass that provides excellent backing support for complex reticle design and offers great durability and much higher shock resistance to recoil
  • Advanced Fully Multicoated: Fully Multicoated optics effectively reduces reflected light and increases the transmission of light giving you a brighter image than normal single coated lenses
  • XPL Coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches or anything else mother nature can throw at you.
  • Precision Zero Stop System: The system allows you to lock down your zero position and dial back to it with a sharp and precise stop right at your zero mark even you are turning it in pitch-dark or blinded folded.
  • High Precision Erector System: The high precision erector system processed by high precision CNC machine with +/- 0.0001mm tolerance level to provide you the most accurate power settings and smoothest magnification change
  • 6061 T6 Aluminum: The 6061T6 aircraft grade aluminum tube that has exceptional strength and superior mechanical integrity will protect these world class optics no matter what punishment you throw at it.
  • Exposed Tactical Direct Dial: Exposed Direct Dial Turrets for elevation and windage allow you to quickly make adjustment as you needed and engage your target within a blink of your eyes
  • One Piece Tube Construction: Heat treated one piece tube gives the scope extra strength over multi-piece tubes. A one piece tube also is better at keeping moisture out thus keeping your scope fog proof for the life of the product
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the scope in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater
  • Fog proof: Fog proof to allow you to immediately engage your target when you take your rifle to cold ambient temperature from warm inside
  • Shockproof: Robust mechanical system with special designs on both control and erector system that give you the ultimate recoil resistance to withstand 1000G recoil for 1000 times.
  • Argon Purged: Argon Purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability .

Attachments

• 212004r.jpg
    212004r.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: BikePilot and rhsc
Get him a Barska or Counter Sniper and let him learn the hard way that only wealthy men can afford cheap things.

iu

Where is that thread by the way? That was the most epic thread ever.

I'll jump on the bandwagon and say: seriously consider the Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15x50 from Doug @ cameraland.

Reactions: gnochi
Athlon, Arken, SWFA, Optika6, Nikon black...

Maybe even a blemished xtrii or bushy.

Lots of OK options for $600, especially if you're willing to go used.

He gets discounts on the models Cabela's sells. Dollars to doughnuts he wants to use his discount ~ I think that would be the best starting point.

See what type of discount he gets on Crimson Trace scopes and have him look at the 2 and 3 series scopes.

Appreciate the feedback--I'll point him at your recommendations. The firearms discount is small but sometimes there are deals to be had. I did also teach him to be a tightwad so maybe he'll take a look.

@Mute brilliant suggestion--my thought was first a LTC class here in Texas. I'm hard on him, but he represents firearms community well. Maybe even some father-son time in a class. But absolutely gotta get him in a fundamentals class.

Reactions: Mute
There were some Discontinued Nikon FFP, Mil reticle with zero stop floating around out there, that look call of duty cool in the $500 price range, a buddy bought one for his kids 260 a lot of glass for the money. The down side is Nikon went out of the scope business, my assumption is it is like a pamper when it take a shit you though it out.

Where in Texas? If around Houston, Aaron Roberts of Roberts Precision does precision rifle classes. I haven't attended a class, but he has built a few guns for me, standup guy, knows his stuff (and his gunsmith work is artwork-quality stuff, you almost hate to beat it up by using it.)
I agree that a class will be invaluable, scopes will come and go. No gear offsets bad technique.

If he isn't asking for advice, this is all wasted effort. He's an adult- at least he thinks he is. Pig-headed is one thing. Being 22 is another. Being pig-headed and 22 is something to leave to its own. He'll figure it out. Or he won't. Life will move forward. Give your opinion if he asks. Smile when he brags about what he bought.

Athlon needs an illuminated donut 2.5-15 with tree below it. Their new 1-10 mil reticle just in a lighter weight 30mm 2.5-15 body. The Ares is nice but hard to use on lower mags for hunting.

He should get a big discount on the cabellas brand. If it's 40 or 50% tell him to look at the CX pro HD if not that much the covenant series will get him down the road along ways for very short money. There is nothing wrong with the 06. They come with a 10twist so after he starts handloading he can move to shooting the 215 bergers at about 2700fps which will deliver the mail on an elk quite well. I've been running the 195tmk's in my 12tw 308 at 2704fps. I would expect that at least in a 24"06. They shoot bugholes and flatten game. The Weatherby comes with the 24" tube so that's a plus and they shoot well as a rule. Once he starts to see how things work he will be better informed. You learn far more from a failure or misstep than from greatness when you have no experience.

Nuthin wrong with an 06 weathering (as long as it's not a wood stocked Mark V). The scope budget gets him a Bushnell. It is what it is. Some like them well enuf.
I agree. Bushnell sells one that's only marketed direct from the company, to keep the price competitive, and it's right around $500. It's the MatchPro 6-24x50. If you want Schott glass, the Tract Toric comes in two applicable magnifications, one's about $1K and the other is about $1.5K. Excellent scopes, especially for the price. Tracking on them is very good. That said, I use Bushnell, since their low-light transmission, anti-fogging, and anti-glare are real good. Not Schott, not FFP, but mostly mildot reticles in mine. Mildots and a 20 MOA rail will make 1K easy. .30-'06 is an excellent round for 1K shooting. A plain Winchester Sporter with 24" barrel will do the job just fine. They are all 10-twist, so the heavier Berger or Hornady bullets will work well.

Athlon needs an illuminated donut 2.5-15 with tree below it. Their new 1-10 mil reticle just in a lighter weight 30mm 2.5-15 body. The Ares is nice but hard to use on lower mags for hunting.

And the 3-18 Ares ETR they just released has the tiny dogs and thin crosshairs and weighs 35oz. I just don’t get it, man.

Reactions: 308ftWIN
Nothing wrong with 30-06 but for an all round deer rifle I would steer him into a .270 (derived from that round but better ballistics) and try to find a minty L61R Sako. Top it with a Zeiss Conquest. Call it classic and done.

Trying to help out my son (22) who is putting together his first rifle. We have a little bit of Call of Duty and Good ol Boy working so I understand these choices are a bit odd, but its his money and he is starting his adult journey.

Platform: Bolt Action 30-06 (likely a weatherby). (I lost this battle--even I STARTED at 308--ugh)
Useage: Realistically mostly Daytime target practice, under 400 yards. We hope to get back deer hunting sometime, but the areas we hunt 400 yard shots are extremely unlikely. So we'll call it 400 and under. White tail deer/ possibly Hog in Texas. We have opportunities for locally 1000+ but he's never gone with me and he's largely independent now.
Wants: He isn't sure. I'm a FFP guy, we've chatted about it he wants a tactical reticle or "hashmarks" as he calls them. At least mill-dot, likely something more "tactical" (yes this frustrates me too)
Budget: $600 or less. I do believe their is some flexibility on this--but he is also young man of limited financial means (working full time but min wage).

I have 0 clue about this price range of scope, I've bought my share of junkers, but with full knowledge they are junkers--trying to get him a little more lasting.
At his age, I had a 6.5-20X50 Leupold on my 300 Weatherby Lazermark. The scope did better than the rifle because it worked in warm weather. Cost $325 in 1990. I still have a Leupold on a 300 Win Mag. Works very well and that one cost $850 in 2010. I doubt if your son will get much of a scope for $600 today and he needs to get a grip on the fact that expensive optics is money well spent. I buy most of my scopes today from Eurooptic. Eurooptic always has demos and sales going on their website. If you asked them for their bottom dollar, they will work with you. He needs a scope with a broad range in power. He can always dial it back when close and dial it up for distance. For perspective, have him look a Nightforce ATACR 7-35X56 FFP mil or moa. THAT is a real scope and will help him get focused.

Get him a Barska or Counter Sniper and let him learn the hard way that only wealthy men can afford cheap things.

iu

Where is that thread by the way? That was the most epic thread ever.
It's in the Legendary Thread. Don't remember what it was called though.

Another vote for the SWFA 3-9, it is a great scope for the money and should be a good learning platform. Additionally, if he decides to trade up someday, he can sell it for most of what he has in it.
It might look a little funny atop a deer gun, but it will be a good learning scope.

For me, the toughest part of parenting a son at that age is letting them screw up and pay the price for it. But, silver lining: it feels great when they finally come back and say, "you were right, I should'a listened", just like most of us eventually had to do with dads before, and before them, and before them...

Another vote for the 3-9 SWFA. Great hunting scope and can stretch the distance with it too.

John

How about the Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15x50 in MIL on sale for $549.99

FEATURES
  • HD Glass: HD Glass gives you better light transmission, brighter, and sharper image.
  • Illuminated Reticle: The illuminated reticle provides greater visibility during dusk and dawn and other low ambient light environment.
  • First Focal Plane Reticle: First focal plane reticle stays valid at all power settings allowing you to fully utilize the specially designed reticle that shrinks or grows along with your target as you zoom in or out. The reticle offers quick target engagement at low power while offering precise holdover positions with finer details.
I have one of these, nice scope for the money!!