• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope barrel clearance, how low is to low? Pics up

jesseanderson2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
I finally mounted my NF 5.5-22x56 onto my gap 7WSM. I used NF rings. The scope is so close to the barrel that I can't get any caps over the end of the scope. Is there a point where I have to tell myself I'm to close. Should I just swap for a higher set of rings? I have searched the net and found different awnsers ranging from .20" to as long as your not touching your barrel your fine.

Working on pics

100_1519-1.jpg

100_1529.jpg

100_1521.jpg

100_1520.jpg

Re: Scope barrel clearance, how low is to low?

Too low is when the bell touches the barrel. As long as you can see light you're good. You don't really want to get higher rings, the lower the scope the better.

I had the same problem with the caps-- this can be solved with a belt sander by taking a little off the edge of the cap.

I agree with M45, lower is better.

But having watched high speed videos of a rifle in recoil, I'd say 1/8" minimum gap from scope bell to gun barrel is what I'd need to feel comfortable.

Two US quarters stacked together are about 1/8", so if you can slide them through the gap you're good.

I tested it and I can't get a dime under it. If I had to guess I would say the gap is half the thickness of a dime.

The only thing that I would do, would be to modify the cap to have it fit. Lower is the best way to go... as long as you achieve the correct cheek weld. You may still require a cheek pad to get the correct cheek weld even then. Very important.

The Sniper class that I went too, you had to keep your weapon trained on the target and hold. We held for almost 8 minutes prior to being given the order to fire. For those people that don't have the proper cheek weld... LOTS OF FATIGUE!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it were me, I'd sell off the 56mm and buy a proper 50mm. Then you'll be GTG.

You really don't need a 56. </div></div>

I got both mine used and they are both 56's. It would be nice to have 50's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only thing that I would do, would be to modify the cap to have it fit. Lower is the best way to go... as long as you achieve the correct cheek weld. You may still require a cheek pad to get the correct cheek weld even then. Very important.

The Sniper class that I went too, you had to keep your weapon trained on the target and hold. We held for almost 8 minutes prior to being given the order to fire. For those people that don't have the proper cheek weld... LOTS OF FATIGUE!!

DK </div></div>

I have an adjustable cheek piece its a AI 1.5. Shouldn't be to much of an issue. I think the cap mod will be the way for me to go. Thanks for the input. I just didn't want to cause any barrel to scope issues.

opplanet-leupold-vx7l-18x56mm-riflescope.jpg

...makes you ask yourself, how low IS too low?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunswanted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tested it and I can't get a dime under it. If I had to guess I would say the gap is half the thickness of a dime. </div></div>

I'd say that's TOO low. When a rifle is shot all kinds of crazy things happen and things flex in ways that are perplexing. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that small of a gap, although others may disagree.

Have you shot it at all?

Nah, don't care too much for that scope line.

I have not shot this rifle yet. I bought it ondeployment and I got home 3 weeks ago. This was the first time I got a scope on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dareposte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure what you're putting it on, but check out this video:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2008/10/14/slow-motion-video-of-scope-and-barrel-flexing/

That's why I like a bit of a gap. Even if it's not a .50 cal there's still some flex, and it can't be good for the scope if it contacts the barrel.

</div></div>

in that video, his freaking rail flexed in the rear, causing the scope to flex. At least, that's what I saw. Had it not, I imagine there wouldn't be a lot of this energy re-directed back to the glass.

Definitely the mount flexed in the rear. I've seen similar videos on a solid base rem700, but haven't located them to post yet. If/when I do I'll add a link here.

Just something to think about when deciding how low is too low. For my money if I have a nice scope like a NF (which I unfortunately don't), I'd probably give it a bit of breathing room.

Shit, I have a Premier 5x25, with about 1/8th to go, sitting in 1 inch BO USMC's.

IMG_0027-2.jpg

Nice rifle!

With the short action and one piece base I'd say you are most definitely fine. If you're worried stick a piece of clay on the bottom of the scope bell and see how close it comes.

netranger 6 I need to know who did the skins? I was going to have 30calsniper do mine later this year. multicam rocks!!

And back to the subject.........

powder burns, you do have a great point. Why would leupold sell a scope that contours to the barrel if the scope has to be further away from the barrel. I see your point also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunswanted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">netranger 6 I need to know who did the skins? I was going to have 30calsniper do mine later this year. multicam rocks!!

And back to the subject.........</div></div>

Hondo did 'em over at www.freedomgraphix.com, give him a call. About a 2 week turn around, +/- a day or so.

Re: Scope barrel clearance, how low is to low? Pics up

You've got plenty of room. Nice how the bell follows the contour!

Mine (shoots just fine):
733e4d1e.jpg

Re: Scope barrel clearance, how low is to low? Pics up

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunswanted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I finally mounted my NF 5.5-22x56 onto my gap 7WSM. I used NF rings. The scope is so close to the barrel that I can't get any caps over the end of the scope. Is there a point where I have to tell myself I'm to close. Should I just swap for a higher set of rings? I have searched the net and found different awnsers ranging from .20" to as long as your not touching your barrel your fine.

Working on pics

100_1519-1.jpg

100_1529.jpg

100_1521.jpg

100_1520.jpg
</div></div>
You actually have more clearance than I do when I have my BCs' installed, and a bit less clearance than I do without my BCs' installed. I had to grind the bottom edge of the Objective BC to clear my Tac Ops Heavy Contour, and it just clears the top of the barrel.

I also have a 40 MOA base and a 2" USO ARD screwed-on so that also plays a part in the clearance - removing the ARD doesn't really gain me much clearance due to the incline of the 40 MOA base. The photo below was taken without the ARD or BCs' on but you get the "picture".

<span style="font-weight: bold">PMII 5-25X w/USO 2" ARD in Seekins .970" (High) Rings, on Tac Ops 40 MOA Two-Piece Base, over Tac Ops Heavy Contour barrel:</span>
ARDBarrelClearance8x6.jpg

Keith