• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Scope base bedded in JB Weld

Familydude

Spending my kids’ paltry inheritance on hobbies
Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 14, 2020
    California
    Just bought a Remington barreled action. In great shape but the scope base was bedded in JB Weld. I would like to swap it out for a different type but don’t know if it would be worth the trouble. From looking at JB’s website, heating the epoxy up to 500 degrees is really the best way to get it off. Anyone else ever deal with this?

Just bought a Remington barreled action. In great shape but the scope base was bedded in JB Weld. I would like to swap it out for a different type but don’t know if it would be worth the trouble. From looking at JB’s website, heating the epoxy up to 500 degrees is really the best way to get it off. Anyone else ever deal with this?

Bruh...replace the base.........

That’s the plan. Wondering if anyone else has dealt with the same thing and had any advice on the best way to get it off. Hate to screw something up.

A clothes iron will heat it up enough to remove the JB.
    Leave one screw in the base. Set the rifle up level. Set the iron on high without water or steam.
    Place the iron on top of the base and come back in ten minutes.
    Set the iron aside, pull the screw (it is hot so be careful).
    Lift the base and scrape away the JB with popsicle sticks.

DON'T GET IT IN THE SCREW HOLES

You might have to do it a couple times, but most of it should come off.

Bed the new base and no-one will ever know that you didn't get all of the JB off...

A clothes iron will heat it up enough to remove the JB.
    Leave one screw in the base. Set the rifle up level. Set the iron on high without water or steam.
    Place the iron on top of the base and come back in ten minutes.
    Set the iron aside, pull the screw (it is hot so be careful).
    Lift the base and scrape away the JB with popsicle sticks.

DON'T GET IT IN THE SCREW HOLES

You might have to do it a couple times, but most of it should come off.

Bed the new base and no-one will ever know that you didn't get all of the JB off...
    Awesome tip, I’ll give it a try. Thank you.

I would prefer to have my scope base bedded over not bedded. If its already done just leave it alone.
    I agree on having it bedded. Just want a different base. I’ll bed the new one. Appreciate the response.

Reactions: spife7980
    The epoxy needs to be “thinned” so the old base can easily be removed from the action. The epoxy is on both.

Is there epoxy on both front and rear part of the base?

If just one side remove all of the screws and hit the non glued side sideways with a block of wood or a soft face hammer. They may not have done a good degreasing either if they were that dumb. It might pop right off.

Reactions: Familydude
    If you don't care about the base, heat it up with propane torch, take a metal punch, put it on one end of the base, and whack it hard with a hammer. Should come off without much trouble.

Reactions: Familydude
    Id just be a man and bite it off
    Chewing Metal - James Bond GIF - JamesBond Jaws Metal - Discover ...

Did the base bond/weld to the action?

If not, I would not do the iron thing where you leave it sitting on the base. The heat will transfer down softening the jb weld on the base but also on the action. If the base is not welded on and can be removed, there is no point in softening it's jb weld.

You want to remove only what's on the action and I would rather do it with a dremel than heating up and having the potential for some of it to get into the screw holes and hardening in there.

It’s actually quite common and works fine to JB the bases to the action. Helps on heavy recoiling rifles, heavy scopes, and non-lugged bases and rails. Heat it up, tap them with a hammer and they’ll fall off.