• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope base choice for .308 AR-10t

Bizill

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Hello all. I am posting from my cell phone so please be kind. With the little time i've had to research and being new to long range, i am asking for quick help/opinions from you all.

I've got an Armalite AR-10t in .308. Ordered the swfa ss 5-20x50 scope. Black hills 168g bthp. Flat top upper with fiberglass handgaurd. For mounts I have narrowed down my choices between the Aadmount 20 moa and the Bobro standard low slightly forward. I have been back and forth and have much reading yet to do, but i need to make an informed decision soon, before swfa ships me my scope.

Please give me your opinion. I want to get out to 1,000 yards someday and wish to make the best choice now. I like the Aadmount for being bulletproof and 20moa built in. I cant find a good chart for .308 on my phone so it's hard for me to figure out if i need any extra moa/mil when the ss 5-20 offers 30mil of travel itself. What i like with the bobro over the aadmount is a lower/tighter cheekweld, though i know the aadmount would be as comfortable for my cheek structure.

Please, anyone offer advice if you are willing. I know i have TONS to learn, but i need to settle on a scope base very soon and i cannot decide with my limited knowledge. Thank you hide and lowlight and swfa and all the rest of paid advertisers.

Re: Scope base choice for .308 AR-10t

i should think ......you would be best served , with something other that the 168 grn boolits.....they WILL go stupid on you at about 825 to 850 yd, so........all the scope hunting now is a moot point.....
YOU DID COMPLETE YOUR PROFILE.........right!?

I would first look for a 20moa cant with that scope to keep your zero on the first revolution as a makeshift zero stop. You won't need the 20moa to get to 1k yds, as depending on your setup that should be done with 10-ish mils, but it doesn't hurt either.

Do you have the standard fixed stock? If so and unless you have really low cheek bones you may still be less than happy with the height of the Aadmount. They work great with large objective scopes (56mm+) or shooters with a PRS stock though. Your own face and personal preference will of course dictate what you'll be able to get solid stock weld with, so I could be off.

I'm going to be putting mine in a 1.375" high NF Unimount. Doing the math it will clear the 50mm objective. I have this mount holding a SS 3-9x right now, and they are a very nice setup. I'll post up how it fits next month when I get home provided the scopes make it in with no drama.

If only there was another group buy on Spuhr.....

And listen to Boltripper on the ammo. 168gr is a <600yd round IMO.

+1 on what the guys above me have stated about the 168gr ammo. For distances beyond 600yds, you're better suited with the 175gr. For the American Defense mount you'll need to plan on getting a Magpul PRS because without the adjustable cheek piece, the scope is going to be too high unless you have a really fat head. Just sayin'...

As i mentioned, i have MUCH to learn... and i will. 168 grain too light past 700, to be conservative - noted. And yes, i have the standard stock and tossed around ideas of either a magpul acs or the prs, two different beasts altogether. Brady at swfa measured the particular bobro at 1.38".

I dont know much about zero stops except for much of the bitching from both sides (necessary/un) but i believe i know what your geting at with the 20 moa for easier recognizable makeshift "zero stop".

You will likely not need to go for a cantilever mount.
Mostl likely will a non cantilever mount work for you, so you also have the choise of a number of straight mounts.

Håkan

A 4" eye relief scope, UBR stock and my giraffe-like neck means I have to go with a cantilever.

Judging by pics and by the POS scope i have now, it's just about a necessity i get a cantilever. 4" eye relief dictates this, i believe. I want the spurh, but i'm a working case of champagne taste on a beer budget.

I have a 10T, and went with the 20MOA Badger adapter and some low rings. I have a a PRS but I'm probably going to change back to an A2. I don't like the location of the adjustable cheek rest on the PRS. Just can't get used to it. I have an IOR 3-18x42.
I'd look seriously at the NF Unimount. That's the direction I'll be going when I switch back to teh A2.
The Bobro is IMO the best QD mount out there, but if you don't need QD, I wouldn't go that route.

Yeah, i have no need for dismounting of the scope. but word has it that the bobros when locked down have enough force so that movement is a non-issue. i almost went the badger 22 moa rail adapter and then seekins rings, but i just dont wish to introduce another "middleman" into the equation. i want my rings or base to mount directly between the upper and scope.

for me, the aadmount would be perfect if not for height. the spurh, if not for cost. the bobro, if not for lack of additional moa and unecessay QD. i know there is the nightforce, larue and AD. my head is spinning. they are all terrific but it's a matter of follow through. window shopping is getting tiresome. also, i wish to keep my business through swfa.

I have a QD mount simply because I like having the ability to quickly remove my optic without the need for tools. In addition to that, it makes switching to iron sights much easier than it would be if I needed a wrench to remove the mount first and no matter how many times I remove and then re-attach my scope, I NEVER lose my zero.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 10T, and went with the 20MOA Badger adapter and some low rings. I have a a PRS but I'm probably going to change back to an A2. I don't like the location of the adjustable cheek rest on the PRS. Just can't get used to it. I have an IOR 3-18x42.
I'd look seriously at the NF Unimount. That's the direction I'll be going when I switch back to teh A2.
The Bobro is IMO the best QD mount out there, but if you don't need QD, I wouldn't go that route. </div></div>

I have the NF Mount on my Armalite AR10, very happy with it. And @ Steelcomp your not happy with your PRS? I was thinking about buying one as i'm not happy with with my A2 stock, maybe I should try one first.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 10T, and went with the 20MOA Badger adapter and some low rings. I have a a PRS but I'm probably going to change back to an A2. I don't like the location of the adjustable cheek rest on the PRS. Just can't get used to it. I have an IOR 3-18x42.
The Bobro is IMO the best QD mount out there, but if you don't need QD, I wouldn't go that route.</div></div>

One comment, that Badger 22MOA mount didn't cut it for me. It only knocks under 4MOA off(about 0.23deg, I measured AND verified with rounds down range and having to run 6 mils high to hit 100 yards), seriously...I'm going to be building my own AR riser rail(my shop machines a bunch of parts) just out of my sheer disappointment in rushing to get a new mount for a competition and barely getting a mil of adjustment more out of my LMT308 last week(using Hensoldt SSG scope with only ~11mils of elev. adjustment).

Mike

I'm in the same boat as you. Pretty close to finishing my Ma-Ten build and I bought the 5-20x50 HD SWFA SS, and unsure of which mount to use. I decided that I won't likely need a canted mount, but I won't be absolutely sure w/o trying it IRL. I have a PRS stock as well. I have a Troy TRX railed handguard so I don't want the objective bell to hit the rail. Let me know what you go with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: metalmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 10T, and went with the 20MOA Badger adapter and some low rings. I have a a PRS but I'm probably going to change back to an A2. I don't like the location of the adjustable cheek rest on the PRS. Just can't get used to it. I have an IOR 3-18x42.
The Bobro is IMO the best QD mount out there, but if you don't need QD, I wouldn't go that route.</div></div>

One comment, that Badger 22MOA mount didn't cut it for me. It only knocks under 4MOA off(about 0.23deg, I measured AND verified with rounds down range and having to run 6 mils high to hit 100 yards), seriously...I'm going to be building my own AR riser rail(my shop machines a bunch of parts) just out of my sheer disappointment in rushing to get a new mount for a competition and barely getting a mil of adjustment more out of my LMT308 last week(using Hensoldt SSG scope with only ~11mils of elev. adjustment).

Mike
</div></div>I haven't had that experience with mine, but that doesn't mean the condition doesn't exist. I agree with the earlier comment of having it be the "middle man" in a stack up of parts. I realy don't like that idea either. I don't remember where I got the adapter, but at the time it seemed like a good idea. I'm looking forward to throwing it in the box with the rest of the "good ideas" that I don't use any more...lol...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armydog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 10T, and went with the 20MOA Badger adapter and some low rings. I have a a PRS but I'm probably going to change back to an A2. I don't like the location of the adjustable cheek rest on the PRS. Just can't get used to it. I have an IOR 3-18x42.
The Bobro is IMO the best QD mount out there, but if you don't need QD, I wouldn't go that route. </div></div>

I have the NF Mount on my Armalite AR10, very happy with it. And @ Steelcomp your not happy with your PRS? I was thinking about buying one as i'm not happy with with my A2 stock, maybe I should try one first. </div></div>The jury is still out. I still need to put the A2 on it with a lower scope mount and see how I like it. If you can find one to try, I'd recommend it.

well, as i've posted in the group buy ss 5-20 thread, i got my ar10t like 8 years ago when i was a younger adult. i drank the koolaid of the biggest baddest objective was the thing to have. so i bought an ATN 8-24x75 POS. haven't shot my ar but 4 outings since then. then i came across the group buy and decided it's time to put my .308 back into service.

now i'm older (35) and not as much an ignoramus. i've been reading as much as i can when i get a chance and i'm just starting to learn about mils/moa and basic fundamentals and all that good jazz. but like i said, i'm on a time constraint and want all opinions from all of you who've been there, done that. normally i'd research weeks to months and find my own answers. but i need to cheat this time around.

swfa has the badger 22moa adapter rail. but like i said, i don't wanna go that route. i love the aadmount's sheer brute stregth and structural integrity. but it is a bit high as far as aesthetics. i don't think the cheekweld would be too bad. remember, i have the shit ass 75mm objective on there now and the centerline is right at 1.625", just as the aadmount would be. so it's not that it's not comfy with the A2 stock as i'm used to it already, in bench mode or off hand anyway. but in prone, my cheekweld and my line of sight dips low and i can tell i personally want a lower mount. that, or a PRS. but that's more money as well and i have many hobbies to fund.

so, i WAS all about the aadmount, but now i'm leaning toward bobro. i love the new aadmount rings, but i'd still need that badger riser, so no go. i wish my man JON who sells them could have introduced those rings in 1.4" fashion, or a lower aadmount ar mount. i won't lie. i really like his product (asexually speaking). but i may pass in leiu of the bobro. i might have decided to check out the NF cantilever, but i wanna stay with swfa. they've been working with me and i'm seeing all the compliments said about them come to fruition.

so, once again, will the 5-20 swfa sshd and my .308 reach out to 1,000 with heavier ammo when i'm ready to walk down that road, or do i need the 20moa? i have so much to learn. i gotta start with the basics, it seems. i swear, i'm chasing my tail in circles.

thanks for all the advice thus far. much appreciated and taking it all into consideration.

This is a good thread and I am following it real close....I am researching a scope for my LMT MWS now. I am currently using a Trijicon TA11 in a LT mount. The center line of the scope is 1-5/8" (1.625") above the rail and feels comfortable, so this gives me a starting point to look for ring height . Still undecided on the rings/mount. Good thing about the MRP upper is a lot of real estate to mount the scope without worrying about the upper/handguard seam. Kind of leaning towards the ADM Recon now....I do not feel I need a cantilevered mount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will likely not need to go for a cantilever mount.
Mostl likely will a non cantilever mount work for you, so you also have the choise of a number of straight mounts.

Håkan </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bizill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Judging by pics and by the POS scope i have now, it's just about a necessity i get a cantilever. 4" eye relief dictates this, i believe. I want the spurh, but i'm a working case of champagne taste on a beer budget. </div></div>

after looking at the ar-10 picture thread at barfcom, i think i can go either way with a standard, or a cantilever mount. but i think to be safe i'll opt for a cantilever anyway. so for now i'm still leaning a bit toward the bobro.

swfa bobro

aadland aadmount

edit, now after visiting jon's aadmount website, i'm loving his aadmount more. then two hours from now...
cry.gif
crazy.gif

What exactly do you mean by "makeshift zero stop"? I don't see what advantage this offers you over just resetting the turrets. It definitely would give you more travel but if you don't need the mils then what is the advantage to keeping it on the first elevation setting?

Maybe it would minimize canting errors caused by poor form?

Simply makes it easier to tell if you're on the correct revolution when in low visibility. I know, that rarely happens, but some get really wrapped around the axle if a scope doesn't have a zero stop. This is a simple way around that.

I prefer to have the most available travel possible and not have to worry about topping out. It comes from having such restrictions using the Unertl and having to set at 10+3 and holding mil dots to get hits at 900yds on a cold day at sea level. Holding for elevation while also being limited to 4.5moa of available windage on a blustery day of qualifying taught me the value of having as much travel available.

I prefer to hold for wind and don't mind holding for elevation, but holding for both at once with a mildot reticle sucks. If I can get more, I will.

Like I said before, 1k yds/.308 can be done with a flat base but a canted base doesn't hurt either.

I have the Aadmount on my MaTen build and am very happy with it. It is a bit bulky and I wish it wasn't quite so high but works well.

today it's the aadmount. i have no need to remove my optic. some think the aadmount is fugly, i think it's sexy. strong. just a wee bit high is my ONLY complaint. but it was intended more for those with the prs as i gather. i think i may have to purchase both and hopefully swfa will allow me to return the one i don't keep without issue. i don't really need to torque it down. just drop the scope into said rings and loosely mount the tops and get my body and rifle into position. then i'll know. i fear that's the only way i'll know.

I use the Bobro QD "extended relief" mount and it is rock solid. No zero loss whatsoever.
@ Bizill careful not to leave ring marks on the one you want to return, that is usually a deal breaker I have found.

well, the wait for the new ss 5-20x50 is a blessing in disguise. it's affording me time to make up my mind on a base/rings. swfa and particularly Brady from swfa has been forgiving and a joy to work with. i've changed my mind a few times and i understand that with most retailers, they just want your money after making your decision ONCE and then hope never to hear from you again. well, i'm not sure if Brady wants to hear from me again, per se, LOL, but he didn't sound purturbed when i contacted him hopefully for the last time.

i have currently decided upon going with the badger ordnance rail/riser that adds the 22moa. i didn't want to go this route as i thought the rifle would look "too busy" with a rail piggybacking another rail. but i've gotten pm's that convince me otherwise. plus, it's more about form than function (edit: whoops, just proof-read and meant function over form). even if i had gone with the one piece aadmount,i'd get 2moa less than the badger riser.

being that i still love the aadmount but am not chosing to go with it left me at odds with my decision... that is, until i opted to go with aadland scope rings in its place. i chose the medium rings (.95") to go atop the badger which sits at .43" for a total of 1.38" top of flattop to centerline of the scope. this brings my eye down by a smooth 1/4". i feel this is not only a good compromise, but an optimal one.

tag