• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope base for Savage MKII fv-sr

signal5

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2007
tx
I recently bought a savage mk ii. It came with a 2 piece pic rail scope base. is there any advantage to having a one peice rail? Or any adavantage in getting a 20 moa rail? I planned on replacing the stock later. opinions? thanks

Re: Scope base for Savage MKII fv-sr

1-piece and 2-piece bases are one of those topics that will cause an all out argument between most members and some of the diehard 2-piece fans out there. From what i understand either way will ork usually but the general idea I get from it is that with less parts you usually have less chance for error. So if you drop the rifle one base may get out of alignment a little; on a 2-piece base, this would have to be much more dramatic to recieve the same result. I'm sure there are more reasons to go one way or the other but as for the 20 MOA rise bases, if you want to shoot long range (I'll guess 250 + depending on your scope's amount of "up") then you will need one. If it will only be shot at reletivly short range then it isn't necessairy, although they don't cost any more and give you more versatility in case you ever might want to stretch out further.

Also, not sure if you wanted opinions on replacement stocks or not but Richard's Microfit seems to have pretty good offerings at very reasonable prices. Otherwise, the Boyd's Tacticool is an ever popular choice.

-Dylan

Murphy precision will cut whatever you want.

Snagged a 40 minute off them a while back for my mark 2.

Definitely worth a look if you are wanting anything non-cookie cutter.

Before that I had good luck with an EGW 20 minute base. Good price and worked plenty well.

1 & 2 piece, 0 and + MOA rimfire scope bases, etc.

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">RIMFIRE TECHNOLOGIES</span> DIVERSIFIED INNOVATIVE PRODUCTS D.I.P. / EGW BASE REVIEW

if you do the google search, you'll end up with a ton of threads about it.

i like the 1 piece bases for several reasons.

1. +MOA bases help with getting enough "tilt" in the toward the front of the optic. this tilting effect allows the rimfire to be shot out at further distances without running out of elevation adjustment to compensate for the extreme arc of the ammo, or at least in the case of a 5 moa base - an additional 5 moa of elevation, 20 moa base gives 20 moa more of adjustment, etc.

2. the one piece construction and multiple mounting "slots" give you much more adaptability to mount ring and optic combinations in multiple places to help with eye releif.

3. the one piece construction and multiple mounting "slots" is better at keeping the rings away from critical points such as where junctions are on the tube (adjusment knob housing, objective bell beginning, etc.) where overtorqued or misalingned rings can play havoc, possibly causing crushing , bending, other damage to those areas.

4. there is more room to attach things like an anticant device or cosine indicator if you feel the need to train with those devices (an ACD is highly recommended).

5. if you feel the need to do so, you can use multiple optics using quick detach rings, with the ability to compensate for eye relief as mentioned in #2. a nice option to have on say a 10/22 that you want to run a telescopic sight and switch to a red dot perhaps.

6. the higher profile of the +MOA bases gives you more height for better clearance on larger objective lenses, especially if you run lens caps on it. this will also usually eliminate the need to buy higher rings if you decide to go with a larger objective lens.

7. as mentioned above, the 1 piece stiffens things up and offers 1 less less part that can go wrong compared to a 2 piece setup.

8. and lastly, they look freaking neat.

the only disadvantages that i can think of:

1. doing a open sight / see thru scope ring combo is nearly impossible to achieve.

2. the added height of the +MOA bases may mess up your cheek weld with the stock.

+1 for the EGW! I have one for 308 and ordered one today for my MKII! As top predator pointed out the only drawback is your cheek weld. But this is a problem that is easily fixed on any budget.