• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope base height

JimD72

Private
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2022
Chicago
Can anyone point me in the right direction? I’m trying to under stand scope base height. Building a .22LR was going to get a 20 moa base then I was informed about 30 moa and also 50 moa. What’s the deal with the different heights? I’m planning on shooting long range with this rifle 200-300 yards for fun and competing.
Thanks

It just gives you more elevation by readjusting the existing elevation in your scope. So if you had 100 moa in the scope and used a 20 moa base you would end up with 70 up and 30 down. With a 30 moa it would be 80 up and 20 down. I would never go 50 moa with a scope with only 100 moa but again depends on your scope. What scope you using?

Reactions: JimD72
That scope has 20 mils or 68 moa. I wouldn’t go over 20 moa with that scope.

Reactions: JimD72 and 6.5SH
I run a 30 moa rail on my CZ 457 MTR and would have go 40 moa but AREA 419 only has 30 and 50 moa. I am using a Vortex Venom with max 25 mils of travel. I lost 4.8 mils when I zeroed so I know 40 would work but not 50 moa.

Reactions: JimD72
the thing to consider IMO is the more canted rail you get = what for optical center shots (where is the super sweet spot - yardage). So you may be able to shoot further but your eye box will be more finicky than normal. Not a huge deal in the 20MOA category but 50-100MOA you better know exactly why you are doing that or you may end up thinking you're scope sucks....

It all comes down to the amount of elevation in the scope. Scopes like the Zeiss S3 4-25 and Tract 4-25 with about 47 mils of elevation or 160 moa then using a 60 moa or more base is fine.