• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Scope base + loctite question

TexanAviator

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2009
Houston
Noob mistake on my part last week. Followed Badgers instructions and used some loctite on the base and screws. Ended up having to take everything apart early yesterday and was left with a bit of loctite residue on the base and receiver. Got most of it off though. Reinstalled with BLUE loctite.

Should I be concerned about any type of shift in installation due to the residue? Or is it moot since I torqued everything back to where it should be and did it right this time?

Re: Scope base + loctite question

TEX,
DON'T use the red lok tite stuff. The blue works great. As Mr. Humble stated a little heat will take care of the old lok tite.

SOTA

I like the green wicking stuff. Torque the screws down and put 1/2 drop on the head. JD Jones of SSK fame once told me that life is too short to put lock tite on the screw threads. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sota</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TEX,
DON'T use the red lok tite stuff. The blue works great. As Mr. Humble stated a little heat will take care of the old lok tite.

SOTA </div></div>

I did not use red. It was green

Still a little bit of residue left over when I reinstalled the base with blue loctite but I seriously doubt it will affect anything.

I use the red on hard kickers. it is still no problem to remove with a pencil point torch.