• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Base Question

Anti-Materiel

Private
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2011
USA
Hi guys, I just got a new scope base & I wanted to ask if you guys use Blue Loctite or you just torque it down dry real good & call it a day.

I would just use some Loctite but I don't have any & can't get out to the store right now. Do you think it will come loose if I don't Loctite it?

Re: Scope Base Question

I use loctite on my base screws. I have also used clear fingernail polish before. But I only recommend that if you are in a pinch (if you actually have fingernail polish...
grin.gif
).

Chase B.

I also use blue loctite on my base screws. Just don't use red loctite (duh). I learned that lesson the hard way.

The Blue Loctite serves to prevent water from wicking between the action & base and causing rust to form there as much as it helps secure the screws from backing out.

I "bed" all my bases with Blue Loctite and have never had any problems with them. IMHO it is well worth waiting till you can get to the store and buy some.

OFG

Here's another question for you guys. I went to Walmart & looked at the Loctite & they have all different kinds. Can you tell me what kind I should get? I know it's the blue kind, but they had Super Glue, Epoxy & all kinds of stuff. I thought it was just plain ol' Loctite...

I usually grab mine at an auto parts store if you still need to find some

Yeah Loctite 242, or the Permatex blue threadlocker, stick or liquid. Essentially any medium strength threadlocker will do, Loctite although a brandname is used as a generic term for the stuff, and the industry tends to follow their color code.

DO read the package
DO NOT use a product requiring heat or any other special process for removal. It will make your life easier.