• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope base recoil lug necessary for .308

cjdun1234

Private
Minuteman
May 7, 2023
New Hampshire
Greetings! Is there any benefit to having a recoil lug on a one-piece scope base for a .308 bolt rifle? I have a Murphy Precision scope base on a recent rifle build, but was looking at the Farell Industries FG-Force with the adjustable recoil lug for a future project. Is the adjustable recoil lug worth it? Otherwise I am really happy with the beautiful build quality of the Murphy Precision base. Thanks!

Burris steel base has the lug too. I won’t buy another base without one no matter the cartridge. Just nice piece of mind with no negative effects.

Reactions: cjdun1234
Thanks! What are your thoughts on the adjustable lug vs a fixed lug?
I agree with OREGUN, if it moves, it will move. I think the purpose of the lug is to take some of the load off the mount screws, which is especially useful when using 30 plus ounce scopes on heavy recoiling rifles. I’m not familiar with the adjustable lug mounts, but I see potential problems with them, could be wrong though depending on how they’re made.

I agree with OREGUN, if it moves, it will move. I think the purpose of the lug is to take some of the load off the mount screws, which is especially useful when using 30 plus ounce scopes on heavy recoiling rifles. I’m not familiar with the adjustable lug mounts, but I see potential problems with them, could be wrong though depending on how they’re made.
The load isn't on the mounting screws. The base is held in place by the friction created by the clamping force.

NIghtforce steel base on my Bergara HMR holding a Vortex PST 5-25. Can't hurt, can it...

Last edited:
I would get with the lug. Many good actions like Tikka and many aftermarket or AI actions etc come with lugs or pins

With the weight of modern day optics it puts more stress on the base/action surface. I’ve personally seen a Burris eliminator shear all 4 screws off a Remington 700

Near Manufacturing makes a heck of a base with an integrated lug. Pro tip: call

Pics of his work (pics are of a one-piece mount with integrated rings, but you get the idea of the quality of his work)