• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope calculations

bigalow

pew
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2022
USA
www.donthaveadomain.com
Hi all-

Apologies if this has been asked but I didn't find anything that I thought specifically addressed what I am looking for. I have been poking around trying to find a formula or calculator that allows you to play with different rail/mount cants as well as other variables like different scope elevations in order to figure out what the effective range would be for a specific setup. I have used what seems to be more of a "rule of thumb" formula for what would be considered a safe or optimal setup ((Scope elevation - 15moa)/2 = Max advised rail+mount elevation) but thought it would be useful to have something that would help me calculate how far out a specific setup would be effective to. E.g. with a 20, 40 or 60 MOA rail/mount setup and say a 28 MILs of elevation, what would the effective distances you could view using the different cants without any hold over. Thanks.

1. Fully utilize your scope's elevation: I have a Vortex Viper PST 5-25 x50 FFP with listed 20 mils of elevation. To utilize its full range, I mounted it on a 40 moa (11.6 mils) cant base. Once I zeroed at 100 yards, I was able to use its "full+" 21.5 mils of scope adjustment.

2. Use zero offset solutions: I added an Eratac 20 mils adjustable scope mount. Once this is set to 20 mils, this gives me zero offset at the yardage of my ballistics at 20 mils. I can then use my scope adjustment from the zero offset.

There are other zero offset solutions too, i.e Charlie Tarac. The Eratac worked for me for the money I wanted to spend.

3. Use the scope's other features to cheat for more elevation: With holdover (10 mils reticle + 5.5 mils using the horizon as reference with 8-10x power), I have been able to get an effective 57 mils of elevation in a reasonably cheap manner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taylorbok
Like @jackmarchese mentioned if you use a mount that has half the cant of the internal scope adjustment you will be able to Zero at 100 yards and use all the elevation in the scope. Lots of people that play this game do run a zero offset.

I've moved to a zero offset that equates to about 1000 yard Zero, This allows me to dial to about 3300 (DA dependent) and then I can hold in the reticle to 2 miles.

Hey, thank you for the responses. I understand how to figure the optimal setup for a 100 yard zero as well as the benefits of zeroing at further distances. I was looking to see if there is a formula/calculator out there that would allow me to plug in different values for degrees/mils of cant, height above bore, amount of vertical scope elevation etc etc to have an idea of what distances my a optic would bottom/top out at. For example (completely fictitious numbers for the sake of the example): If my setup included a 20 MOA rail, 10 MOA mount, 2.5" BH, 100 MOA of elevation in the scope, what would be my min & max distances (75 yd min vs 2000 yd max? again, just example numbers) I should expect to achieve with the scope bottom and topped out. In my opinion, such a "calculator" or formula would be pretty useful in a number of ways. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Hey, thank you for the responses. I understand how to figure the optimal setup for a 100 yard zero as well as the benefits of zeroing at further distances. I was looking to see if there is a formula/calculator out there that would allow me to plug in different values for degrees/mils of cant, height above bore, amount of vertical scope elevation etc etc to have an idea of what distances my a optic would bottom/top out at. For example (completely fictitious numbers for the sake of the example): If my setup included a 20 MOA rail, 10 MOA mount, 2.5" BH, 100 MOA of elevation in the scope, what would be my min & max distances (75 yd min vs 2000 yd max? again, just example numbers) I should expect to achieve with the scope bottom and topped out. In my opinion, such a "calculator" or formula would be pretty useful in a number of ways. Thanks again.
A ballistic calculator… the same thing you use to figure out your firing solutions…

A ballistic calculator… the same thing you use to figure out your firing solutions…
I have a kestrel as well as the hornady app. How do I get either to tell me the min and max optical ranges of a specific setup? I'm not asking about a specific caliber of rifle (or bullet load etc), I'm asking about a specific optical setup and easily being able to adjust configurations to determine the impact of changing any of the variables and the overall results you would get. "With this specific setup, the minimum visual distance would be X and my maximum visual without holdover would be X."

Perhaps I don't understand ballistic calculators well enough to extrapolate that information. If that does work, would you or someone mind helping me determine what my minimum and maximum optical ranges would be with the example numbers I previously used? If someone could help with that, I would be able to figure out configurations on my own moving forward. Thanks.

I have a kestrel as well as the hornady app. How do I get either to tell me the min and max optical ranges of a specific setup? I'm not asking about a specific caliber of rifle (or bullet load etc), I'm asking about a specific optical setup and easily being able to adjust configurations to determine the impact of changing any of the variables and the overall results you would get. "With this specific setup, the minimum visual distance would be X and my maximum visual without holdover would be X."

Perhaps I don't understand ballistic calculators well enough to extrapolate that information. If that does work, would you or someone mind helping me determine what my minimum and maximum optical ranges would be with the example numbers I previously used? If someone could help with that, I would be able to figure out configurations on my own moving forward. Thanks.
It’s all dependent on DA and load. To figure everything out the way you want you’ll need to know how much elevation adjustment you have after you zero, how much hold and then all your environmentals, pull up the range table and see how far you can go.

With that above set up you’d have about 80moa of internal elevation which for my round gets me 2600-3000 yards depending on DA

Basically you find out how much elevation adjustment you are capable of making and then figure out how far that gets your round.

If you need help figuring out your elevation adjustment divide the amount the scope has by 2 and then add what ever your base/ mount is. If you go passed what the total elevation of the scope that difference is how much zero offset you will have.
120 moa scope on a 60 moa base gives you 120 elevation.

If you put that same scope on a 100 moa base you’ll have 160 moa elevation. But you’ll be 40 moa high at 100 yards.

It’s all dependent on DA and load. To figure everything out the way you want you’ll need to know how much elevation adjustment you have after you zero, how much hold and then all your environmentals, pull up the range table and see how far you can go.

With that above set up you’d have about 80moa of internal elevation which for my round gets me 2600-3000 yards depending on DA

Basically you find out how much elevation adjustment you are capable of making and then figure out how far that gets your round.

I appreciate your feedback, however you are trying to give me a solution that reflects bullet drop/ballistics etc when I am looking for a calculator/formula that just solves only for optics and mounting setup. I want to be able to crunch numbers and know exactly how close or far a specific setup will get me (visually not ballistically). I understand how to find elevation adjustments and offsets, I specifically want to know how to figure out how to find what effective visual minimum and maximum distances are with any given setup. Saying I have 120 MOA of elevation does not tell me what how close or how far that specific setup will allow me to visually see (in yards or meters). A setup that has a 50 MOA cant and a scope with 100 MOA of elevation will have a different min/max distance than a setup that has 100 MOA cant and a scope with only 50 MOA of travel. Make sense?

I appreciate your feedback, however you are trying to give me a solution that reflects bullet drop/ballistics etc when I am looking for a calculator/formula that just solves only for optics and mounting setup. I want to be able to crunch numbers and know exactly how close or far a specific setup will get me (visually not ballistically). I understand how to find elevation adjustments and offsets, I specifically want to know how to figure out how to find what effective visual minimum and maximum distances are with any given setup. Saying I have 120 MOA of elevation does not tell me what how close or how far that specific setup will allow me to visually see (in yards or meters). A setup that has a 50 MOA cant and a scope with 100 MOA of elevation will have a different min/max distance than a setup that has 100 MOA cant and a scope with only 50 MOA of travel. Make sense?
Do you mean like physically visually see? like actual vision? Because that’s basically weather dependent.

I’m uncertain where you are getting lost.

Every ammo combo has a different flight path so you need to know how much correction you are capable of making with the scope after that you use your calculator to figure out how far that will get you.

100 moa scope on a 50 base will allow you to zero at 100 yards and still give you 100 moa correction. Simple math.

A 50 moa scope on a 100 moa base will give you a max correction of 125 moa but now at 100 yards you are going to have a 75 moa offset. Which is gonna put your zero way out there like 2100 yards depending on ammo and DA.

(T/2)+ C= D + R= Total

T = Scope Travel
C= Cant of the optic
D= Dial elevation correction
R= Reticle Hold over

D-T= Zero offset at 100 yards
(this only matters if your cant is greater than half your optics available travel)

Now you need to use your calculator to find these numbers and see where your "zero" is and how far out you can go. which is dependent on your load and DA.

If you wanna know how far you can see that has absolutely nothing to do with the cant rail or mounting.

Reactions: Aftermath
You can use your range card. But you would need to look at both hot and cold weather. So you run two solutions:

1) Atmospherics of the coldest you ever plan for the rifle to perform at.
2) Atmospherics of the hottest you ever plan for the rifle to perform at.

This will give you your spread.

Then simply take your ballistic calculator and adjust it so your range card to whatever rounding you are comfortable with. 10 yards, 5 yards, 1 yard etc. Then simply look at your range card to the point where you run out of elevation adjustment. Perform this for both atmospheric scenarios.

Reactions: TheOtherAndrew
Do you mean like physically visually see? like actual vision? Because that’s basically weather dependent.

I’m uncertain where you are getting lost.

Every ammo combo has a different flight path so you need to know how much correction you are capable of making with the scope after that you use your calculator to figure out how far that will get you.

100 moa scope on a 50 base will allow you to zero at 100 yards and still give you 100 moa correction. Simple math.

A 50 moa scope on a 100 moa base will give you a max correction of 125 moa but now at 100 yards you are going to have a 75 moa offset. Which is gonna put your zero way out there like 2100 yards depending on ammo and DA.

After rereading my posts, it's apparent that I'm not being clear in what I am attempting to explain. I am not looking for anything that is weather or load dependent. Not looking to zero the setup at any specific distance. I am looking to mathematically determine what the minimum possible zero would be with a given setup. Then with the same setup, determine the maximum distance the crosshairs would cover (no holdover) when the scope is dialed to it's top end of travel. So if a laser was placed in the bore and pointed to where the crosshairs top out at, what would that distance be? So if you had that formula then swapped the scope elevation variable out for another scope that has a different amount of elevation travel, your minimum and maximum distances would change. The formula that I am attempting to describe would represent the physical setup (moa/mil) and spit out the physical distances (yards/meters) that the crosshairs would reach as you change the input variables (cant, height over barrel, elevation travel etc). Not looking to offset anything to have a zero at a specific distance, just want to know how to determine your minimum zero distance as well as what the maximum distance you can dial out to before maxing out with a given setup.

With my set up of 32 mils of elevation...I can see minimum of my feet and beyond the moon. I can see stars...but this is calculated off of Mils...for MOA it may be different. :)

I know you are joking but in your example, your setup whatever it is, has a minimum bottomed out crosshair visual/zero at ~2 yards. The topped out crosshair figure sounds to be 420388232.7 yards. For such an incredible spread, the scope must have some serious elevation! I would think that a mathematical expression exists that could solve for the unknown amount of travel required to make those #s work.

Hopefully I am explaining myself more clear this go around. Thanks to you all for taking the time to attempt to help me. Merry Christmas to everyone.

I think you are trying to ask. If I have scope max dialed down how far is that target it would hit. And now dial it all the way up and how far away is the object it’s pointing at?

Well the problem with that is when you dial up your crosshairs actually move down. So that object is closer.

For anything to make any sense it needs to be expressed in an angular measurement like moa or mils and then to have any relevance needs to be compared to a firing solution.

After rereading my posts, it's apparent that I'm not being clear in what I am attempting to explain. I am not looking for anything that is weather or load dependent. Not looking to zero the setup at any specific distance. I am looking to mathematically determine what the minimum possible zero would be with a given setup. Then with the same setup, determine the maximum distance the crosshairs would cover (no holdover) when the scope is dialed to it's top end of travel. So if a laser was placed in the bore and pointed to where the crosshairs top out at, what would that distance be? So if you had that formula then swapped the scope elevation variable out for another scope that has a different amount of elevation travel, your minimum and maximum distances would change. The formula that I am attempting to describe would represent the physical setup (moa/mil) and spit out the physical distances (yards/meters) that the crosshairs would reach as you change the input variables (cant, height over barrel, elevation travel etc). Not looking to offset anything to have a zero at a specific distance, just want to know how to determine your minimum zero distance as well as what the maximum distance you can dial out to before maxing out with a given setup.

I know you are joking but in your example, your setup whatever it is, has a minimum bottomed out crosshair visual/zero at ~2 yards. The topped out crosshair figure sounds to be 420388232.7 yards. For such an incredible spread, the scope must have some serious elevation! I would think that a mathematical expression exists that could solve for the unknown amount of travel required to make those #s work.

Hopefully I am explaining myself more clear this go around. Thanks to you all for taking the time to attempt to help me. Merry Christmas to everyone.
Post #11

I think you are trying to ask. If I have scope max dialed down how far is that target it would hit. And now dial it all the way up and how far away is the object it’s pointing at?

Well the problem with that is when you dial up your crosshairs actually move down. So that object is closer.

You are correct - just using the term top/topped out since the scope turrets say up, which I do understand that the crosshairs move down.

For anything to make any sense it needs to be expressed in an angular measurement like moa or mils and then to have any relevance needs to be compared to a firing solution.

The part in bold I guess what I don't understand. Why does there need to be a firing solution? I can mount a scope on a tripod without any firearm attached and still have a minimum and maximum crosshair distance. Even without a firearm, the crosshairs will have a measurable top/bottom distance that they will be pointing at with any given setup which has zero dependency on a firing solution.

Doesn't that formula require shooting? I admit I'm not fully understanding every variable.

(T/2)+ C= D + R= Total
T = Scope Travel, 28 Mils
C= Cant of the optic, 11.6 Mils
D= Dial elevation correction, ? Not sure I understand this variable.
R= Reticle Hold over, Zero? - again, I'm not concerned with hold over. Does this mean using the reticle for additional hold over beyond the center crosshairs?

(28/2) + 11.8
14+11.8=25.8
D + R = ???

Are you saying that there no way of solving for a physical setup mathematically without shooting a bullet? I guess I'm having a hard time wrap my head around why that is the case. Something else that I don't understand is how that formula does not take into consideration hight over bore. Should that not be utilized when attempting to solve what I am looking for? Perhaps put another way, I'm looking to calculate similar to a kestrel (or another calculator) minus the ballistics variables. The kestrel provides calculations for a specific load/da, but does not tell you physically what your specific minimum or maximum crosshair distance is. Back to the use of a bore laser, with my #s above (plus others like height over bore), I would think that you could mathematically solve for what distance the laser/crosshairs would point to at it's topped and bottomed out position. Perhaps I'm wrong. Just trying to understand.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Your optic with that set up will have 25.8 mils of dial, that’s the only number that matters. The reason it needs to be attached to a firing solution is every setup will go a different distance with that amount of dial, what the reticle is pointing at after you dial has absolutely zero relevance to how far you can shoot. As I mentioned earlier DA has a large impact on that as well, This difference can be several hundred yards.

You don’t need to shoot you can use your calculator to figure out how far it will be.

Height over bore has almost zero relevance to your firing solution.

In your laser situation if I put the reticle on target and locked it in a vise and dialed up the reticle would now be pointing at the ground somewhere between me and the target.

I think I understand your laser a bit better now. So I put reticle at the target. Now dial up and keep reticle on target the bore laser will be 25.8 mils over your target. What it’s actually hitting depends on terrain, if there’s a tall backstop it will hit that (a couple yards). If there is nothing behind your target the laser will go into the sky and hit nothing the distance would be infinity.

Look angle would have a lot to do with that also. 1 degree is about 17 mils so if you are slightly looking down would make the laser hit the ground also

Last edited:
You are correct - just using the term top/topped out since the scope turrets say up, which I do understand that the crosshairs move down.

The part in bold I guess what I don't understand. Why does there need to be a firing solution? I can mount a scope on a tripod without any firearm attached and still have a minimum and maximum crosshair distance. Even without a firearm, the crosshairs will have a measurable top/bottom distance that they will be pointing at with any given setup which has zero dependency on a firing solution.

Doesn't that formula require shooting? I admit I'm not fully understanding every variable.

(T/2)+ C= D + R= Total
T = Scope Travel, 28 Mils
C= Cant of the optic, 11.6 Mils
D= Dial elevation correction, ? Not sure I understand this variable.
R= Reticle Hold over, Zero? - again, I'm not concerned with hold over. Does this mean using the reticle for additional hold over beyond the center crosshairs?

(28/2) + 11.8
14+11.8=25.8
D + R = ???

Are you saying that there no way of solving for a physical setup mathematically without shooting a bullet? I guess I'm having a hard time wrap my head around why that is the case. Something else that I don't understand is how that formula does not take into consideration hight over bore. Should that not be utilized when attempting to solve what I am looking for? Perhaps put another way, I'm looking to calculate similar to a kestrel (or another calculator) minus the ballistics variables. The kestrel provides calculations for a specific load/da, but does not tell you physically what your specific minimum or maximum crosshair distance is. Back to the use of a bore laser, with my #s above (plus others like height over bore), I would think that you could mathematically solve for what distance the laser/crosshairs would point to at it's topped and bottomed out position. Perhaps I'm wrong. Just trying to understand.

Thanks again for your feedback.
I HIGHLY suggest you go take a class.

In your laser situation if I put the reticle on target and locked it in a vise and dialed up the reticle would now be pointing at the ground somewhere between me and the target.

This is partially what I am wanting to solve for. With no bullet involved, how is there a firing solution? Regardless of the type/caliber of rifle the optics setup is on (or none at all), if the amount of cant and the amount of elevation remain the same, the laser's spot on the ground and the laser spot 25.8 mils above should equal the same distance. Move the mounted optic to a different rifle or tripod base and those numbers should be the same weather it's on a pellet rifle or a 416 ct.

I think I understand your laser a bit better now. So I put reticle at the target. Now dial up and keep reticle on target the bore laser will be 25.8 mils over your target. What it’s actually hitting depends on terrain, if there’s a tall backstop it will hit that (a couple yards). If there is nothing behind your target the laser will go into the sky and hit nothing the distance would be infinity.

Getting closer. The "bottomed out" point/distance where the crosshairs cover when the reticle is at the upper most dialed position would be your minimum distance. That number, would not be dependent on bullet drop since we are strictly talking about the distance to where the reticle is pointed over. Then, instead of keeping the crosshairs on the same target, dial the reticle fully downward to the "topped out" position and calculate what the maximum distance that the 25.8 mils of would reach if that laser put a dot on a target where ever that maximum position is. Again, I should be able to put my mounted optic on a tripod or a bb gun and solve for the maximum distance that the reticle would reach/cover. If you use a laser or a 416 ct, you would only be able to dial to a certain distance with that specific combo of cant + elevation.

I HIGHLY suggest you go take a class.

More than willing to take a class. I have taken one in the past but there is always something more to learn. This is a discussion board where I am looking to learn something from those of you that are willing to share your knowledge. I'm currently waiting out the fog in Raton and about to go shoot in Spring Canyon where I was consistently hitting steel beyond a mile yesterday. I'm pretty sure I understand the basics of this discussion and know how to use the the tools I own. It seems to me some folks are not following what I am asking. What I'm asking about has nothing to do with a firing solution.

There is obviously some lapse in your understanding of how everything works. I’m not sure what yet.

In the laser situation like I said that is terrain dependent, if there’s nothing behind the target it would go to infinity. What relevance does that have? It’s a laser you don’t need to dial it will hit what ever you point it at.

That’s the reason you need
The firing solution, we know you have 25.8 mils. With 25.8 mils a 375 CT will go much farther than a 300WM. I’m not sure where you are getting lost in there?

Also your “bottomed out” number. If you are running 100 yard zero won’t be dependent on bullet drop. But if you are zeroed anywhere past that or running a zero offset it is drop dependent.

I thought I could understand what you are asking but I can’t seem to fully figure it out or what relevance it would have other than being able to point a laser into space

More than willing to take a class. I have taken one in the past but there is always something more to learn. This is a discussion board where I am looking to learn something from those of you that are willing to share your knowledge. I'm currently waiting out the fog in Raton and about to go shoot in Spring Canyon where I was consistently hitting steel beyond a mile yesterday. I'm pretty sure I understand the basics of this discussion and know how to use the the tools I own. It seems to me some folks are not following what I am asking. What I'm asking about has nothing to do with a firing solution.
but what you're asking effects the firing solution. why use all that info if the end result isn't your firing solution?

As far I can figure the answer you are looking for is 25.8 mils but you don’t know what to do with that info. Which is what I tried to explain in the first couple posts. Apply it to a firing solution to figure out how far it will go.

also posted that equation so you can figure out how much elevation correction you will have with different set ups.

Yeah, I am thinking that you don't know enough to be able to ask the question. That is not a dig. In fact, if you accept that your knowledge is lacking, as you seem to, it is a fantastic learning opportunity. You have a question but just can't quite formulate it. I do think if you and I were sitting at the cafe, we could figure this out. That's why I suggested a class...be able to be in person. I would venture to say, as you gain the knowledge required to actually formulate the question, you will discover the answer.

Yeah, I am thinking that you don't know enough to be able to ask the question.

Come to find out, it's much simpler explanation. My son who is an engineering student just reminded me that when you don't shoot in the mountains, you don't always have a backdrop in front of you that your reticle will have a backdrop where there is a measurable distance. It's been years since I have shot on flat ground. Feeling pretty silly after all this conversation that my misunderstanding was easily identified by a kid in his 20s. Thanks again to everyone who attempted to help explain things to me.

Come to find out, it's much simpler explanation. My son who is an engineering student just reminded me that when you don't shoot in the mountains, you don't always have a backdrop in front of you that your reticle will have a backdrop where there is a measurable distance. It's been years since I have shot on flat ground. Feeling pretty silly after all this conversation that my misunderstanding was easily identified by a kid in his 20s. Thanks again to everyone who attempted to help explain things to me.
FYI the distance to that mountain your laser would be hitting is as relevant as your distance to the moon.

FYI the distance to that mountain your laser would be hitting is as relevant as your distance to the moon.
We can agree to disagree. I personally would find it useful to know the distance my reticle is hovering over when viewing a mountain side. As I've continually stated, the interest in knowing has nothing to do with firing any bullets.

We can agree to disagree. I personally would find it useful to know the distance my reticle is hovering over when viewing a mountain side. As I've continually stated, the interest in knowing has nothing to do with firing any bullets.
So ya it has zero relevance. Thats literally the same thing as pointing your rifle at anything without adjusting the scope and saying hmm I wonder how far away that is.

What range finder do you use?

As you may guess, if you hunt in the mountains much at all, there will be times that your "backdrop" is even more than 10 miles away. So...what information is that? How will you use that information?
CABB8D97-E11E-4079-BE2F-BB94F23BF09D_1_105_c.jpeg
Cave Creek.jpeg
284C03A5-EE20-4FA4-9074-691D21FAF431_1_105_c.jpeg

As you may guess, if you hunt in the mountains much at all, there will be times that your "backdrop" is even more than 10 miles away. So...what information is that? How will you use that information?

Not looking to beat a dead horse here. It seems no one understood what I was initially thinking would be a handy formula which I finally realized would never work for flat ground. Some of you keep making up scenarios (10 miles away? How will I use that?) that have nothing to do with what my original question was searching out. I appreciate those of you that may have been trying to help but I just feel like you are trolling at this point. This mark up is what I had in my mind. Again, I realize the fault with that thought process. Pic borrowed from someone online.

scope.jpeg

This is my own pic. Yardages are an educated guess from my knowledge of that spot. Obviously not flat ground.
I am truly curious what that information should be telling me as I see it through the scope.
CABB8D97-E11E-4079-BE2F-BB94F23BF09D_1_105_c.jpeg

This is my own pic. Yardages are an educated guess from my knowledge of that spot. Obviously not flat ground.
I am truly curious what that information should be telling me as I see it through the scope.View attachment 8305109

It's not going to. Not sure how many times I need to say I see the fault in what I was originally thinking. The image was just an attempt to provide a visual example of what I had been thinking earlier in the thread. Again, I see the fault in that line of thought.

It's not going to. Not sure how many times I need to say I see the fault in what I was originally thinking. The image was just an attempt to provide a visual example of what I had been thinking earlier in the thread. Again, I see the fault in that line of thought.
Good for you to admit you had fault in reasoning but Even still in that picture you posted he’s run it into a firing solution, looks to be for a 22lr.

Good for you to admit you had fault in reasoning but Even still in that picture you posted he’s run it into a firing solution, looks to be for a 22lr.
Yes, you can apply a firing solution to it but as I have explained, I was looking to utilize the optics without applying a firing solution. Hence my example of mounting an optic to a tripod without a rifle. And again, I borrowed that image from somewhere online and simply marked up the fake reticle dots as a fake example for the purpose of explanation. It was not intended to be viewed as a real example of what I was solving for.