• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope cant and eyebox?

DMS1

Private
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2011
Fenton, Mi
I was just curious, with all the discussion of 40 MOA + cant on scope rails, would excessive cant magnify the issue of a scope with a fussy eyebox? I know the angle is slight, but are you not effectively looking through and ellipse ? Does this reduce vertical field of view?

I don't believe any of the characteristics of the scope will change at all since you still line up to the scope the same way. Basically you still look straight through the scope, but the rifle is pointed higher or lower depending moa of base. No change in eyebox either.

I didn't figure it was very significant, but if the scope is on an angle to the bore, and you are looking through the scope parallel to the bore there might be some affect.

I don't believe there is any loss in field of view or any change in eye box properties, because the adjustment movement is taking place in the erector system, before the ocular lens. The eye piece/ocular lens arrangement is mainly what dictates the eye box. There is some distortion introduced though, the further you go toward the edge of the field. It isn't ideal to be viewing the image continually with the adjustment maxed out. This was the idea behind the externally adjustable US optics Sn-9, I believe.

I didn't figure it was very significant, but if the scope is on an angle to the bore, and you are looking through the scope parallel to the bore there might be some affect.

It sounds like the assumption is that you are lining up your eye parallel with the barrel, but unless I am mistaken you will always line up behind the scope itself, meaning you should always position yourself straight inline with the scope which gives you maximum field of view. You are not actually lining up to the barrel, and the internal distortion from adjusting the turrets for windage or elevation is minimal, practically un-noticeable.