• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope change and huge issue holding zero - opinions needed

Akhunter907

Private
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2013
Well, wish I had taken a pic but my rifle has been shooting 1 moa easy. Most times better. It's a gap Barreled 6.5 saum.

I swapped a high dollar scope off a seldom used rifle i was having issues finding a good load at 100 with. First trip to the range at 300 I basically shot a "V" At 300 the spread was about 10 inches vertical and horizontal. But the rifle would put one in the bull every now and then too

Shot some golf balls too. Smoke one then with same hold be 4-10 inches high and off

I just ripped the rifle apart. But first checking everything for tightness. All was good there.

I'm stumped. I have the scope on another proven rifle for another range session, swapped the old scope back. I'll go get another range report. Minimize variables

At first I figured I had to have something loose. But now that everything was snug, figured I'd ask the question. If others have had this happen too. Recoil is obviously resetting zero. Just can't figure out where

At this point I'm thinking scope.....? but another range session with a different rifle should help

Opinions welcome!

Thanks

Last edited:
As me as a variable. I shot 2 other rifles and both acted just like they should.

Sounds like your scope may be mounted loosely in your rings, but I know you said you checked everything for tightness. Maybe go over everything with a torque wrench.

So you pulled a scope from a rifle that could not group. Installed it on your other rifle that groups well and now it shoots like a turd? Send the scope to the manufacture if you can, sounds like something is wrong from it. Unless I reaf all that wrong.

Ya, the other rifle not grouping has been in the back of my mind....... I should have waited for another range report to post maybe. It was the "v" group that had me stumped. Just never seen it. From my dope the elevation needed at 300 was 3 moa. Rifle shot between 0 and 3.

And ya, with a different scope this rifle is a hammer.

I will be the first to say, I had a rifle that shot amazing groups at 100y. But for the life of me I could not get it to group passed that. Finally after about 2 years....... I picked it up one day and noticed there was something shaking on the rifle. Further inspection showed one of my rings was machined wrong and would not clamp all the way down on the scope base, had nearly 1/16" of noticeable gap. At 100y I noticed no POI shift from recoil, but when I shot out to 300y and further there was absolutely no grouping.

To finish the story, I contacted the ring maker and received new ones in the mail. Zeroed the rifle and it shot very well out to 600m and then sold it, because I was still so ticked off by the loss of 2 years of reloading for it... And it was time for something new.