• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope choice help for new rifle

ghott

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2020
Hey guys - long time lurker, first time poster looking for some scope help. I'm a noob and I've been reading for several days. There are just so many choices :(

Recently purchased a Winchester Model 70 in 300 win mag and looking for some nice glass for it in the < $1000 range (not retail, but actual purchase price).

Use: hunting anything from white tail deer to elk and big horn. Ranges from 125yds to 500yds.
I know the caliber will go further, but I'm not confident in my ability beyond that distance quite yet.

Most important features in a scope for me are:
- Quality glass, good warranty, proven brand/product
- Reliable and repeatable external turret adjustment and tracking w/zero stop
- Durable - i.e. shock proof, water proof, and fog proof
- FFP reticle
- 50mm+ objective
- 30mm+ tube
- Min magnification in the 3 - 5 range
- Max magnification of 14 (don't really need anything more than this IMO?)
- Less than $1k out the door

Doesn't really matter if its MRAD or MOA - as long as the turret and reticle are in the same unit of measurement
Don't need illuminated reticle or anything like that

The scopes I'm currently considering after my initial research:
- Athlon Optics Ares BTR Gen II 2.5-15x50mm
- Meopta MeoPro Optika 3-18x50mm
- Meopta MeoPro Optika6 3-18x56mm (do I need a 56mm tho?)
- Nikon BLACK FX1000 4-16x50
- Vortex Viper HS LR 6-24x50 (min magnification is kinda high)
- Leupold VX-3i LRP 6.5-20x50mm (min magnification high here too)
- Leupold VX-3i LRP 4.5-14x50mm

Not gonna lie, the cheaper ones in my list above appeal to my wallet, but I don't want to cheap out on glass and regret it.

Any opinions on the above lineup? Any others I should consider?
Thanks for any and all help!

You do get what you pay for when buying optics. Having said that there are very good optics under $1000. If I were looking in that range I would go Vortex their customer service and warranty are great. For me the 3 things that are must haves are Zero stop, 34mm tube and min 50 objective. When you talk magnification i like more vs less.

You do get what you pay for when buying optics. Having said that there are very good optics under $1000. If I were looking in that range I would go Vortex their customer service and warranty are great. For me the 3 things that are must haves are Zero stop, 34mm tube and min 50 objective. When you talk magnification i like more vs less.

Odd to recommend a customer service instead of a scope... ;)

Of the scopes mentioned, the VX3 is a solid optic. Nothing flashy, but it would work just fine. And honorable mention would be the Optika 6. Nothing wrong with a 56mm objective. May as well run with it.

Last edited:
Scopes like any mechanical device can and will fail. With all things being equal the scopes that were mentioned are all very close in quality and glass. So It comes down to if you have issues which company will back their products that have failed and do so in timely manner. I know Vortex will with out question.
I have had to send both my Vortex and S&B scopes in for repair and both company's were outstanding to work with. The turn around was 2 weeks or less so this is a consideration to me when looking at new optics.

Reactions: ghott
I'd suggest getting the Steiner P4XI 4-16x56 from Doug @ CameraLandyNY. It's within your budget, and it delivers a ton of performance for the money, and I'd bet it will have better glass quality than any of the scopes you listed.

Reactions: ghott