• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope choices for DMR rifle

PRSDietitian

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2023
Texas
So I'm building an AR-10, got a few parts left, but almost done. Shooting 6.5 creedmoor, 22in barrel. This rifle will be used in PRS and field matches like snipers unknown, DMR matches, etc. I don't want to skimp on glass but of course I want to get a good deal where possible.

I don't want something that's more than I need. I haven't used much above 20x in most of my years shooting matches and since most don't go past 1200 yards I figured probably max out at 20x, maybe 25x but i feel the extra may not get used as much as I'd prefer. I was looking at the meopta optika6 3-18x50 since euro optic has a good deal, but I figured i'd look at other options in the under 1500 bracket. I know on EV I can get a steiner T6xi for that price range. Any others that ya'll would recommend? Obviously MRAD and christmas tree reticle is a given.

I run the XTRIII 3.3-18x50 on my 6.5 Creedmoor gasser with a 22" barrel. I personally find it just about perfect for this configuration at 29ozs and 13" in length.

Plenty of magnification for every PRS target I've shot at with it, and the best FOV for anything under 3k.

Comes with the SCR2 grid reticle in .2s and red or green illumination. Race Dial can be added, which I strongly recommend.

That radical is actually one of the reasons I also like the Steiner as well. I believe they are both made by the same optics factory as well.

I run the XTRIII 3.3-18x50 on my 6.5 Creedmoor gasser with a 22" barrel. I personally find it just about perfect for this configuration at 29ozs and 13" in length.

Plenty of magnification for every PRS target I've shot at with it, and the best FOV for anything under 3k.

Comes with the SCR2 grid reticle in .2s and red or green illumination. Race Dial can be added, which I strongly recommend.
This will be my next purchase for my precision AR

Next step is grab a NF 4-16 atacr mil XT

Reactions: Birddog6424
So I'm building an AR-10, got a few parts left, but almost done. Shooting 6.5 creedmoor, 22in barrel. This rifle will be used in PRS and field matches like snipers unknown, DMR matches, etc. I don't want to skimp on glass but of course I want to get a good deal where possible.

I don't want something that's more than I need. I haven't used much above 20x in most of my years shooting matches and since most don't go past 1200 yards I figured probably max out at 20x, maybe 25x but i feel the extra may not get used as much as I'd prefer. I was looking at the meopta optika6 3-18x50 since euro optic has a good deal, but I figured i'd look at other options in the under 1500 bracket. I know on EV I can get a steiner T6xi for that price range. Any others that ya'll would recommend? Obviously MRAD and christmas tree reticle is a given.
I have the Meopta on a .308 gas gun and it's a very nice optic with a great reticle (designed by Ilya I believe?). Very bright. My only caveat with it is the size. It's quite long and I'm waiting patiently for the Steiner 2-12 Mil version to be released. But the Meopta definitely punches well above its cost and I always like shooting behind it more vs. my other scopes, indoors or out. If Meopta could somehow shrink it a bit and not loose any of it's awesome image quality, it'd be a huge win. For reference, my Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 4.5-29X is smaller. I feel the Meopta is optically better/brighter than the Athlon but they're different mag ranges so not apples to apples. If you look through the Athlon and then through the Meopta, it's like someone turned on a light. I'd love to try out one of their R1 or R2 line scopes if they'd put better reticles in them.

I have the Meopta on a .308 gas gun and it's a very nice optic with a great reticle (designed by Ilya I believe?). Very bright. My only caveat with it is the size. It's quite long and I'm waiting patiently for the Steiner 2-12 Mil version to be released. But the Meopta definitely punches well above its cost and I always like shooting behind it more vs. my other scopes, indoors or out. If Meopta could somehow shrink it a bit and not loose any of it's awesome image quality, it'd be a huge win. For reference, my Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 4.5-29X is smaller. I feel the Meopta is optically better/brighter than the Athlon but they're different mag ranges so not apples to apples. If you look through the Athlon and then through the Meopta, it's like someone turned on a light. I'd love to try out one of their R1 or R2 line scopes if they'd put better reticles in them.
That’s good to hear! I know I can get one of them euro optic for under $800 with my discount. The three that I was considering was that, the tract 4-20 and Steiner t6xi 3-18. And I was curious what you get for the extra cost

I think 18x on a scope that goes to like 27x is better on a scope that goes only to 18x. The eyebox tends to be more generous.
Sub $1500 I think the leupolds 5-25 and 7-35 might be a solid choice (assuming you have the right credentials)--it'll look a little funny but they wont hold you back

That’s good to hear! I know I can get one of them euro optic for under $800 with my discount. The three that I was considering was that, the tract 4-20 and Steiner t6xi 3-18. And I was curious what you get for the extra cost
I've not used the Tract or the Steiner but I'm sure they're fine scopes. The Meopta is very forgiving in eye relief and eye box comparatively to higher mag scopes as Takashi mentioned. I don't feel like I'm missing anything with it other than wanting something a bit smaller these days.

hmmmmm xtr3 under 1k or meotpa optika6 under 800? I heard the tract has good glass but has tunneling issues with the 4-20. never shot that one, but i have the higher mag one a few times

And at the higher end of my budget i the steiner of course

I second the XTR-III 3.3-18x50... 👍🏼

I second the XTR-III 3.3-18x50... 👍🏼
How would that compare to the tract 4-25x50(not the 4-20 i mentioned before) for 1270 with mil discount, the t6xi under1400(cant say, the price is on EV). The XTRIII is between under 1000 on there too

How would that compare to the tract 4-25x50(not the 4-20 i mentioned before) for 1270 with mil discount, the t6xi under1400(cant say, the price is on EV). The XTRIII is between under 1000 on there too
IMO, I wouldn't buy a Tract scope, but that's just me. If you can swing the Steiner T6Xi, then go that route. If you want to spend less and get basically the same scope Internally...Get the XTR-III.

IMO, I wouldn't buy a Tract scope, but that's just me. If you can swing the Steiner T6Xi, then go that route. If you want to spend less and get basically the same scope Internally...Get the XTR-III.
With the new XTRIII Scopes, are the about the same as the xtr pro? I remember Rob say they t6xi were on par with the pro at least the 5-30x model

With the new XTRIII Scopes, are the about the same as the xtr pro? I remember Rob say they t6xi were on par with the pro at least the 5-30x model
Honestly, I havne't looked through one of the newer XTR Pro's, so I couldn't give you an honest answer on that. But I do have a newer production XTR-III 5.5-30x56 SCR2, and I have looked through a Steiner T6Xi, and they're both damn fine scopes. You wouldn't be disappointed either way. If you can swing the extra cash for the Steiner, then I'd go Steiner.

Honestly, I havne't looked through one of the newer XTR Pro's, so I couldn't give you an honest answer on that. But I do have a newer production XTR-III 5.5-30x56 SCR2, and I have looked through a Steiner T6Xi, and they're both damn fine scopes. You wouldn't be disappointed either way. If you can swing the extra cash for the Steiner, then I'd go Steiner.
yeah it's arond 400-500 more but i was planning a t6xi 5-30 when i was planning a bolt gun. That idea got scrapped for this build

On your earlier comment, what do you not like about tract? I heard some mentioned tunneling and the turrets are a bit tall

yeah it's arond 400-500 more but i was planning a t6xi 5-30 when i was planning a bolt gun. That idea got scrapped for this build

On your earlier comment, what do you not like about tract? I heard some mentioned tunneling and the turrets are a bit tall
I don't know, I just get a gut feeling they won't be around for the long-term... Nothing behind that, no rumors or anything, that's just my personal opinion, compared to a long-standing company, like Zeiss, Burris, Steiner, Kahles, NF, etc... that you know will be around forever.

And yeah, their turrets are grossly excessive in height, especially when you start dialing up... Also, I looked trough a couple different models (don't know what models, as I don't know the names of their models) over the last few years that others had at the range, and was just not that impressed for their price tags. 🤷🏼

Reactions: Ldecker81
How the PA GLX 3-18 compare to the Burris XTRIII? Assuming someone here has owned or used both?

Fair enough.
How the PA GLX 3-18 compare to the Burris XTRIII? Assuming someone here has owned or used both?
That's also a good question.
Personally in that 3-18/4-20 range, khales and ZCO are probably the top dogs. Maybe i could afford one of those one day. For now i think these questions are helping me narrow things down.

Fair enough.

That's also a good question.
Personally in that 3-18/4-20 range, khales and ZCO are probably the top dogs. Maybe i could afford one of those one day. For now i think these questions are helping me narrow things down.
I hope you don’t mind me asking. Certainly not trying to steal or derail your thread.

I’m currently trying to decide on an optic for a very accurate WOA barreled 556 I have. Currently wearing a Burris E1 4.5-14. But want to upgrade. I really want a NF 4-16 but that just doesn’t make sense for my use. So my budget is similar to yours or even less.

That PA scope shared similar features to the 4-16 atacr which is why I asked. Athena BPR reticle is what I’m looking at

I hope you don’t mind me asking. Certainly not trying to steal or derail your thread.

I’m currently trying to decide on an optic for a very accurate WOA barreled 556 I have. Currently wearing a Burris E1 4.5-14. But want to upgrade. I really want a NF 4-16 but that just doesn’t make sense for my use. So my budget is similar to yours or even less.

That PA scope shared similar features to the 4-16 atacr which is why I asked. Athena BPR reticle is what I’m looking at
I think for your use case, that would be a fantastic option. When I started this bill, I was considering something along the lines of the GLX 2.5-10, but I knew I needed more magnification ideally and then I went down the rabbit hole of glass quality. I think the Plx will do everything you need it to. Plus primary arms also has a good warranty.

Another option, could be even better if i can find one on sale in the PX. Euro optic Nightforce NX8 2.5-20 mil-xt demo optic for i think like 1650

Reactions: BCP
For those that have used the T6XI and the NX8, is the NX8 worth the extra 300 or so?

For DMR rifles, I'll go with the SWFA fixed 12x. Mil quad reticle. The SWFA will parallax down to 10m, so even if you are stuck at a 50y range, you can get accurate focus and parallax. That's a big part of the versatility. Glass is good enough that I can make out .223 bullet holes on paper at 100y and my eyes aren't the best. Price is affordable and great for its value too.

Tract glass is good to go. I have a 4-20 and wouldn't hesitate to get another if I needed it. It's been on an m1a for awhile now and hadn't let me down. Your other options definitely aren't bad either.

Leupold Mark 4HD. Either the 4.5-18x or 6-24x would be a good choice

I have the 6-24x on a 6 ARC

I'm running the atacr 4-16x42 on an 18" woa spr and think it's perfect. Previously ran a us version 3-18 xtr iii and don't regret spending the extra dough.

I don't know, I just get a gut feeling they won't be around for the long-term... Nothing behind that, no rumors or anything, that's just my personal opinion, compared to a long-standing company, like Zeiss, Burris, Steiner, Kahles, NF, etc... that you know will be around forever.

And yeah, their turrets are grossly excessive in height, especially when you start dialing up... Also, I looked trough a couple different models (don't know what models, as I don't know the names of their models) over the last few years that others had at the range, and was just not that impressed for their price tags. 🤷🏼
I thought they felt identical to looking through the Athlon Cronus. Great glass and build quality but the eye piece signature is very noticeable and the view through feels like your looking through a black tube and then the image appears.
Did I mention the great glass though! Just like the Cronus.

I thought they felt identical to looking through the Athlon Cronus. Great glass and build quality but the eye piece signature is very noticeable and the view through feels like your looking through a black tube and then the image appears.
Did I mention the great glass though! Just like the Cronus.
I don't like Athlon scopes, either... So, that explains why I didn't care for the Tracts I looked through.

I'd consider a Burris XTRIII at a minimum. Weight and size are important on an AR, so to avoid it being too top-heavy, I'd probably go with the 3.3-18x. The Steiner T6Xi in 3-18x would also work well, as would US Optics’ FDN 17x. For Nightforce, the NX8 2.5-20x or 4-32x would be good options (the 4-32x gets better reviews for image clarity). Alternatively, the ATACR 4-16x or 4-20x are great if you can stretch your budget or find a good used one.

In a lower price range, Bushnell offers the LRHS/LRTS, DMR2, or DMR3, all of which are excellent. I've used the LRHS, LRTS, DMR2, and XRS2 before and highly recommend them, but for an AR, the LRHS/LRTS and DMR2 are a better fit size and weight-wise. Athlon also offers solid choices from the Midas TAC and above price points, but they're Chinese-made except for the Cronus, in case that matters to you.

yeah im trying to get as much american or european made as i can so steiner and nightforce seemed like my top tier options for my price range. Though i've heard the nx8 2.5-20 is not worth the extra i'd pay compared to the T6Xi so i think i'm leaning that way. And they seem to havea good warranty