• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope choices..

ALShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2007
B'ham, AL
So I’m at a crossroads..

Currently I have a Razor hd gen II 3-18x50 on my hunting rifle and I am looking to upgrade and keep similar features.
I have narrowed it to:
  1. S&B pmii 3-12x54 ultra bright P4LP reticle
  2. Minox 3-15x50 MR2 unobtanium reticle
  3. Tangent theta 3-15x50 gen 2mil reticle
Anything else I should be looking at?
Clarity and low light performance are a must.. I know the victory ht 3-12x56 is good, but is unobtanium as well.

Thanks for any input!

What benifits do you most desire from this change? Second?

What do you usually hunt with this hunting rifle? Anything else? Where?
How much do you walk in a days hunt.

When you have an optic as solid and reliable as the one you have you will need to be very specific about details to get meaningful advice.

Last edited:
What benifits do you most desire from this change? Second?

What do you usually hunt with this hunting rifle? Anything else? Where?
How much do you walk in a days hunt.

When you have an optic as solid and reliable as the one you have you will need to be very specific about details to get meaningful advice.

Whitetail
Walk in to stand is about half a mile and back up the same but it’s a mountain.
Looking to save a little weight for off hand tree stand shots and mostly improve low light performance/overall optical clarity. Last or first few minutes of legal light is critical at my property.
Rifle also does paper punching out to 500yd. It’s a tikka t3 with a proof carbon 24” barrel in a X-ray chassis.

Reactions: diverdon
So I’m at a crossroads..

Currently I have a Razor hd gen II 3-18x50 on my hunting rifle and I am looking to upgrade and keep similar features.
I have narrowed it to:
  1. S&B pmii 3-12x54 ultra bright P4LP reticle
  2. Minox 3-15x50 MR2 unobtanium reticle
  3. Tangent theta 3-15x50 gen 2mil reticle
Anything else I should be looking at?
Clarity and low light performance are a must.. I know the victory ht 3-12x56 is good, but is unobtanium as well.

Thanks for any input!
If you're looking in that range, particularly the TT, then you must also look at the ZCO 4-20;

I have 5-27's and they are exemplary ! Many knowledgeable owners of the 4-20 have said they think it is the finest scope in it's class available today.

If you're looking in that range, particularly the TT, then you must also look at the ZCO 4-20;

I have 5-27's and they are exemplary ! Many knowledgeable owners of the 4-20 have said they think it is the finest scope in it's class available today.
I would second this. The glass is noticeably sharper at 300 yards from n moderate daylight even than my PMII.
Also you don’t need to spend that kind of money to get good light during near legal hours.

I would second this. The glass is noticeably sharper at 300 yards from n moderate daylight even than my PMII.
Also you don’t need to spend that kind of money to get good light during near legal hours.
Im aware, but have grown accustomed to the features on the gen II as I have a couple of them. Will take a look at the zco, the whole light transmission claim thing is always fun to decipher as they state 92% to eye and S&B is claiming 96% on the ultra bright.

The scope you have will get me 30 minutes past Sunset in November. which ends "legal light" where I live (NY)

A S&B might get you another 3 to 5 minutes. It will certainly save you enuf weight to bring a sandwich.

To save more weight get an aimpoint. To preserve your ability to shoot moa get one of the 1x to 10 x that have come out that last few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: ALShooter