• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope Clearance Over Rail

juanderlei

Private
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2021
Charlotte, NC
I recently had a new Night Force scope mounted onto my Daniel Defense V4 6.5 and there is nearly zero clearance between the rail and the scope. You might be able to slide a sheet of paper between the two, but it would be close.

It seems to me that this would be a real issue with two rigid surfaces touching in this environment. I’ve only shot the rifle a few times, but it shoots a tight grouping with the occasional round that is way off… like 6” to 8” off. Could this be because of the mount?

And regardless of the mount, what would cause that type of variation in grouping on a new gun?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the multiple questions. I’ve attached the best pictures I could find to show the issue.
79FC5281-66CC-4E1B-A67D-A05F873BC10D.jpeg
09EE8249-D49F-4452-9E14-EDF3278AB4E1.jpeg

Pictures of the groups would be useful. Are those five shot, ten shot, three shot?

If we assume your technique is solid, 6-8 inches indicates a substantial mechanical problem.

None of these should be an issue, but consider:
1. improperly torqued barrel nut
2. poorly machined/tolerances upper receiver and barrel extension
3. Something coming in contact with the barrel
4. Broken optic (just had this happen)
5. Garbage ammo

1-3 of the above will cause variable/unpredictable barrel harmonics, but cannot be casually observed (save perhaps #3).

Last edited:
Reactions: juanderlei
Thank you for your reply, I will check to see if I still have the target. They were 3 shot groups, but when I had the 2 rounds hit 6” to 8” off target, that was the end of that group. Those 2 rounds hit at approx 5 o’clock.

Do you have any thoughts on the scope touching or nearly touching the

To your question about the rings - if they aren’t torqued to the rail properly, if the rings aren’t tightened properly, it’ll be indistinguishable from busted optics.

The recoil lug on the rings should be seated forwards on/against the rail before tightening as a general thing (not trying to insult you, some folks don’t know).

Contact with a free floated hand guard should be a non-issue, though I guess there could be something to it… generally something you’d want to address anyhow.

Reactions: juanderlei
That scope touching should not a be a problem on a soft shooting 6.5 with rigid rails. You can take off the sunshade and see if that changes ( as suggested). But 5/6 inches off suggest much bigger SHIT IS LOOSE problems. is th 5/6 inches side to side, think loose mount.

Or is it just terrible ammo, but still 6 inches are hard to do.

PB