• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope clearance/ring height

civprod

Private
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2006
Virginia
I reviewed the sticky on this subject, but I just wanted to check my math and make sure that there wouldn't be a problem with the level of clearance.

I have a Bushnell 4200 with a 54 mm bell diameter. I am putting it on a Larue 20 moa base that is .321 inches which is 8.1534 mm. I want to use TPS low rings that are .925 inches tall, which is 23.495 mm.

Using the formula in the sticky it should clear: (8.1535 + 23.495)- (54 x .5) = 4.68 mm to clear. Even if I wanted to put on Butler caps, they should be about 3.1 mm thick so I would still have clearance.

Now my question is whether there is any problem with that little clearance. There was a post in the sticky where the person recommended leaving a .2 inch minimum clearance which would be 5 mm, so I would be short of this goal. Will that be a problem.

Re: Scope clearance/ring height

I would suggest giving SWFA a call to check your math. They are sponsors and sell the TPS rings so they should be more than happy to help. They were dead on with my scope clearances. Just my .02. Good luck!