• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes scope comparison

iceng

Non-Privates
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2017
South Aus
So I was able to get a bunch of scopes and did some testing. Checking colour, sharpness, etc. Interesting results. Still some more scopes I want to throw in the mix. There's also a kahles 624 and 525 we did.

100m, and 275m (tree branch, picking definition, etc).

All testing at 15x power.

3 people, checking and comparing. One scope against another, side by side. Trying to directly compare. Working out which one had better resolution, colour seperation, sharpness, edge of glass distortion, FOV, etc.

No results, as I'm not a pro. But very interesting.

Attachments

• IMG20200628154149.jpg
    IMG20200628154149.jpg
    684.4 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG20200627123021.jpg
    IMG20200627123021.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG20200627123016.jpg
    IMG20200627123016.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 93
not even going to mention a personal favorite?

I've been wanting to compare my glass with others like this but i shoot alone and only have 1 tier one scope.

You don't need to be a pro to have an opinion.
In some ways a less pro opinion can be worth more to the average pleb as the pros tend to nitpick tiny details that the average pleb will probably never pick up on under normal use.

Keen to hear how yo think the Razors compare to the S&Bs and ZCO.

Reactions: Jackomason
Pro tip, look at the order they are lined up in. May give an idea of how the results went. March 5-42 was the winner, however mine has gone back for warranty, I never shot with it on. USO was VERY close to it, and same with ZCO. Both insanely good. SnB were marginally under those, and there is a difference between pm2 FFP and SFP.

Orange and red seperation on the march was outstanding. Even green and blue was fantastic. Zco and USO you could see the colour red and orange, in the 6 colour band part. But every other scope looked like 4 colours. Yellow, then aqua blue mess, then pinky red mess, then blue.

SnB shone in the black and white definition / crisp lines. The rank of verticle lines, every decreasing, SnB did well.

Another one was in each corner, the colour bars. Picking the lines was impressive, barely detecting colour, to the point of thinking it's almost a grey scale, that was bad.

We did not perform tracking. Will do that another day, but expect close to perfection across the board.

The black and grey squares above the 6 colour bar, that was also a interesting tell. Some would "blur" to the white above it. You knew what it was ment to look like, but it just wasn't clean.

Will attempt to get some photos, but I'm not sure it will describe what we are looking for.

I'm not sure I would be grading those on that criteria. All the colors of the rainbow have very little representation at the rifle range or out in the wild. The contrast of the S&B is what I would be looking for.

The ability to provide resolution and contrast between objects has always been where the rubber meets the road. Seperating greens and browns, in and out of shadows. Is that the ass end of a black bear sticking out of the heavy shrubbery 600 yards away, or is it a burnt stump? Is that a deers head on the ridgeline, or a bush with ears?

Hold the phone.......are you trying to tell us that the Gen2 Razor literally came out on top??!!🤯🤫😂

He already said he liked the March best.

Maybe he was right to not share his opinion.....

Please elaborate on "difference between pm2 FFP and SFP" with the S&B.
Eye relief, how the colours are shown and how defined lines are. It was VERY minimal but side by side, there appears to be a difference. It's minimal.

I'm not sure I would be grading those on that criteria. All the colors of the rainbow have very little representation at the rifle range or out in the wild. The contrast of the S&B is what I would be looking for.

The ability to provide resolution and contrast between objects has always been where the rubber meets the road. Seperating greens and browns, in and out of shadows. Is that the ass end of a black bear sticking out of the heavy shrubbery 600 yards away, or is it a burnt stump? Is that a deers head on the ridgeline, or a bush with ears?
Why I originally said I'm not a pro, and it's subjective to me (or us as we tested). We also looked at a tree branch in shadow at 275m and picking define lines, twigs, etc. I did mention that in he first post, but I'll elaborate.

One scope, looking at a branch, and then looking in another scope, and comparing colours, contrasts, (browns, dark greens, etc) and seeing which on would help me spot areas easier. Looking at gumnuts for example, between brown leaves. How well could I identify things.