• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope covers

Bunnyblaster

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2010
Southern IL
Just wondering if there are any good alternatives to the Butler Creek Caps? I know Leupold makes some, and USO, but will they fit a NF 5.5-22x56?

I've just heard some not so good reviews and wondering if there's a better route.

thanks

Aaron

Re: Scope covers

Butler Creek are where it's at for flip up covers.

Do they break? If you use them hard, they will eventually. But for the price it's not a big deal to keep a spare set when you are going to a school or competition.

If you are stalking, then there isn't a lot that beats the rubber bikini covers. They seal out the water and they stay on like nothing.

Any recommendations for skinnier bikini covers?

My NXS is mounted so low the factory bikini covers won't slip on anymore.

Call USO and ask them if they have covers that will fit your scope. As Ive said before, I have lost all faith in BC covers, not the quality they used to be. Too brittle.

Thanks guys!

The leupolds are kind of high, but the ones I've seen look pretty well built. Anyone have experience with these?

I've never had a problem with the Butler Creek, but I'm pretty anal about taking care of my equipment. I just posted a thread asking the same thing. A #51 cap fits the 56mm. Midway has em for $8.99 but standard shipping is more than the cap!!

Actually I've seen transparent bikini caps on Steyr AUG native scope - that was something awesome. But I can't find them, either for AUG or for any other scope. I think it would be outstanding to put such covers, if I could only locate them.

I thought about picking some up at swfa with some TPS rings. They're 7.95 there. Not sure what the shipping runs. I try and wait till I need a bunch of reloading stuff before I make a Midway order. Shipping hasn't been too bad that way compared to spreading it out.

I looked at swfa but couldn't find any that fit. Midway also had US Optics for 12.99 but only found 44mm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunnyblaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The leupolds are kind of high, but the ones I've seen look pretty well built. Anyone have experience with these? </div></div>

I got them on my 6.5-20x50mm LRTs. I love them. Are really well machined and gives a perfect fit.

Am wondering if I could have something similar custom made for my Zeiss 72mm.

I think a lot of the Butler Creek problems are from the larger sizes, which are more and more popular recently.

Anything 50mm and bigger are just too much for the little hinge to hold together, and the slightest bump will break it.

Some of the sizes seem not to want to close and seal properly, also, but that has a lot to do with how the cap fits the scope.

Hellbender, the only problem I have had with the objective covers is it not staying closed. The eyepice covers are what break at the hinge for me, 4 sets thus far!

Thread Jack: what # flip-open eye cover would I need for a 3.5-15x56 NF scope. According to the specs on NF's site it is a 36mm ocular diameter.

I have 2 used NF's and actually asked the seller to send me the rubber bikini's with the second scope because I didn't like the BC's. With the rotating eyepiece, it screws me since I'm a lefty.

I have the rubber bikini on 2 of the 3 NF's that I own. The third one I'm putting a TAB cover on it because I can't get the rubber bikini over it because of how low it's mounted. I bought a used TAB on the 'Hide. It will probably only be on this rifle for 6 months, until I get worked through my que of rifles that are on the build list, it's slated to go on a 6 AI that's 3rd on my list right now.

I had the exact same problem with the bikini covers that came with my NF 8x32x56 NXS. My scope is mounted with about 2mm clearance from the bbl.

I just used a razor blade and trimmed the small rim from the rubber around the base of the bikini cover and it now fits fine.

Just a thought,
madd0c

You guys ever find an alternative to the BC's? They're worse than worthless if you have to carry your rifle slung for any distance. I just got a replacement BC for a broken one and it lasted all of one range trip and the OBJ cap cracked.

I don't mind spending a little to protect my optics but the BC's just don't cut it for hard use at all, and I'm lucky if I can get one match out of them and I'm open to suggestions.

I asked a while back about an alternative to BC flip caps, I would love a little larger bikini from BC for 50mm objectives. I have broken 5 caps in 2010 alone....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys ever find an alternative to the BC's? They're worse than worthless if you have to carry your rifle slung for any distance. I just got a replacement BC for a broken one and it lasted all of one range trip and the OBJ cap cracked.

I don't mind spending a little to protect my optics but the BC's just don't cut it for hard use at all, and I'm lucky if I can get one match out of them and I'm open to suggestions. </div></div>

I have heard great things from Tenebraex scope covers, I will be trying them out soon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt2143</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I asked a while back about an alternative to BC flip caps, I would love a little larger bikini from BC for 50mm objectives. I have broken 5 caps in 2010 alone.... </div></div>

You can order NF bikinis for $16 a pop. They're the best bikini covers I've found.

I'm actually leaning towards bikinis at this point but the neoprene covers seem to be a nice option as well. I just don't see using any type of mechanical covers again. Problem comes in when I'm carrying slung while wearing a backpack...never fails the lid pops open, snags on my pack and the slightest twist and snap. If they'd make them out of something other than drop forged chinese goat cheese it likely wouldn't be an issue. BC's belong in the $0.25 bargain bin at wally world and they're going for $20 a pop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You can order NF bikinis for $16 a pop. They're the best bikini covers I've found. </div></div>

Is there a site vendor that carries the NF's?