• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope covers.

Bigrederic

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2018
Petersburg Alaska
I was wondering what everyone was using for scope covers to protect their scopes while their rifles are in their safes. Someway to stop them from hitting or dinging each other as they are moved in and out of the safe??

Scopecoat is what I mostly use, prefer the thicker XP-6. Vinyl plastic tube end caps to fit over the turrets and wrap scope with vet wrap is another option.

I use restraint and basic motor functions to keep from banging things together in the safe. Its a pretty easy game honestly.
I do my best with this practice.. I am starting to run out of room.. and things are a bit closer in my safes then I want them to be. I am actually considering a vault room, I already have 2 33 gun Browning safes.. they hold no where near 33 guns each. I figured adding a cover to the scopes on my precision rifles would provide a bit of a buffer for them.

Reactions: Glassaholic
Scopecoat is what I mostly use, prefer the thicker XP-6. Vinyl plastic tube end caps to fit over the turrets and wrap scope with vet wrap is another option.
I have done the same for a couple of years.

Reactions: Bigrederic
Truth be known, I don't generally care if I scratch my stuff either.

Choose 6 to shoot, smear the rest in cosmoline, rap in bubble rap and pack into a safe with all the racks removed. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I use a scope coat, but that is because it is what I use in the field. Scratch's (on anything other than the glass) don't really bother me, keeping dust off the lenses is my primary goal.

I also usually have to sell something to buy something, so I don't have safe queens and it will get pounded in the mountains anyway. Once I can afforded to keep things just because, I might change my mind.

I have gun socks on stuff that's in long-term storage and neoprene covers on all my scopes. I agree with @supercorndogs that not pawing through your safe like an animal is your best line of defense, but I still like the extra padding of socks and neoprene. Especially if your safe is chronically over capacity...guilty as charged.

Reactions: Glassaholic
Get a larger safe
That is in the works.. butnbeing in rual Alaska makes it difficult.. I almost have to travel some place find one then rent a uhaul or find a one at a dealer that will deliver to the shipping company in Seattle. And hell Seattle these days has become like a no go zone... so that is on standby. To be honest we are looking at doning a vault door and building a literal valt in the basement...