• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Scope damage from fall?

Michael94

Private
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2020
Today was my first day with my new 22lr, a Tikka t1x in a krg bravo chassis, and an Athlon area BTR gen2. Everything was good, rifle shot great, but like all good things, it had to come to an end. When I was cleaning up, my lanyard got caught on the stock, pulling the rear, further onto the table, and the barrel to swing off the table. Rifle ended up falling off the table, based on the damage, looks like the right front corner of the chassis took the initial impact, followed by the scope, then the thread protector on the barrel. This was a fall of about 3ft into concrete. I'm usually pretty good with my stuff and feel horrible about what happened.

The objective bell got a little bit flattened where it took the hit, but doesn't look too bad. Has anyone encountered a similar mishap and was there any serious damage? Is there anything I should do with the scope and gun to make sure there isn't any permanent damage.

Attachments

• 20200614_202234.jpg
    20200614_202234.jpg
    577.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 20200614_202253.jpg
    20200614_202253.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 151
If it shoots fine then all you lost was about $100 dollars off the resale value of the scope.

If it works then keep going about your business. It happens. Usually a bell strike doesn’t effect operation. I’ve had it happen a couple times.

lol I have a bell that doesn't even allow a sunshade to thread due to a hit it took. It has been 10 years now. Keep on shooting until the scope tells you its dead.

I'll probably take a day off work this week to go to the range. Is there anything in particular I should look out for?

Nearly every scope I own looks like that to greater or lesser degrees. Especially the ones I compete with. Reload and carry on..

It'll buff out.. ;)

Reactions: Aescobar17