• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope Decision Help

ORbuick67

Private
Minuteman
May 26, 2021
Oregon
So I’m brand new to this. I bought a Tikka CTR in 6.5CM with a 24” barrel and now I need to pick glass to go with it. I’ve been reading a bunch but today was able to look through some glass at my local store.

Things I know I want: FFP, MIL’s, and a tree style reticle.
Things I don’t want: Chinese glass.
Intended use: no comps or hunting but hitting targets between 100-600m. There are 1K ranges within a couple hours but this is more going out in the backcountry and seeing what I can find.
Budget: up to $1k with MIL discount but that would be rings included.

I was leaning on getting a Vortex PST 5-25 as I think it is Filipino. I come in under budget and should be able to get matching rings. When I went to my local store I was able to see the Viper, a Nightforce SHV and another scope that was underwhelming. I was struck by how much nicer the nightforce seemed compared to the Viper. It makes me question getting the PST. Would I regret it and wish I had spent just a little more money?

The MIL discount also throws me off as I need to register for several programs just to see pricing. Bushnells website has given me fits and has refused to finish my registration three different times. Their Expert line looks nice as well.
For my use does the 5-25 range seem reasonable or would a 3-18 make more sense?

I’m a buy once cry once kind of person but I don’t want to spend more than I need to for what I’m doing. Does the Viper make the most sense for my use case? I am lost in the numbers and a little paralyzed by the options.

A second note, the CTR I bought was the first one I’d seen in months so I grabbed it. My wife went into labor during the purchase so I didn’t look at the rifle as close as I should have and now a week later I noticed that the front of the scope base rail is bent. The front screw was up a little and the rail is bent up. I wonder if someone bought it, tried to take it off, failed and returned it without comment. I’m going to call the shop to see if they will make it right but if not I will need to buy a new base. My fault for not catching it but my mind was elsewhere. Should I get another 0 MOA base like stock or get a 20 MOA base?

Thanks for your assistance.

I would go just above the pst line. I did the same thing and it wasn't long before I was getting a new scope. Hard to go wrong with a razor and you can get em used on here for a ton less and they all have the. Vortex warranty. I have NF too and I like NF but much much prefer vortex reticle. If you don't like the reticle, you won't like the scope. There's also several other good options, just make sure you like the reticle and don't overlook buying used on here, check feedback though.

IIRC here are certain tikka/sako rifles with mirage band pegs at the front of the pic rail area

Further reading...