• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Decision: Minox vs S&B

Airw4ves

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2014
Canada
www.youtube.com
Hello all, looking for some feedback as to which optic you feel is better suited to my needs. I have spent the last 3 months narrowing down my choices from the usual suspects, and have come to the decision of either going with the S&B PMII LT/MTC/LT 5-25x56, or the Minox ZP5 5-25x56. This will be mounted on my custom 6.5x47 L in a KRG W3 Chassis, and will be shot out to +/- 1000m for PRS/Practical Shooting type events. I plan on placing the optic in a Spuhr 4001 mount and swapping it onto a hunting rifle until I can save up for a lower power optic on that gun in the future. Im located in Canada so no TT for me as they’re a good $2000 more than either of these options.
Now for the Pro’s and Con’s

S&B Pros: Tried and True, Locking Turrets, Excellent Glass, Rugged, Can be found/purchased locally. Ship to US for repairs.

Minox Pros: Excellent Glass, MR2 Reticle really appeals to me, Weighs less, Comes with Tenaebrex Caps, $200 less, Its not a S&B so a bit of a unique piece on the range.

S&B Cons: Only Reticle Im finding interesting is the MSR, but I prefer the .2 holds on the MR2, it could just be me though and I could learn to use one effectively. Tunneling at <7 magnification (Which I find crazy they havent done something about after this long). Heavier. The illumination tumor.

Minox Cons: Unknown durability as its fairly new, Ship to Germeny for repair, Some have mentioned difficulty setting parallax. No local dealers and will have to ship from EU (damn ITAR, or Id use site sponsor).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm most interested in this comparison too. I ran a S&B 5-25 MSR for a couple of years and it's a really great optic. I've got a Minox ZP5 (with the MR4 reticle) on order based mainly on the outstanding reports I've read here (and in particular @wjm308's excellent review from earlier this year). According to Minox there's a significant delay with the MR4 reticle version of this scope so I'm expecting around a May/June 2018 delivery (placed an order mid October this year). I've also dealt with Minox directly with warranty work for another scope and they were extremely professional in dealing with the issue so I'm not concerned about having to ship a scope if needed.

Last edited:
I have a ZP5 w/ MR4 in a Spuhr 4001. It is an excellent combination. Now, I've looked through Schmidt's, I previously owned a TT. To my eyes, the TT and the Minox are pretty identical. The Schmidt is excellent as well but the TT and Minox edge it out slightly. Plus, the Minox and the TT do not tunnel at all. Schmidt Turrets and Minox turrets are similar. I actually like the 14mil per revolution on the Minox. The turrets are stiff and give you nice feedback, no slop. The parallax isn't difficult, it's just strange because you'll find yourself near the end of the parallax adjustment fairly early (500m). It's more of a mind thing

If you ever use the scope below 10x, go with the Minox.

Otherwise, pick the one with the reticle you prefer.

I slightly prefer the Minox because I think it performs better at lower magnifications, but at higher magnifications they are very comparable.

ILya

Last edited:
I'm with Ilya. I went with Minox because their MR4 reticle is perfect for me. The only comparable reticle S&B had is the Gen 2 XR, and I honestly think the MR4 is better. The glass is phenomenal and tracking has been excellent in the year+ I've owned it. I haven't had to deal with any warranty issues, thankfully, so I'm not sure if you still have to send the scope back to Germany. Word was once they switched from whoever was importing them in 2016 to Blaser that warranty repairs might be done in San Antonio, or at least might be some time in the future. Just something that might be worth looking into if you're really considering the Minox. Honestly, I am very happy with the Minox, but I don't think you can go wrong with either of your options.

Maybe its just me but scope covers would be the least of my concerns when choosing an optic at this price point. If both of them are that comparable (Ive never looked thru a Minox) then perhaps you should go with the reticle that best suits your needs for your intended application.

I'd choose based on the reticle choice that best suits you.

^ this.
The best glass and turrets with a reticle that doesn't do it for you isn't of much use.
Have heard enough about the Minox from people running them (of course, S&B as well) that I'm not worried about reliability (they're on my list at the moment possibly for both 1-8 and 5-25) that I'd focus on the reticle preference between them.

This coming from a S&B fan, I own 2 S&B scopes, but, I think either scope would serve you well. Pick the reticle you like and roll on. They’re both fantastic.

Roger
Thanks for the info and opinions! I think the Minox’s reticles appeal to me more and because of that, thats what I’ll be going with

Thanks again!

OK,a look from the other side...
if we talk about the subsequent sale - it is certain S&B PMII LT/MTC/LT 5-25x56
if you plan to leave forever - try Minox ZP5 5-25x56

Hello all, looking for some feedback as to which optic you feel is better suited to my needs. I have spent the last 3 months narrowing down my choices from the usual suspects, and have come to the decision of either going with the S&B PMII LT/MTC/LT 5-25x56, or the Minox ZP5 5-25x56. This will be mounted on my custom 6.5x47 L in a KRG W3 Chassis, and will be shot out to +/- 1000m for PRS/Practical Shooting type events. I plan on placing the optic in a Spuhr 4001 mount and swapping it onto a hunting rifle until I can save up for a lower power optic on that gun in the future. Im located in Canada so no TT for me as they’re a good $2000 more than either of these options.
Now for the Pro’s and Con’s

S&B Pros: Tried and True, Locking Turrets, Excellent Glass, Rugged, Can be found/purchased locally. Ship to US for repairs.

Minox Pros: Excellent Glass, MR2 Reticle really appeals to me, Weighs less, Comes with Tenaebrex Caps, $200 less, Its not a S&B so a bit of a unique piece on the range.

S&B Cons: Only Reticle Im finding interesting is the MSR, but I prefer the .2 holds on the MR2, it could just be me though and I could learn to use one effectively. Tunneling at <7 magnification (Which I find crazy they havent done something about after this long). Heavier. The illumination tumor.

Minox Cons: Unknown durability as its fairly new, Ship to Germeny for repair, Some have mentioned difficulty setting parallax. No local dealers and will have to ship from EU (damn ITAR, or Id use site sponsor).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OK,a look from the other side...
if we talk about the subsequent sale - it is certain S&B PMII LT/MTC/LT 5-25x56
if you plan to leave forever - try Minox ZP5 5-25x56

Sorry, Im probably just overtired from working the last 4 nights, but could you explain this? Just confused on the subsequent sale and leaving forever.

Sorry, Im probably just overtired from working the last 4 nights, but could you explain this? Just confused on the subsequent sale and leaving forever.

I believe he's saying the PM II is a known quantity and will always sell, whereas the Minox may be harder to sell or lose more value on the sale and therefore better to keep longer term? Personally, I've seen sellers here in the classifieds take $1K off MSRP for reticles other than MR4.