• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope decisions

Moonraker

Private
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2007
Gridley, CA
I'm looking to buy a scope for my .375CT. I have decided on a Schmidt and Bender 5-25x56. I'd like to hear your opinions of which scope would be best. I don't use the reticles a whole lot to gauge distance, etc. so I don't know that it is a big deal either way, but here are the choices:

5-25x56 P4F millirad turns, CCW

or

5-25x56 GenII XR 1/4 MOA, CCW

Thanks!
Steve

Re: Scope decisions

P4F model. While I'm a huge fan of the Gen II XR I'd give that up to have matched reticle and turrets.

if you go PH route you should go MIL/MIL matching your reticle to your turrets makes life a lil easier on yourself

I like the P4F reticle better between the two. I would pick the first one also because the reticle and knobs match.

Excellent choice on the scope. You'll love it. I sold my last S&B 5-25 in a moment of weakness and miss it still LOL But luckily I have another on the way. Exact same specs as your first scope actually.

Steve,

The S&B 5-25 is an outstanding scope. And I would also go with the P4F Mil/MIL.

However, one note. At a recent 2 day training session, with 12s shooter there were 4 S&B scopes represented. 1 5-25, 2 4-16's, and 1 3-12. All PMII's.

The 5-25 shooter was at times disconcerted at the very small eye box on his scope, at the higher powers as compared to the 4-16 and 3-12.

The eye box was twice a big on the smaller S&B's. By eye box I mean the length of the sweet spot fore and aft, when you can get a full sight picture without shadowing.

Not a deal breaker IMHO, from getting the 5-25, but just something to be aware of. In optics to get something, you have to give up something. In the S&B 5-25, it seems you give up some eye box length. Again not a huge deal, but there it is.

Bob

Thanks Bob and everyone. I decided on the P4F mil/mil scope. I think I'll be happy with it and everything is consistent which is always good.

Thanks again,
Steve

You'll be very satisfied with that choice. I have one with a genII and one with a P4F and I really like the P4. Just remember to get a 40moa base.