• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope delima

mceod

Private
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2011
29 Palms, CA
As I was cleaning the 700 after shooting this weekend and I noticed this on the INSIDE of the lens on a SWFA 5-20 NON-illuminated:
P8300029.jpg

I called SWFA and was pretty much given three options.

Option 1) Send it in now and wait for a warranty replacement to become available (which could take a while due to the current SWFA wait times and the fact it's a non-illuminated model)

Option 2) Get a refund and find another brand of scope

Option 3) Shoot it and wait until the warranty situation improves

Now, if it was you're scope and your money, which option would you go with?

Re: Scope delima

what scope is it? And is that some form of moisture inside the lens pack or what?

If it don't interfere with the center area you're looking thru and you didn't want to miss any matches I'd keep shooting it till warranty situation gets better but try to get something that says you'll be one of the first notified to send it in for repair/replacement. I think they should have kept a certain number back to handle situations like this.

Topstrap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Topstrap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think they should have kept a certain number back to handle situations like this.
Topstrap </div></div>

I think so too, but that argument is for a different thread. I don't shot in any matches so that's not really that big of a deal. I guess my big worry is if this will happen after only 62 rounds, what will happen next?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SASSdriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get a refund and buy a nightforce </div></div>

Thought about that too. But to get the options the SWFA has out of a NF, I'm looking at another grand on top of the refund.

I bought a super sniper from SWFA.. it was not a bad investment until I was shooting the Head Hunter at Thunder Valley and could not flat see 3 different targets... Tom Sarver handed me his rifle( topped with a NF) and the targets appearaed like they had a spot light on them. The SWFA super sniper is now on a .22
I am sold on nightforce..
shot 2 different Leopold scopes yesterday.. sighting in a pair of 300 RUMs for 2 buddies going elk hunting.. one was a 5-20 tactical MOA with mildots and the other was a 4-12.. The tactical scope was not the quality I remembered and the 4-12 was a complete piece of shit.

Get a refund and buy one of the SS 5-20x on the "Optics for Sale" forum. You'd probably come out on top.

I honestly don't see the point of this thread! At the end of your phone conversation, I bet you knew what you were going to do. Why start this thread and beat around the bush? Why not just start a "look at what happened to my new scope thread"? I'm sure that's your intention with this....and to give SWFA credit, I think they were very generous on the options that were offered.

I fail to see how it is generous. They shipped a sub par product, which happens in all companies. They cannot give an estimate as to when they will be able to replace it so they offered him his money back. That is perfectly reasonable but "very generous"?

It is not a sub-par product! It is a man-made artifact, that can, and in this case did break. Most likely the drops are lube, that have splattered during recoil.

And yes it is very generous, how many other makers offer money back? Not many. Most will offer to replace, and, or repair. At their convenience. That this is a small company, that has introduced a very popular, usable product, that is in high demand is now a bad thing? I don't get it...Where the hell is the common sense?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1time</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I fail to see how it is generous. They shipped a sub par product, which happens in all companies. They cannot give an estimate as to when they will be able to replace it so they offered him his money back. That is perfectly reasonable but "very generous"? </div></div>

Clearly from your <span style="font-size: 23pt">MASSIVE</span> post count, you are something of an authority on scopes, tactical or otherwise.

Since you've obviously never heard the phrase "Caveat Emptor" you'd better look it up.

The offer <span style="color: #FF0000">IS</span> very generous, and SWFA know full well that he's just gonna go on shooting with that scope until the warranty situation improves.

"Hey Man, you can shoot the shit out of our product, and do God knows what-all to it, and we'll STILL make it right"

Seems like a VERY generous offer to me.

But what would I know?

N

Get the cash, if that does not work get half the cash, if that does.... Run like hell to NF S&B or USO. Do not pass go do not collect...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SASSdriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a super sniper from SWFA.. it was not a bad investment until I was shooting the Head Hunter at Thunder Valley and could not flat see 3 different targets... Tom Sarver handed me his rifle( topped with a NF) and the targets appearaed like they had a spot light on them. The SWFA super sniper is now on a .22
I am sold on nightforce..
</div></div>

You had a 5-20 HD and thought there was that much of a difference? Or one of the non-HD models?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the cash, if that does not work get half the cash, if that does.... Run like hell to NF S&B or USO. Do not pass go do not collect...</div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is not a sub-par product! It is a man-made artifact, that can, and in this case did break. Most likely the drops are lube, that have splattered during recoil.

And yes it is very generous, how many other makers offer money back? Not many. Most will offer to replace, and, or repair. At their convenience. That this is a small company, that has introduced a very popular, usable product, that is in high demand is now a bad thing? I don't get it...Where the hell is the common sense? </div></div>

When I said sub par I was referring to that particular broken scope, not their line of scopes. Most companies have the ability to repair or replace a faulty scope. SWFA does not seem to have that ability. Again, I think their offer was reasonable. I just don't see it as generous. I see generous as going above and beyond. They offered the same thing Walmart would offer.

Caveat Emptor seems to be right in this case. While I own SWFA products and they have been %100 for me, in the future I will stay with companies that manufacture their own products. SWFA's hands are tied because they are waiting on some else to make the product for them. Night Force would simply have a tech fix it.

I am satisfied with the way SWFA is handling this, that's not the issue. They can't fix it right NOW, so they offered my money back. That's at least respectible.

I was thinking of keeping it around until the replacement becomes availible, but I just discovered the IOR 3.5x18, so I may get my money back and go that route.

The IOR is a nice scope. The glass is fantastic. The eye relief is a touch short but still useable. With a 308 I need a 20moa mount to get 1000 yards though. I love th MP-8 reticle.

It is in a 300 wm with a 20 MOA base, so I think I will be ok out to a 1000 and maybe even farther

I would shoot it till a replacement is available, their SS 5-20 HD is a very good scope.