• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope Dialing Drill

tnichols

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2010
Morley IA
Don't know if anyone else saw this, but in the Sept. 2011 issue of Shooting Illustrated, they offer a fairly simple but interesting drill that will test your ability to dial your scope correctly (under time constrants) and the by product is that it is a tracking drill for the scope itself. It's shot at 100 meters or yards and has the come ups and windage in Mils and MOA. You only need 6 rounds. Go to www.ShootingIllustrated.com "Tips" section, then click on "Drills" which allows you to print the target. A little tip. If you shoot the drill with MOA turrets, you WILL NOT end up back at your zero like the writer implies. Good luck and have fun.

Re: Scope Dialing Drill

Thanks. I'll give it a run this weekend.

Dave

Cut out the come up and windage card from the lower left corner of the target. Put your target at 100 meter/yards. All 6 of your shots will be using the #1 dot as an aiming reference. Have a buddy call out the come ups and windage. Start a timer at the first shot fired from a loaded weapon. Continue until you have fired all six rounds. You should end up with 2 hits on dot #1 and one round on the other five dots. The idea, according to the author, is to complete the drill within 1 minute, without misses, and if your shooting a Mil turrets, you'll end up back at your 100 meter/yard zero. MOA turrets will be just a click off coming back. It seems really easy until you do it with the clock running, and your doing the math in your head.

this is a great looking drill!.. I love their magazine read it all the time; I can't believe i missed this. Thank you for sharing.

I forgot to post my results. I think I still have the target at home. I'll post a pic when I get home from work. My Bushnell 10x40 Tactical did great. Me..well apparently I didn't. I believe I turned the windage knobby the wrong way for shot 4 and it went completely off the paper. I'll be shooting this under time as per tnichols in the future. Good stuff!

I haven't had a chance to do it with a buddy giving me the call outs, but shot it with my bolt gun and my wifes AR just on my own. I think under a minute with a bolt gun (especially one with an internal magazine) would be tough. Good practice though, especially for fellas that only have access to 100 yd. ranges. Sorry I didn't post a link right to the article. I'm not all that handy with computers.

This is okay I guess.
But I find placing sticky dots at random on a large target/cardboard much more adequate. I've never done it under time constraints, though. It's a great idea...I'm going to have to try it with the larger adjustment range of randomly placed dots.

Good read >HERE< for checking your scope. The random dot thing is referenced there by sobrbiker883 as well. (credit was given to Lowlight for the idea but I haven't found it yet. Sorry.)

Happy shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would be good practice. My zero stop will prevent me from doing this. </div></div>

Correct. That is the down side to this drill.

It's not that hard to make your own drill up.

Print up a sheet with one dot and a bunch of smiley faces on it, squares, whatever. Post it up on the target backer at 100Y.

Take a ruler and measure out five random smiley faces from the center of the dot. Record the L/R and Up/Down in inches. Remember to go to the center of the smiley face.

If you're shooting MIL, just convert the inches (==MOA@100Y) to MILS by multiplying by 3.438.

Put the dot at the bottom so you don't have the zero stop issue.

Shoot this with a buddy and you pick eachother's targets. Just provide the measurements and go.

If you want to get tricky, Provide the measurements to your buddy in different units. e.g. 13.4cm, 134mm, .185 feet, 0.08 yards, etc. Or make the measurements feed off the last successful shot. :)

We did this drill in our last match (props to the inventor, Hellbender) and it received both strident accolades and nonstop curses. Nobody was indifferent to it, I can tell you that.

I have posted the target if anyone wants.

http://bhtcorps.com/HellBenderTargetOnly.pdf

--Fargo007