• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Fieldcraft Scope Dope??

testedone

Private
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2007
TN
www.repentandlive.org
Am I missing something..or am I just trying to make something hard that should be easy?

I have my rifle zero'd at 100 yards and I am moving up to my 200 yard range and 600 yard range.

I have re-zero'd my turrets after achieving my 100 yard zero.

Now I have the scope dope.com charts and using iSnipe from my iPhone I have filled the charts out for 200 & 600 using the load I will be shooting which is the same load I zero'd at.

200 yards I have to dial in 1.76 MOA (scope is a SS10x42 with 1/4 MOA)

600 yards I have to dial in 14.74 MOA (44 clicks)

On Windage at 600 yards it tells me to adjust for .3 MOA which is -1 click..

yes this may be a stupid question but on the adjustment for negative numbers just go in the opposite direction on the turret??

New to this game so I want to be sure before I go blow my ammo without the proper understanding.

Thanks for any guidance

Re: Scope Dope??

Wind from the left pushes the bullet to the right= 1 click left
Wind from the right pushes the bullet to the left= 1 click right

They must not have evolved to have R and L markings on the turret increasing from 0 but should have a -----R----> directional indicator on the knob or scope body.

Google popped this image up from another thread:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim1071</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the #3. This one has a windage stop.

2v26t1w.jpg
</div></div>

Just imagine it like that.

I would forget about the + or the -, and simply use left or right.
When I use the iphone Ballistic FTE application, it tells me exactly what I need for the wind, but a quick dope card I put on my flip up cap is referring to 5 mph wind @ 90 degree.

Say at 200yd, it shows 0.2mil, then if the wind coming from the left @ 90 degree, I turn 0.2mil to the right, and if wind from the right, I turn 0.2mil to the left. If wind is estimated at 10mph, I double the 0.2mil, if its at 45 degree, I divide the 0.2mil by half, etc.....

Your windage turret should have a marking showing you which way is to the right and which way is to the left. Just follow that and make adjustment after wind estimation.

Hope this helps ya~

Dyl..

Thanks Target in Sight..

my confusion comes from switching between the iSnipe which tells me exactly which way to move up or down in the ACTUAL direction to correct..

Whereas the FTE I am using tells me the path...

So sticking to right and left and up and down is better..

I bought FTE this morning and I have to say using the isnipe is a lot easier to use... And is LOS function is easier to use also

But I do like the HUD function in the FTE...

Is it that I am not understanding the output of the FTE..when I compare the output of iSnipe versus FTE the FTE shows elev as a negative number but the wind on both programs are the same

I guess for me when I see a negative in the windage it means go left??

I have not tried iSnipe, so I can not comment on that, nor do I know the differences.

In elevation, the negative means the bullet path drop "below" your zero.
If you try to change your zero at 300yard, you should see the DOPE on 100~290 without the negative sign, which means the bullet path is "above" your 300 yard zero.
I use 100 yard zero so I only turn my elevation knob in one direction, and holdover only too.

In windage, the negative meaning wind coming from left, which when you set it to 270 degrees. Notice the value is same as if you set it to 90 degree. Hence I suggest to only set it at 90 degree to get the value, and you to determine whether to compensate to left or right (windage knob or hold).

This is how I do it so its easy enough for myself not to think too much and less error would occur when I have less things to think about. Hope this helps~

Dyl..

ok, so let me follow with another question...

If I zero @ 100 yards and lets say on the day I zero the wind is at 13mph....Now I go back and shoot on another day and the wind is at say 3mph and I am shooting at the same distance (this case 100 yards) do I compensate in windage for a 10mph difference or just for the current 3mph??

Zero is always for your elevation, as wind changes all the time.
You will have a hard come ups which you calculate and shoot to prove/modify the come ups out to certain distance, at certain location(s). When you changed to a new location, your hard come ups will become a soft come up(for reference) as the environment changes.

Oh! and just so you know, at 100 yards, wind doesn't really effect your bullet, unless you are shooting small rim fire calibers. So when you have your gun zeroed at 100 yard, wind should be set at "0" on the turret too. When you reach out to distance where wind takes effect, dial/hold for wind.

Wind is a tricky thing, I am also learning, but its rewarding when you make correct wind call once a while, whether skill or luck had to do with it!
smile.gif

Dyl..

Thanks, I am going back to the range this afternoon to re-zero at 100 then shoot at the 200. I think I will keep my zero for 200 since that is primarily where I will shoot at with this rifle...200 & 600 is where I plan to spend my time..

I think I need a 100 power scope though these old eyes of mine are getting worse...
grin.gif

Good luck, and have fun!

10x is enough, but more couldn't hurt, however, I find 15~16x to be the most comfortable to shoot from 100~600 yards, but that's just me.
smile.gif

Dyl..

I am going to work with the SS10x42 I have and see how it works out, later i will try out my Millet TRS-1 4-16 and see how that works out

Well it was good evening at the range... learned a little

I zero'd at 100 using my cheapo ammom 146 grain..

Then I switched to my federal 175 SMK..there was difference I was not expecting...

So I zero'd with the 175 SMK at 100 then went to the 200 and adjusted then zero'd my turrets at 200..

Thanks for your help in straightening me out on some of these issues, made my range time more productive!

Glad to hear that! I learned from the Hide, and once a while have chances to give back some to the community.
smile.gif

Dyl..