• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope export

john2000

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 14, 2008
Land of the Midnight Sun
I am looking to get a couple of scopes and wonder if anyone could answer this:

Does anyone know how much an export license is?

Would this require an import license as well?
(Import licenses are required for firearms but not scopes where I`m at, but does Dept of State require it anyway to issue export license?)

Would an ACOG be under "military restrictions" and be banned from exporting?

Would eventually repairs/warranty work require optics to be re-imported into US for repair, with all the paperwork required, or is this a straightforward deal simply mailing it?

I am simply looking for straight answers, and if possible tips regarding retailers who also does export jobs to avoid involving a 3rd party FFL.

Thanks guys!

John - out

Re: Scope export

Location Norway, Trijicon ACOG is US made.

There are dealers over here as well but the prices are hilarious, and so are lead times...

Scopes are not subject to export licence unless the reticle is MilDot or TMR, both considered as "Military reticle".

Your will not be able, as a particular, to export such item because a "end user" declaration is needed, only delivered by compagnies (customer side).

ACOG required an export licence, of course plus a "end-user" declaration, but is also forbidden for non-military and non-police members in CEE because of tritium inside.

Export licence usualy costs about 100$

If the Country of Origin is the US. It may fall under ITAR.

Your best bet is to find an import broker as mistakes can cause a lot of headache.

This may be the case in France, but here, tritium is not an issue.
We do not have any restrictions on what you can have regarding optics, as long as you bought it legally somewhere.
Battery-operated NVs used during hunting is outlawed but anything else is gtg.

When I exported a rifle complete with optics a few months ago (from the US) I signed the end-user declaration (DSP-83) and the local PD stamped and approved it all just to be sure...
So import is not an issue as they sell these things over here but pricing is like I said hilarious...

International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)

TITLE 22--FOREIGN RELATIONS

CHAPTER I--DEPARTMENT OF STATE

PART 121 -- THE UNITED STATES MUNITIONS LIST

Category I—Firearms, Close Assault Weapons and Combat Shotguns
*(a) Nonautomatic and semi-automatic firearms to caliber .50 inclusive (12.7 mm).
*(b) Fully automatic firearms to .50 caliber inclusive (12.7 mm).
*(c) Firearms or other weapons (e.g. insurgency-counterinsurgency, close assault weapons systems) having a special military application regardless of caliber.
*(d) Combat shotguns. This includes any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches.
*(e) Silencers, mufflers, sound and flash suppressors for the articles in (a) through (d) of this category and their specifically designed, modified or adapted components and parts.
(f) <span style="color: #CC0000">Riflescopes manufactured to military specifications</span> (See category XII(c) for controls on night sighting devices.)
*(g) Barrels, cylinders, receivers (frames) or complete breech mechanisms for the articles in paragraphs (a) through (d) of this category.
<span style="color: #FF0000">(h) Components, parts, accessories and attachments for the articles in paragraphs (a) through (g) of this category.</span>

Section (h) is the catch all of ITAR that many people miss.

Thanks Triad!

So according to this, even Butler Creek lenscaps that would fit a mil-dot scope, and a Blue Force sling that would fit an M4/AR15 could be questionable?

I know for a fact that exporting firearms is no big deal using an FFL for the paperwork and shipping.
Guess its not worth the hassle and I just have to dig up the extra c-notes to my local parts-pusher...

Sidenote; could you guys please speed up the GWOT with all due force and get it over with once and for all, preferably ASAP so we can go back to buying the shit we need without bans and being suspected members of the ObL fanclub? :p
You got my full support!

John - out

ACOG is under ITAR,no way to norway
ask LAN world.com they makes export license to EU
will cost 250USD and 3 month time delivery

Actually it isn't that much more expensive here. You are only looking for about $200 more from a dealer here compared to what you pay from SWFA with shipping and Norwegian tax added.

Of course that means you right in that it isn't worth it getting one exported for you. Unless you could combine it with someone else and share the costs.

John,

Its a fine line between parts and accessories. In ITAR there is a section that specifically EXCLUDES slings from the list of controlled items. Phoenix Tactical has pretty strong information supporting their stance that the PT products are accessories to an accessory and therefore not covered by ITAR. Go figure that out, no bi pods, but feet are OK.