• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes scope for 1500yards

Bluejazz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2009
IOWA
I have a 338/408 Chey-Tac coming in about a month, and am undecided on a scope to put on it. I have a 5.5x22-50mm NXS and have used it to 950yards, but have not shot to 1500 yards yet. This new rifle will get me to that distance. My question is do I need an 8x32 or does mirage not allow the use of that much power? Thought about the new Premier 5x25 for this rig. Any feedback welcome. i would like to know what scope you guys are using that shoot at beyond 1000 yards.

Re: scope for 1500yards

I've shot a 408 Chey Tac to 2000 yards on an MOA sized target with a 5.5-22x50 Nightforce. You have an excellent optic right now for what you want to do.

there are a number of great scopes in arena you mentioned. S&B 5-25 is my most recent purchase and it is amazing. But there is no reason that you couldn't go out to 1500 with that NXS. Just get a 20moa base or more. The list is endless as I'm sure the up coming posts with show you. Just my .02.
Malc

I don't shoot beyond 1,000 yards due to the geography here, but my personal rule of thumb is that I like the target to appear no further than 100 yards. In your case, 1,500 yards would mean 15x scope or more using my arbitrary made-up standard. At 30x, the target will appear 50 yards away. If I were going for 1,500 yards, I'd look at the 3.5-15x NXS as a starting point, but since you have a 5.5-22x NXS, I would just stick with that. That's a very nice scope, and does your job just fine. 1,500/22 = 68 yards is what a target will appear like. That should be no problem. The crosshairs will subtend a much smaller area than the dispersion of the shots.

Your scope is GTG.

8X is enough (depending on cross hair thickness) for 1 moa targets
10X will allow you to quarter same. Unless your after a very small target at 1500 your scope is enough.

Thanks for the responses. I should have made my post more clear in regards to the scope I have now is staying on the rifle that it is on at present. I am looking to buy another scope for the " BIG RIG ". Since I am happy with the Nightforce I have, it seems another is in order. I was curious about the new Premier thou, however I am used to MOA turrets and reticle and I see the Premier only comes in mils.
Any more feedback will be appreciated.

I love Nightforce and have several, and in fact have the NXS 8-32 on my .50.Great glass, but 32x is in fact only useful in certain lighting and when mirage isn't present.You could go with it OR the 5.5-22, but I think if you're leaning towards longer ranges most times I think the 8-32 will serve you better.Can't comment on other scopes as I have not looked thru them.

8-32 only has 65 MOA of elevation. 22x is more than enough power and you get 100 MOA of elevation.

Any comments on whether a hashmark reticle is needed or just standard crosshairs for 1000+ yards. Since dope will be dialed, I don't see an advantage to having vertical hashmarks. Any thoughts.

Seeing as you like MOA I'd go with one of the NP reticles. Either the R1 or R2 depending on what you like. Can be used like a standard cross hair and gives the added advantage of being able to be used for hold overs/under and wind.

Rob01,
I have not run the ballistics yet to see where I would need to use the hashmarks for holdover after running out of dial up. My guess is with a 30MOA base and 100MOA with the Nightforce I probably would not need the hashmarks for holdover. The best of both worlds might be the Nightforce 5.5x22 with the NP-R2 reticle. Not as busy as the NP-R1 but yet has the advantage of being able to be used for holdover if needed. What scope and reticle do you use for your longrange rig ?

Using holds isn't just for when you run out of elevation which you probably won't with that scope. There are many other reasons to use holds.

The scope I used when using the 408 had the NP R2 reticle. Like you said not too busy and was no problem quartering the target at 2000 yards.

If not for holds, you need a divided reticle for corrections.

If your first shot splashes, it is easier to count the tick marks and then dail corrections.

I have a Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 on my .50 cal AR-50, and have no problem shooting it at 1 mile.

I have a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 on my .300 Win Mag, and have no problem shooting it at 1,000 yds.

For me it comes down to:
- How "accurate" you want to be at whatever distance you are shooting. IMHO there is a big difference between simply hitting a target center mass versus trying to shoot a sub moa group. If you look at the "practical / tactical" versus the "competitive / ultimate accurate" shooters you will see 2 very different mindsets when it comes to scope selection. Tell a Tactical Shooter to use a 42 power scope with 1/8 MOA adjustments and they will laugh, tell a Benchrest Shooter to use a 10 power scope with 1/2 MOA adjustments and they will laugh.

- Food for thought:
1/2 MOA adjustments: 1,000 yds = 5" / 1,500 yds = 7.5” / 2,000 yds = 10”
1/4 MOA adjustments: 1,000 yds = 2.5" / 1,500 yds = 3.75” / 2,000 yds = 5”
1/8 MOA adjustments: 1,000 yds = 1.25" / 1,500 yds = 1.87” / 2,000 yds = 2.5”
So what level of adjustment do you need, at 1,500 yards do you want to move your point of impact 1.8” or 7.5” with each click on the scope? Once again, it comes down to are you just trying to get a center mass hit on a 6”x9” or 9”x12” silhouette, or are your trying to get a hit on a 3” X-Ring on a competition target.

- I prefer the higher magnification when it comes to competitively shooting at long range. The more magnification, the more precisely you can identify your point of aim. If you look at F-Class and Benchrest the standard is 32x or 42x. There will be times when due to the conditions, such as strong mirage, that you will have to back the magnification down. If you have the higher magnification, but don't need it, you can always back it down. If you want the higher magnification, but don't have it, you are TSOL.

- I don't get totally hung up on available moa in a scope. I would like 100 moa, but if I can get at least 50 moa, then I can always throw on a 20 or 30 minute base. You obviously don't want to run out of adjustment, but nothing says you are just stuck with the MOA available in the scope.

- Reticles are another example of typically being specific to the application. If you need to range find and the application is tactical, then you are talking Mil-Dot, NP-R1 or R2, or a TMR reticle. If you are talking strictly competitive shooting, then you are looking at a dot or fine cross hair. Personally I don’t think that you can beat the versatility of a reticle like the NP-R1 or R2 for any application.

Sorry for the long winded rambling, but I don’t think the answer when it comes to scope selection is as always as cut and dry as some people like to make it out to be. You can have a sub moa tack driving rifle, but it will only perform as well as the scope on it will allow it to, especially when go beyond the 1,000 yard mark.

In terms of any one particular model, Nightforce, Premier, Schmidt & Bender, and Zeiss Hensoldt all offer some really good scopes. IMHO it comes down to, how much money do you want to spend and what features/options do you really need for you shooting application?

Sorry once again for the rambling, hopefully it all makes sense and will help somone!
M Richardson

Excellent points made by all. Having not shot to 1500 yards my goals are somewhat vague, due to I don't know what I am capable of. At my level of skill at this time, I would be happy to shoot MOA at those distances.However, always need to accomodate for skill improvement in my scope choice.I think 1/4 MOA adjustments are sufficient at this time. I don't compete, just passionate about longrange shooting and learning how to improve my abilities. I guess you could say my goal would be center of mass target. Also, excellent points about follow up shots and using the hashmarks to determine corrective adjustments. I learned something knew today .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smudaaar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I were you I would buy this scope for $2800 uso sn9

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...808#Post1295808

Scope lists nib for about $3600 </div></div>

I am not trying to side track this, or turn it into an optics rating report, but!

I have talked to a number of "top tier" shooters recently who are not happy with USO scopes. They are reporting out of box problems / failures which seem to point to a QC problem. I also personally saw a scope with a Parallax Adjustment which would not work. US Optics fixed all of these issues with no questions asked, but the people who had the problems are not real happy paying $3,000+ for a scope that has issues out of the box, and stopped working under "routine" use.

I am not sure if this was just a bad batch of scopes, or due to changes in the production or QC process? USO obviously has built a good reputation, so this was kind of surprising to me.

Just food for thought, as always check around and see what other users have to say.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

yeah that SN9 does kick ass, you been able to shoot it out there a ways yet?

600 yards is the furthest I can shoot around my house. I need to drive up north(in Michigan if I want to shoot some distance)

Make you life simple and buy a S&B 5-25x 56mm w/ P4F illum reticle in MRAD adjustments. It will do everything you could hope for and you will never look back and question your decision.

Tim

With regard to magnification: Under 1000 yards I find myself dialing back to 12x or 15x most of the time, no matter what scope I am using. Out to 1500 or so, I also find myself dialing back to 17x most of the time.

With regard to scopes: The NF 5.5-22x56 SFP NPR/MOA should be ideal according to what you say you want. The SB 5-25 is probably better, because of better optics, but also much more expensive and probably not worth twice the price. I think with the NF the x50 is all you need for most things, but the x56 version should be better for darker days and maybe also for extended use at highest power.

Here I had a NF 5.5-22x50. To 1000 yards it was ideal. But the image looked a tad dark, or maybe just indistinct, even on a sunny day, at 1800 yards. So, I dialed back to 17x and the image was about perfect:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...397#Post1214397

My preference is for FFP reticles, although they can get quite large at 20x. However, I don't want to worry about having the scope on the correct magnification if I decide to use the reticle for holdover shooting (problem w/Second Focal Plane). That is the only reason I didn't go with a Night Force 5.5-22x on my 50 BMG.

I shot a mile with my .260 under my nf 5.5x22 I only had 4moa left but it did it and that is 1760. Your 338-408 will shoot much flatter so if you had atleast 20moa base a 8-32 would work. I had to come up all 60 moa then use 17moa on my npr1 but I hit my target.

Thanks for all the replies.
I think I will stick with the 5.5x22-50mm NXS for this rifle, as I have not read any feedback so far on the Premier 5x25 that warrants going to the higher priced scope. That might change when more of the guys that have them start posting reviews.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bluejazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 338/408 Chey-Tac coming in about a month, and am undecided on a scope to put on it. I have a 5.5x22-50mm NXS and have used it to 950yards, but have not shot to 1500 yards yet. This new rifle will get me to that distance. My question is do I need an 8x32 or does mirage not allow the use of that much power? Thought about the new Premier 5x25 for this rig. Any feedback welcome. i would like to know what scope you guys are using that shoot at beyond 1000 yards.</div></div> Blue,
stick with the NF NXS 8-32x56,you can always to the power down.but atleast you will have the option to turn up the power on those nice days.if you need more elevation,just add a 20 or 40 min base.

SN3 is the way to go.

I am overly happy with my SN3 5-25x56 TPAL.

Sometimes when mirage conditions are right I can distringuish faces at extreme distances. Not from two similar ones but a moustache or beard. I had never been able to do that with my prevous scopes (european top dollar) or leupolds 20X.
I dont know if the NSX can have that kind of resolution but I wont shoot with anything else than my SN3.
I have to buy a new scope for competition FT/R and USO does not have anything over 25X that I can use. That makes me unhappy.
Eduardo